Thread: New Boyds JRS on my Ruger...

Default New Boyds JRS on my Ruger...

So this is my Christmas gift from my wife... a new stock for the 338 Win Mag, and it sure is perty. Beats the heck out of the old boat paddle. Well, feast your eyes... what do you think?

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

Looks very nice. I really like the laminated look over the plain synthetic look when trying to beat the elements.

I bought a Boyds JRS last year and after returning it for two different replacements they still couldn't get me a stock that was inlet properly.

They all had 1/8in gaps around the whole action. If it wasn't sold as a "drop in" stock I would have thought it was inlet to be complete action bedded.

After a day in the field with a light drizzle all day I unloaded the rifle (hinged floorplate) and couldn't get the floorplate to close again (ever...). This, as well as the whole sloppy inletting thing prompted me to just get a credit to my credit card and I bought a synthetic stock for the rifle.

The whole point of my story was.... I was wondering how does yours fit?

Again, looks great.

Mike

Mine fit pretty darn good. I had to sand out the barrel channel of course... no big deal there, it looks good and I can slide a sheet of paper all the way down now. The action area was pretty tight but it was drop in. Where my magazine floorplate bolts on was maybe just a tiny smidge crooked... so I actually pushed just a little bit on it and it fits great now??? Maybe I had to tweak it just a little to make it fit smooth.

All in all it was a pretty good fit. Everything dropped in and wasn't loose. Once I get it resealed on the inside and all put back together I'll let everyone know how it shoots.

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

Very good news. Maybe mine was a fluke. You had to open up the barrel channel because it was a magnum caliber I'm guessing? Mine was for a 30-06 the last time.

I have a SS M70 .338 WM that I would love to replace the black synthetic stock with a nutmeg JRS. Maybe I'll give them another go.

Did you (or Santa..) buy yours direct or can they be had for less $ online?

Mike

That rifle looks very good. Hopefully it shoots as good as it looks! Any idea on how much the Boyd's stock weighs?

I bought mine through Cabelas but as far as I know they only sell the Pepper color, no nutmeg. It was 129 with free shipping even to alaska. One difference I noticed was that the Cabelas JRS stocks come with sling swivel studs already installed... I don't think most places sell them like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Any idea on how much the Boyd's stock weighs?
    I'm not exactly sure Matt, but with the scope and bases installed everything it came out to be about ten pounds for the whole rifle. Not bad to me.