Thread: burbot lines

Default burbot lines

Wondering what you guys use for hook size, bait, weight of line and where do the burbot like to hang out...........along cut banks, deep water, tree jams, etc. thanks for any info.....................

I honestly prefer to jig for burbot once it starts getting dark outside with a glow in the dark 3" to 7" curl tail grub. The glow in the dark seems to be key. Other than that I use 8/0 circle hooks in about 10 or 15 feet of water in river mouths. Carefully read the regs before setting those lines though.

Check the regs for your area and body of water but most hooks have to be a 3/4 inch gap between hook and shank. I use set lines with 6/0 Gamagatsu octopus hooks with herring and you have to have your name and address to whatever your set line is attched to; set lines need to checked every 24 hours.

Fish and game has a publication on burbot fishing. http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio.../bbicefish.pdf

For jigging use a larger white or glow in the dark grub, something that looks like a freshwater lamprey, smelly jelly herring is good for scent.

Oh yeah my 8/0 circle hooks are gamagatsu octopus circles.

7/0 hooks with a full hearing(7"s) in 5 to 10 feet of water sitting a foot off the bottem on flats or along grassy edges of lakes.