Thread: Bow for christmas! :D

Default Bow for christmas! :D

Got the exact bow I was saving up to get. Its the edge by Diamond (Bowtech)
    Specs are

Peaked at 52 Pounds
    28 Inch pull
    Cobra 3 pin sight
    Built on 4 arrow quiver
    Stabalizer

really beautiful bow, hopefully ill be able to get enough practice this winter to try kodiak deer next year- possible first hunt ever aswell

This is my first real hunting bow, any advice?

Happy holidays!

Congratulation's!

The Edge is a solid bow and you will enjoy it! Double check your draw length against the settings and make sure it's exactly right; then drop the poundage so you can comfortability shoot (you don't need it at "peak" starting out). Then practice, practice, practice focusing on form. Drop me a line if you need any help.

And don't forget to register it! Important for a number of reasons but, you could also win a diamond!

Have fun!
    Paul

FISHWACKER CONGRATS ON THE NEW BOW. COUPLE TIMES A WEEK PRACTICE AND YOU SHOULD BE IN GREAT SHAPE FOR DEER HUNTING THIS FALL.
    I ALSO GOT A NEW BOW ABOUT 10 DAYS AGO, FOR CHRISTMAS. MY WIFE WAS NOT AWARE SHE WAS GIVING ME SUCH A NICE EARLY PRESENT
    I GOT THE BOWTECH, GENERAL AT ARCHERS DEN VERY PLEASED WITH THE BOW SO FAR. HAVE ONLY BEEN ABLE TO SHOOT ONCE WHEN AT HOME , GOT MY NEW REST AND NEW SIGHT ON THE BOW AND SHOT AT THE NEW RANGE IN SOLDOTNA. WAS GROUPING WELL AND MOVING CLOSER TO BULLSEYE. VERY FAST AND QUIET. MINE HAS SPEED CAMS BUT I'M GETTING THE SMOOTH CAMS FROM ARCHERS DEN WHEN THEY GET THEM IN. PLAN ON SHOOTING TO NIGHT HER AT WORK AND WILL PROBABLY SHOOT EVERY NIGHT THIS WEEK.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE NEW BOW
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Very cool. Congrats. I took up bow hunting a few years ago simply to take advantage of Oklahoma's long archery season for whitetail. It turned out that I love bow hunting, and while I still gun hunt it is mush more rewarding to take an animal at close range with a bow than a rifle any day. Plus archery is geared toward us gear and gadget people.

Default Congratulations

Congratulations Fishwacker. Now PRACTICE! Maybe you can get your parents to take you to Archers Den for a practice session. For a beginner, having someone that can just give you some basic hints will help tremendously. It is certainly more enjoyable being able to hit something from the start.

BowTechs are great bows. I have a Pro40 Dully and a Constitution.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up

THUMBS UP, To what Daveinthebush said, is better to begin with someone that can teach you proper form and can give you good pointners. Believe me, when you pick up bad habits they area hard to break. I believe that good practice makes perfection. Another thing you should consider, if is not already done is to have the bow proper fitted and tune, it will aliviated a lots frustrations latter on. Congratulation in your new bow.

Default Fishwacker

Do you have any broadheads? If not, I have 12-14, 125 grain three blade Thunderheads. All are used but still good. You may have to sharpen the blades a little and you will need O-rings. Sportsmans Warehouse should have them.

If you want the broadheads, they are yours! Just PM me an address.

Daveinthebush, you are mighty generous. Fishwacker get those TH I think they Thunder Heads are some fine broadheads. I still use them and had kill 3 Elks all of them pass through, the last one only went around 50yds. Dave what kind of broadheads are you shooting now days?

Default Broadheads

What am I shooting now? Humm..... Well I tried Slick Tricks and am totally satisfied with them for some animals (caribou, deer, black bears). They have not failed me yet.

But I drew a moose tag this past fall and wanted a cut-on-impact head with a swept back blade that "sliced" instead of "diced". I was up in Fairbanks and got a great deal on Magnus SS 125 grain Snuffers. I have not taken an animal with them yet but accuracy wise they are excellent. The bh's are excellent in quality, sharpen easily and accurate. I will try them this spring.

Talk about generosity! Thanks alot dave - pm sent

Default No Problem

It is no problem. I have had them just sitting for years. Why not let someone use them that needs them. I will probably get them out on Monday. Have to set some traps today if the seas are calm and post office is closed tomorrow.

What else do you need? Maybe some of our fellow archers have other stuff they don't use.

No rush at all on the time- take as long as you need and good luck on the traps

Well im goin out to buy a 3d deer target pretty soon, only thing extra that i can really see a need for is some busted up target practicing arrows

Default First Target

Fishwacker: If I was going to buy my first target, I would go for a block type target. Then you have a target side, some have deer vital sides and you can rotate it. It is much more versatile than a deer target.

Animal targets are great for hunting practice but expensive and not as versatile. I have a deer and a black bear but for daily practice choose the blocks. For a beginner a Black Hole is a cheap entry target. For something that will last, go for the largest Block you can afford. Mine has been active for 7 years, taken apart, reassembled and shot again. It is still in the woodshop at work taking punishment.

Just some thoughts for you.

Default How do you rebuild a Block?

Dave,

You just mentioned something that I'd like to learn.....you said that you've taken apart and rebuilt your Block. I have two of them since I got one at a yard sale cheap. I've left one outside to make shooting often easier, and I'm putting arrows through it too far now. They're striking the plywood backstop that I have right behind it. That's going to punish my practice broadheads more than I like. I started shooting at different spots on the target, but rebuilding it would be even better.

Sooooo, you've peaked my interest. I can imagine how relatively easy disassembly would be since the Block is just a bunch of layers that are firmly held together by the outer shrink wrap. But, what's the easiest way to reassemble the layers tightly once that outer layer has been cut? I'd really like to extend the life of my targets!

Thanks for the great post and generosity!

Mike

Default Re-working a block

Re-working a Block

1. Cut off shrink wrap from outside.

2. Carefully cut the bands on the sides with tin snips. Watch the ends as they are sharp and under pressure.

3. Remove top section of wood, flip and remove bottom section of wood.

4. Take about 1/4 of the top section and 1/4 of the bottom section and place together to make a new middle.

5. Take the used middle section and slit into 1/4's, put these on the top and bottom of the new middle section.

6. Replace wood on top and bottom.

7. If you have access to a bander, reband the block. If no bander, 2 cheap ratchet straps will also work to re-tighten. It will take some adjusting as you reband, but a little frustration in everyone's life makes the harder times easier.

shoot a lot! Fill burlap bags with plastic and you got cheap feild point targets.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.