Thread: Need help Writing a Proposal for BOG

Default Need help Writing a Proposal for BOG

If someone who is familiar with this process can you please PM me. I am trying to write a proposal and have a bunch of questions. Thanks

A proposal or comments to the current proposals? Have you been to this page regarding proposals? http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/b...s/propform.php

I've never done one but I'd be willing to help and my wife spent 20 years as a legal secretary working for the state. She's a wealth of knowledge when it comes to writing different kinds of legal beagle stuff. Wording, etc.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Do it here!

How about working up your proposal here on this forum?

Are working up a new proposal or working on one of the ones that BOG will consider this Jan 25th -28th?

The question is do you want your proposal to be approved or do you want the credit yourself. In my opinion, proposals that come from the Advisory Committees carry more weight.

I have a lot of wonderful ideas and I will be putting them up on this forum to get some feedback before I forward them to the MATSU AC.

Doing this on this forum would be a good educational experience for all of us.

I was told by the Ak Bowhunters Assn that individual applications carry more weight than those from advisory committees or assn's like the ABA. I had put together a proposal for the northern region this year and e-mailed it to the ABA for possible submission. After not getting word back from any of the 5 people I e-mailed it to, I called the president and he said they discussed it, fully support it, but weren't going to submit it to the BOG because they thought I was going to do it. Would of been nice to have gotten a courtesy call from them, but I managed to finally get ahold of Timmy the day the proposals were due and find out the info. I don't care if my name or an organizations name is on the proposal, as long as it has a chance to be heard.

Proposals are pretty easy to spell out and put together. Fish and Game can help you out with the administrative codes. Deadline for the northern region has passed, so you'll have to wait 2 years to submit one now.

Thought I would add, I don't agree with ABA's assessment that individual applications are more powerful than an organizations. I think they were just doing what they do best, ignoring the majority of the state and only paying attention to the hunts the current admin partakes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Thought I would add, I don't agree with ABA's assessment that individual applications are more powerful than an organizations. I think they were just doing what they do best, ignoring the majority of the state and only paying attention to the hunts the current admin partakes in.
    Sad to say, but you might be right.

I have just become a member of the MATSU AC and I will be using this site to get feedback on my proposals and to also allow those that have an idea to get it heard. Once we talk about it and (we) have made a proposal, I will then forward it to the committee. I use the KISS method. (Keep it simple, stupid) meaning if you have a well written proposal to forward to an AC, it will be easier for others to agree with it.

I also will make a promise to keep everyone updated as to the status of any such proposals.

I doubt the ABA thinks that individual Apps carry more weight than "group" Proposals, or especially AC Proposals - I'd bet its the other way around.

The more people can come together and sign onto a proposal the better it is, the more the BOG will look at it.

If its clearly a special interest proposal by one person, it won't get much thought. Just try reading some of the proposal books and you will see. You can tell right away which ones have some thought, and which ones are just an individual's rants.

Take your proposal to the AC of your region, testify about it, let them hash it over etc. One thing you should be prepared for to see your proposal "ammened", and if you don't want it as such, then remove it from being considered and submit it yourself.

As with any political process - alot more goes on behind the doors than what is discussed at the meetings. Anything you can do to get your propsal noted by a large group of people with sound biological background will get more headway than just a proposal that doesn't give both sides of the argument.

Use the process to simplify games laws, not make them more stringent...all within reason of course.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    I doubt the ABA thinks that individual Apps carry more weight than "group" Proposals, or especially AC Proposals - I'd bet its the other way around.

The more people can come together and sign onto a proposal the better it is, the more the BOG will look at it.
    I was told this by the current president of the ABA not two weeks ago. I wish I was making it up, but that is word for word what he told me. This is why I have submitted my proposal personally rather than through them. I made the mistake of going to them rather than the Fairbanks AC.

I worked with the legislative committee for the ABA for a few years and tried to help turn things around, but it was a lost cause. This assn. only cares about what hunts pertain to them, I saw it then while I was a member and I see it is still happening.

Default BOG Proposals

Thanks for taking the time and effort to submit your ideas.

I believe that all proposals should be restricted to only Alaskan residence that possesses a valid hunting or fishing license.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default post your proposal

Well, the ABA should have a dog in the fight for thier proposals....they are a like minded group and they are going to advocate for Bowhunting Proposals that they see fit. I believe some ABA members are on these forums, so perhaps one of them could comment.

