Thread: long lake(glen hwy)

Default long lake(glen hwy)

rlcofmn and i decided to try out long lake, hoping to find some better fish (than what the anchorage bowl has to offer). we fished from about 11:30-3:00 and landed 10 smaller lakers. they were all about 15 inches in about 70 ft of water. we had lots of biters that didn't make it all up, all in all it was a good day. we really wanted to find a bigger fish, i guess that'll have to wait.

i got mine on 4" tube jigs with 1/2 oz jig heads and rlcofmn got his on shrimp.

merry chirstmas!!!!

Default ?

Are you sure they were lakers? Are they stocking lakers in there again? Could it be that the very few monsters that are in there are successfuly spawning?

I confirmed once i got home that they are lakers so it looks like they are spawning and fairly well because there was certainly alot more that what was landed.

Mark

Says here that lake trout were stocked between 1988 and 1992, then the lake trout were replaced by char, so the lake trout must be reproducing.

All I've ever caught out of there were burbot, small lake trout, and even smaller rainbows.

Default Lakers?

Sounds like you caught a good bunch of eating size fish! I'd have to question that many lakers in the same age class, though. Make sure they are lakers, and not dolly varden. Lakers have squiggles on their backs and sides, dollies/char have round spots. Lakers have other differences, but thats the main one that will stand out. F&G has been stocking Long very heavily with dollies the last few years. Not saying they couldn't be lakers, but it is very easy to confuse the two species.

They had dots on there heads and tails. The regs say lakers are the only species that have them.

Default Post a pic

Quote Originally Posted by rlcofmn View Post
    They had dots on there heads and tails. The regs say lakers are the only species that have them.
    Sounds like you had a fun day. And they may have been lakers.

All char have light colored markings (spots). This includes arctic char, lake trout, dolly varden, and brook trout (which we don't have in Southcentral AK).

I believe their may be a successfully spawning population of lakers in Long, as I too have caught small lakers well after F&G stopped stocking them. Lake trout spawn in lakes and do not need a stream connected to the lake to successfully spawn.

The surest way for any of us to weigh in on what you caught is to see a picture. Do you have any you can post?

Default check out iceshanty.com

Someone just posted pictures of lakers caught there on this website.

I too have taken lakers out of long lake(yes the one your talking about) Little hint for next time. Lakers like deep water, deep water, especially in mid to late winter.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I posted them here as well. They are under cought some fishies.

N8R and I went back out again today the day did not start out too well with me missing a stationary grouse at less than 10 yards with my 410 on the way up there but the day only got better with about 5 lakers and a dolly. Then the bite slowed down and we did some rabbit hunting and got 3 with the 410 so I learned how to shoot it after my miss. It is just a little single shot that i bought for taking on my snowmachine, It is very wierd to sight but i figured it out and shot one of the rabbits on a full run so all and all i had a good day.