Thread: Outer Barrel rust

Default Outer Barrel rust

Went Hunting this year on a ATV and I had the gun rack on the front (Just the two pegs that hold it in place). Went through alot more mud and rain than I expected. Well needless to say, I forgot to clean the barrel right away, and noticed when we returned home the rust on the outer part of the barrel. Sprayed WD40 all over the barrel a couple of times and let it soak in good, then I cleaned the rifle a few times. You can see a little rust still on the outside of the barrel, and was wondering what it would take to remove it? Or should I just forget about it and continue hunting?

Default Try a Wally Rag

Iím not sure if it will get the existing rust off your barrel? But going forward it will certainly prove excellent protection.

http://www.regtqm.com/gunsupplies2.htm

Talking

Try some very fine steel wool with your WD40. Used it a few times and it works great, with no visable or apparent damage.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Try some very fine steel wool with your WD40. Used it a few times and it works great, with no visable or apparent damage.
    I have used the same, but bronze wool instead of steel wool. Takes the rust, but leaves the bluing. Don;t forget to cold blue the bare spot to prevent rust. I little paste wax over that is added protection...or Rustoleum works real good...Hope that helps...

My favorite exterior metal treatment is Shooters Choise Rust Prevent.

Yep, steel wool will remove blueing. WD-40 works OK, but is nowhere near great for either removing surface rust or preventing it. Try something like an LPS or what I have found works best for protection birchwood casey's SHEATH. KROIL works great with a worn (low nap) rag for removing it, and it too will leave the blueing on the gun.
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?