As far as the AC goes - they are there for thier constituency, and that means hunters and non-hunters alike....yup sure does. No different than elected polititions.

Doesn't mean that you have to advocate for thier cause, but thier cause and your cause are two different things, and the AC gets to represent them both.

In my view (which is probably wrong) an AC chock full of "like minded people" is not going to get as much respect from the BOG on a proposal as an AC would that submits proposals considered by hunters, nature watchers, Hikers, birders, comm fishers, sport fishers, fly fishers etc

Have you considered putting the proposal on these forums - I am sure you would get some good content on how to word it if you did.

As far as submission dates go - you'll have to look at the Boards Support Section on F/G Webpage for that. Each Region has different dates for Wildlife and Fishing, and Statewide regs etc

I got my proposal passed, just follow the form
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've written proposals before and had them submitted under the ABA while I was on their legislative committee. I'm sure that the President did not know who I was when he was talking to me on the phone, and I left it at that. I wrote the proposal that eliminated the draw for DB990 in the spring, and want to try and extend the season now. Here is a copy and paste of the proposal as submitted to the BOG.

ALASKA BOARD OF FISHERIES AND ALASKA BOARD OF GAME
    REGULATION PROPOSAL FORM
    PO BOX 115526, JUNEAU, ALASKA 99811-5526
    BOARD OF FISHERIES REGULATIONS BOARD OF GAME REGULATIONS
    0 Fishing Area
    Game Management Unit (GMU) 26B
    0 Subsistence
    0 Personal Use
    X Hunting 0 Trapping

0 Sport
    0 Commercial
    0 Subsistence
    0 Other

JOINT BOARD REGULATIONS X Resident
    0 Advisory Committee
    0 Regional Council
    0 Rural
    X Nonresident
    Please answer all questions to the best of your ability. All answers will be printed in the proposal packets along with the proposer's name (address and phone numbers will not be published). Use separate forms for each proposal.
    1. Alaska Administrative Code Number 5 AAC
    Regulation Book Page No. 106

2. What is the problem you would like the Board to address?
    Extend Brown/Grizzly Bear season in all of unit 26B. Extend the spring season to close on June 30th instead of May 31st. Extend the fall season to begin on August 10th instead of September 1st. Extend all drawing permit hunts in unit 26B to begin August 10th and/or end June 30th. Increase the number of permits awarded for DB990.

3. What will happen if this problem is not solved?
    Continued short spring season for brown/grizzly bear and limited hunter opportunity for drawing permit awardees. Extra hunting time for drawing and spring hunters could result in a higher success rate in this area and could help the musk ox population. Current harvest rates of grizzly bears are very low and the area can easily sustain a longer season. An average of 1 bear per year has been taken since the inception of DB990, and only a fraction of the permit awardees even attempt to hunt. In 2006, 7 of 20 DB990 permit awardees hunted. From 2002 through the end of the 2006 season, 6 grizzly bears were recorded killed in all of unit 26B.

4. What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted your solution, what would the new regulation say?
    The new regulations would read as such:

26A
    B One Bear every regulatory year Aug 1-May 31

26B (DHCMA by bow and arrow only)
    R One bear every regulatory year by permit (DB990) Aug 10[Sept 1] - Dec 31
    (Number of permits: 50[number of permits: 20])
    R One bear every regulatory year Mar 1 - June 30[May 31]
    N One bear every regulatory year by permit (DB987) Aug 10[Sept 1] - Dec 31
    N One bear every regulatory year by permit (DB997) Mar 1 - June 30[May 31]

26B (remainder)
    R One bear every regulatory year Aug 10[Sept 1] - June 30[May 31]
    N One bear every regulatory year by permit (DB987) Aug 10[Sept 1] - Dec 31
    N One bear every regulatory year by permit (DB997) Mar 1 - June 30[May 31]

26C
    B One bear every regulatory year Aug 10-June 30

5. Does your proposal address improving the quality of the resource harvested or products produced? If so, how?
    Yes, extending the spring and fall seasons helps align the brown/grizzly bear seasons with units 24B, 25A and 26C. Also, it is documented that grizzly bears have been killing musk ox in greater numbers. Extending the season will hopefully mean more bears will be taken. It also increases hunter opportunity, especially in the spring due to bears emerging from their dens at a later date than in other areas of the state. Grizzly bear harvest in unit 26B is extremely low and well below the sustainable yield.

6. