Thread: Differences in Cabela's pack frames??

Default Differences in Cabela's pack frames??

Cabelas has several different pack fraomes. I know most of you recommend Barney's, but that simply is not in my budget at this time. Can anyone with experience give me their opinions of the different Cabela's packs? Since these packs are considered second rate by many, I was wondering if thee is much of a difference, especially with their plain Alaskan Frame. Thanks.

I have both the guide and ext outfitter models. I like them both I don't see a real need for the game bag on the out model. I use my own bags and set them on the shelf then strap to the frame. Ether will do any job well and last you many years. They are not second rate. I am as anti Cabelas as it gets and I still like these frames. If they tripled the price on them I am sure they would get better reviews with most people.

Woody

I own an Alaskan Outfitter Pack. Took it Elk hunting this fall. Lots of room, 70+ pounds and no issues. They put them on sale 2 times a year, get a free 10-20% off card in the mail, and it is truly a sweet deal.

Ron

Thumbs up Good to go

I have the Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Frame Pack. I used it on my goat hunt this last September. It worked great; it not only survived the Chugach Mtns but it also handled the worst the airport handlers could through at it. Iím taking it with me on my spring 08 BB hunt. No complaints here.

Default Cabelas Packs

Personally I think Barney's packs are over rated, heavy and very expensive. Maybe if you have a certain frame, than Barneys packs are excellant.
    I have found that all three Cabelas packs (Alaskan Guide, Outfitter, Extreme Outfitter) are excellant packs. At 6'4" and 250 lbs, Barneys pack simply does not fit, no problem with the Cabelas.
    Cabelas bags allow plenty of space for my gear and clothing layers, that tend to take up more space and the pockets allow me to compartmentilize my gear. For a 10 day trip I can pack everything I need into an extreme pack without anything hanging off the pack, with the pack weighing in at 65lbs with my rifle strapped to it and my vidoe camera, spotting scope, tripod and all necessary food and gear inside. In my book that is very good.

barney's bags empty are lighter than the cabela's bags empty, so i'm not sure where the heavey and overrated comes in. i've worn the barneys for 10 years and used it like most others never would, and had LOTS of clients with the cabelas packs, most have liked them, most don't know how to work them and i think thats more the real issue with someone not liking a pack, theres a nack to making it fit and beind able to adjust it to your carcass.
    In my op, buy the cabela's and take a knife and cut off about 20 of the plastic buckles and really simplify the buckle system they have, i've never seen so many buckles on a pack, thats gotta add close to a pound in just plastic buckles...geez.

Truth be told, you'll be fine with a cabela's pack. its like guns or other gear, some cost more and might work better for specific purposes but most will get it done if you use it right and take care of it. happy hunting.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Have they lightened up the cabela's packs any? A few years ago their Alaskan Outfitter Expedtion or whatever it was called weighed like 12lbs. About 5 lbs too heavy.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Im not certain?

But my cabelas pack can't weigh more then 5lbs
    Its tough, it has a sling for your rifle and you can custome fit the system to your torso.
    I'm 6'2 220, and it adjusted to me fine.
    I have to admit, it certainly dose have a lot of straps though!

I've got the Alaska II frame & pack. I weighed it once & it was 7# with the bag.
    Mine's about 8-9 yrs old & hasn't let me down yet. It adjusts well for my rame & the hind quater off a normal mature bull is "comfortable" (is that an honest statement with any pack for long distance) for me for s pretty long hual. The suspension syatem & belt do a great job. The only thing I'd change (& I intend to rig it that way myself) is to see to it the shelf sits lower on the frame when extended. Due to design it sits about 6" from the bottom). Not a huge thing. I think the guide model is at the bottom.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Cabela's frame.
    That said, BRWNBR has probably packed more pounds on his Barney's in one season than I'll pak on my Cabela's in 20 seasons.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."