Thread: Ski Doo Problem

Default Ski Doo Problem

I have a 02 Ski doo 700 summit and I can't get it out of reverse!! It has a reverse button and it makes an annoying beeping sounds when it's in reverse. It's making the beep but it's not going forward or backward. I've checked the connection but I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

Sleds with RER are supposed to go back to the forward position after you shut them off. When you start the sled up it automatically goes into reverse and has the beeping (which is normal)? Also, does it actually move backwards or does it just beep?

Default Still can't fix it.

I tried to shut the machine off and restart it several times. The engine starts right back up but it just beeps and it does not move foward or in reverse. The engine just dies down when I give it gas (like it does when it switches from forward to reverse). I haven't had this problem before so I don't what to do.

Default Check you "key"

I believe that your sled has the DESS system. If thats the case wiggle the key. It may be that you don't have a good connection and you key isn't being read. Whenever what you are describing happen to my 02 skidoo summit 700 that was the problem. Of course I did not have reverse on mine. It would start right up but when you gave it gas it would either die or not allow the engine to rev up. This is part of a security measure so only you can get that sled to go. Just mess with the key move it a little give it some gas see if it goes, move it again. If not you got something more going on there.

By "key" he means tether. Yeah, forgot about that. Good first start. Make sure its snug on its base.

Default Skidoo problem

I too have a 2002 700 summit. When you start your machine if it immediately beeps (it will be a single beep spaced with a longer time interval than the normal reverse beep) which indicates there is a problem with the connection at the tether switch. Like you, the first time it happen I didn't have a clue until I consulted the owners manual. I pulled off the tether switch cap and a small piece of the inside rubber prevented proper contact. Once I removed that little sliver of rubber all was back to normal. The DESS system,when the bad connection beep is sounding, will only let your engine rev to about 3,000 rpms well below rpm for engagement of clutches. Like you I thought it was locked in reverse. Again there are two different series of beeps, one for reverse and one indicating bad contact in the DESS system. Hope this solves the problem.

Default Thanks

That makes since. Now I'm stuck at work, I can't wait to get home and try it. I'll report back what happens.

Default Thanks, fixed it!

Thanks, I feel like an idiot now. The key wasn't getting a good connection. I wiggled the key around and had no more problems.