Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moose pack frame

Default moose pack frame

Has anyone used the Cabela's "extreme Alaska outfitter" pack frame for packing out moose? If so, how did it work for you?
    Thanks I appreciate the input.

Default Do a search

Do a search on this forum and you'll get lots of old postings on packs.
    Marc Theiler

Default Cabelas Extreme Ak Pack & Frame.

A++ In my Book..Packed a few Moose,Bou,Bear,with No complaints here..And for the price?You can't go wrong..

Default Extreme ak pack frame

I used mine for the first time this past season hauling moose quarters and an entire black bear. Hauling a heavy load on your back is never very much fun for me. But once you get all the adjustments on the frame down then it is as comforatable as possible for me.

AK

Default Cabella's Alaskan Guide Model

Hard to beat for the money, Don't like the pack, but I do Like the frame. Hauled it all with it.

Steve

Default I have

Used mine to pack out Moose, Caribou, Mountain Goats and bear. I also have a standard Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter and if I am not weight restricted or have to pack in a long way, I would prefer the Outfitter for Bigger Loads (Raft/Moose Hind Quarters, etc.) over the extreme outfitter, but if I was limited to only one pack I would not be a bit concerned about using my extreme pack for moose. It is a great pack. If you look at the item on the website, there is quite a bit of feedback on them. I wrote on for each. If you are in Anchorage I have both, you are welcome to compare them
    Louis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Here is a few more

How do you get these pictures to open in the message body?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Barneys Freighter

How many times does this thread have to be posted? For folks that have used there pack for more then 100 plus animals the only pack to stand up to an average persons hunting lifetime is the freighter frame w/ your flavor bag! merry xmas!

Default Ditto

My cabelas lasted less than 365 days. Barneys, 8 years and going strong. Same guy doing the same hunts.

I'm sure the Barney's pack is awesome but many people have used the Cabela's packs with great success. For those that don't have the money the Cabela's pack gives them a good pack for the money. If you have the money get the Barney's if not the Cabela's will haul plenty for the average hunter. I do beleive they are best for loads at or near 100 lbs.

Happy Holidays.

Steve

Default Thanks, Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I'm sure the Barney's pack is awesome but many people have used the Cabela's packs with great success. For those that don't have the money the Cabela's pack gives them a good pack for the money. If you have the money get the Barney's if not the Cabela's will haul plenty for the average hunter. I do beleive they are best for loads at or near 100 lbs.

Happy Holidays.

Steve
    Thanks, Steve!

You said what I was thinking. The guy wasn't asking for a comparison, he just wanted to hear from the Cabela's pack owners. I don't own one, but I do have two Barney's packs. So I'm staying out of this one.

I think the recommendations to look through the archives were well founded, if Eclipse hasn't been there yet. But it has taken me a long time to learn that not everyone can afford top of the line gear. Lord knows I've used a lot of "inferior" equipment over the years and just made it work. Packed my first moose out on a Coleman Peak One, of all things- plastic frame!

Anyway, thanks for the post. It's clear that many people have used the frame in question, and it has worked for them. It's also pretty clear that for really heavy use, you need something else.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Thanks, Steve!

You said what I was thinking. The guy wasn't asking for a comparison, he just wanted to hear from the Cabela's pack owners. I don't own one, but I do have two Barney's packs. So I'm staying out of this one.

I think the recommendations to look through the archives were well founded, if Eclipse hasn't been there yet. But it has taken me a long time to learn that not everyone can afford top of the line gear. Lord knows I've used a lot of "inferior" equipment over the years and just made it work. Packed my first moose out on a Coleman Peak One, of all things- plastic frame!

Anyway, thanks for the post. It's clear that many people have used the frame in question, and it has worked for them. It's also pretty clear that for really heavy use, you need something else.

Regards,

-Mike
    My thoughts as well Mike. People regularly ask about Cabelas packs on here and it nearly always ends up with some people posting about how they are junk and the only way to go is Barneys. Obviously many have had success with Cabelas packs, and have even hauled moose, caribou, etc., as can be seen in the posts here. Will it stand up to packing out 100 animals? I don't know, but I doubt I, or many others here, will ever get the opportunity to find out. I doubt I'll ever take 100 animals in my lifetime.

Buying a Barneys pack and frame for many of us is like buying a Mercedes to drive to the grocery store every couple weeks. It just doesn't make sense. I take a big game animal, if I'm lucky, every few years. No reason to spend that kind of money. On the other hand, I catch 100+ fish every year, so I spend big dollars on top of the line fly rods, reels, etc.

If your into packing long hauls please take my advice,go with the best,either the barneys frame or try out the myster ranch overkill frame,both built ultra tough, your not looking at that much more in cost,buy it right the first time or buy it cheat 10 times....

Default Another pack option

Take a look at Alaska Range Gear, packs built for Alaska hunts by Alaskan hunters.

Wink Ok, how about

Had a Cabelas and it didn't last one year. Would not recommend it if you are packing very far at all.

Thumbs up Two thumbs up from me

I have one season using the Cabela's frame. I have never worn a more comfortable pack with heavy loads!

I have not used a Barney's or other pack and never will. I am 110% happy with the Cabela's frame. The pack is a piece of crap though. Buy a different pack.

The big difference between barneys and cabelas is the comfortability! barneys has a special shoulder and hip/waist pad that i have not seen on any other pack in this world. Hands down barneys! to me, has everyone beat on this aspect, I have tried the Arcteryx, Kifaru and Kelty. I know barneys might be a little pricey but its guaranteed for life, and he'll do any repairs if needed right in the shop there in back of the store. I packed out a 138 pound moose hind quarter, that material would not give. Take a close look at the stitching with that kevlar thread. Pay now, and reap the benefits later. I'm not endorsing it, just telling you the quality is there...CK

Default pack weight

Quote Originally Posted by boathunter View Post
    Take a look at Alaska Range Gear, packs built for Alaska hunts by Alaskan hunters.
    for those that have them what are the weights of the alaska range and barneys packs, in comparison to the cabelas(7.4lbs)? I really like the look of the AK range sheep hunter bags with the addition of the freighter bag it will give you an expandable capacity of over 9000 cu/inches! Is there somewhere I can see one of them in anchorage?

Default Mt. View Sports

I know for awhile Mt. View Sports was carrying the Ak Gear packs. I believe someone new, now own's Ak Gear. Cause a few years back, I looked at them at the sportsmans show. They were really nice packs, didn't have the money then. Then I saw them in Mt. View Sports and the material had changed, I didn't lilke what they had done to the pack. Check there, it's been awhile since I've been in there.

My Cabela's frame (not an "Extreme") lasted exactly 1 trip down the mountain with a load of moose on the 1st hunt I used it on. The heavy load bent any split ring that had weight on it and they pulled right out of the pin causing the belt to separate from the frame. Once I figured it out and beefed things up a bit it worked alright, although I no longer use that particular frame for very heavy loads anymore. I now use a MR Gen II NICE frame.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast