Thread: How about the Susitna/Yentna?

Default How about the Susitna/Yentna?

Anybody been out that way? Or headed from Deshka Landing, I heard little open water by the deshka? trail going down Kroto slough. A few been to flathorn for pike from Pt. Mac, Any body else?

Heard from some people that ran up to Luce's said it was ok. I am planning on running the river right after New Years Day so it should all be good by then. Just watch out if your not that familiar with the river!!! If you do it though will you report back?

Co-worker of mine rode up to Skwentna this past weekend. They broke trail from lake creek on and were the first riders to the roadhouse this ear. Said it was a bad freeze up with ice jams and bumpy ice in a lot of spots. Skipped water a time or two but don't know if it was necessary or not. I would have to think this recent snow will smooth out the bumps somewhat. good riding.

Default Re.

Allright, Thats a start! We,ll let you know, we won,t leave until this Sat. Though the New Yrs,Coming back on Tue; Anybody else!!

A friend crossed the Big Su below the Corral Hill Trail on Saturday. The river was running there on Sunday so he had to go down by Rolly Creek to get back across.

My observations from the air.... Kroto's got lots of overflow. GCI looks okay. The Yentna is solid to Lake creek but looked jumbled in spots. The Big Su below the Yentna is flat out dangerous. Lots of open water in places the trail usually goes. Big hole a couple of hundred yards up from the house on the rocks at the lower Yentna banks. Open and flowing for about 2 miles along the west bank at and below Anderson Creek. Barely any snow down by the gas pipeline, and jumbled badly. Lots of small open holes and leads. Almost no snow through 5 fingers. This was observed Sunday. If you're going, be careful.

Default Re.

Alright Mr. Pid a birds eye veiw,Now thats a report! Thats the info, i was looking for ,down around mouth of the Yenta. Sounds like Pt. Mac is the way for us We,re on the east side there, If we came down the river we,ed have to jump across, from west to east Right around the Old Idiarod /Windsong trail. Did you notice if anybody was crossing the river down there from Pt, Mac./ Flathorn trail then on up the Yentna? Ya, My Buddy got a New 10,000.00 Machine It will have only 20, miles on it, by the time he gets there, Don,t think he,s quite ready to take for a dip just yet! Thanks for the info..

Default Lots of open water on Big Su

We just returned from the Deshka on Tues afternoon and the Big Su was open with lots of overflow. If you don't like waterskipping than avoid the area. The river below the corral trail from the deshka landing is probably impassable by now, unless your brave.
    My neighbors are attempting to run in this Sat. AM and we will see how they do...
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by SusitnaAk View Post
    Alright Mr. Pid a birds eye veiw,Now thats a report! Thats the info, i was looking for ,down around mouth of the Yenta. Sounds like Pt. Mac is the way for us We,re on the east side there, If we came down the river we,ed have to jump across, from west to east Right around the Old Idiarod /Windsong trail. Did you notice if anybody was crossing the river down there from Pt, Mac./ Flathorn trail then on up the Yentna? Ya, My Buddy got a New 10,000.00 Machine It will have only 20, miles on it, by the time he gets there, Don,t think he,s quite ready to take for a dip just yet! Thanks for the info..
    McKenzie pipeline trail had very little snow for the entire length. Almost none at the Big Su. It looked like a couple of machines had crossed because I could see tracks leading there at 5 Fingers, but there wasn't enough snow to make tracks on the river at that point. It looks rough, and there's open water, but the holes are small. The problem there is you won't be going fast enough to skip because the jumbled ice. I heard some guys were coming from Big Lake. I didn't notice any tracks at the Flathorn Trail to the river, and didn't look at the IronDog trail at Su Station. There were some tracks to the Old Iditarod. Some came from the Yentna, and that looked passable, but I wouldn't do it unless the vis is really good, and I wouldn't take my wife and kid. The flowing hole above the house on the rocks is smack in the middle of the traditional trail. There was evidence of overflow on the east bank at Su Station, but I didn't notice open holes, and I didn't notice tracks across the river there, but there wasn't much snow there, either.

My Yentna buddies pulled their sleds home after Sunday and said screw it until the river gets better. I drew a line through this weekend for riding the river after seeing what I saw. I'm sure guys will tell us that it isn't that bad and that they made it. Good for them. Riding is supposed to be fun. The river didn't look like much fun to me.

Just got back from Deshka yesterday. We left from the landing and din't encounter much open water at all. By the trails, it seems folks were sticking to the sides and criss-crossing across the Big Su, but it didn't seem too bad. We took the trail through the woods to access the Deshka so I cant talk about the mouth/lower river, but up river wasn't too bad. Obviously there was some overflow but not bad. BTW, if you plan on carving up and down the banks, watch out for the cut-banks. Rolled the sled and broke a dinky 75 dollar piece of plastic, UGH!! Guess the guys got a good laugh though...

Default River

We got back today, Went in from Pt. Mckenzie. Thin snow, Crossed the big Su. Below Susitna Station over to the old Iditarod, Everything ok shape there ,lots people were heading up the yentna from there.

For anyone interested in the conditions further up river on the big SU, I ran out to the main channel downstream from susitna landing a few days ago and the main channel is WIDE OPEN. Wouldnt even think about getting across it with a 50,000 HP machine. Its all jumble ice with open holes/overflow right up to the open main channel. Not a good year for river travel....

Thumbs up did a run deshka to yetna station

left deshka landing normal way, right down on the river, and it was nice and smooth, they could use some more snow. I also heard they were using coral hill, but we parked at the landing and went right down to the river there. There is one open lead just above deshka river that the trail is down to one machine wide, but it is basically up on the bank, so not to worry, after that it is pretty smooth all the way to yetna, BUT don't take Kroto slew, lots of overflo there, stick to the main river/trail and it will be fine. Once you turn up the yetna it is also smooth, but you will encounter some very large ice bergs, so with the flat light becareful!! The more you go up the yetna the more snow there is. If your not familiar with the trail or the river, do it during the day, and you will have no problems. Saw lots of freighting going on so it is pretty safe, but it could change at any time! When stopped make sure your on a sand bar and not on the river ice! Have fun and be safe, great people out there at luces and Yetna station on up!

Went up SKW on Sunday from BL and the river seemed good. There is some pushed up ice around Luces and by Yetna Station. After that it smooths out and from Lake Creek to SKW it was flat and fast.

I am taking a travel writter from the UK up to lake creek on Thurs, up to Shell or Finger on Friday and out on Saturday.

Chris
    Alaska Snow Safaris