Thread: SSShhhhh, don't tell no one, please...

Default SSShhhhh, don't tell no one, please...

In a deal worked out with my son, I ended up with a Model 70 Stainless/synthetic Classic in .300 Weatherby. At least the thing has a 26 inch tube on it, and it'll be fun playing with, but I just can't see it doing much more than my .300 Winchester. I've done nothing but cuss the Weatherby rounds, and now I have one. Almost like having one o' them there dreams, but with the wrong gender.....Maybe if I keep the thing in the closet, no one will know!
    Okay, so to the point, with good brass and a decent selection of .30 caliber bullets and suitably slow propellants on hand, anyone got any 'magic' recipes for this setup? Not interested in super velocity, just good solid performance with 200+ grain bullets. TIA

I'm kinda like you in regards to them double radius cases. Yet it can't be as bad as having a dream about the wrong gender. Can't rightfully say I've ever had one of them dreams but just the very mention makes my skin crawl and the hair on the back of my neck stands on end! Can't help ya on the loads bub but rest assured you can own a wizzby and be as normal as most folk! Ha!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I love my unreasonably biased opinion:

I like the Weatherby cartridges, and the Weatherby rifles. I don't know why so many people love to hate them. Maybe, it's because a couple of YO, YOs

I have only one, a Mk V Stainless Steel, with a Synthetic stock, and in my favorite cartridge, and favorite caliber. 7mm Weatherby.

If I was to choose a 300 Magnum, the 300 Weatherby would be the my choice, because IMO, it gives the best performance, practically speaking.

26" barrel, great, Classic Stock no. I would want a Monte Carlo stock though, since my shootin eye has always been a lot higher than my shoulder.

200 grain boolits at even close to 3000 fps should be awesome.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Shhhhhhhh

Smitty, I also have a Mod 70 in 300 Wby. Living in Wyo I don't have a need for anything heavier than 180's. My favorite is 85 gr of 7828 behind a 180 partition. It shoots 3 rounds into an inch to an inch and a quarter. After 3 rounds in a row the sonuvagun gets to me.

dino

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I love my unreasonably biased opinion:

I like the Weatherby cartridges, and the Weatherby rifles. I don't know why so many people love to hate them. Maybe, it's because a couple of YO, YOs WROTE A BOOK DIRTYMOUTHING THEM.

I have only one, a Mk V Stainless Steel, with a Synthetic stock, and in my favorite cartridge, and favorite caliber. 7mm Weatherby.

If I was to choose a 300 Magnum, the 300 Weatherby would be the my choice, because IMO, it gives the best performance, practically speaking.

26" barrel, great, Classic Stock no. I would want a Monte Carlo stock though, since my shootin eye has always been a lot higher than my shoulder.

200 grain boolits at even close to 3000 fps should be awesome.

Smitty of the North
    OOPs:
    I left off a few words in my post. SEE ABOVE.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.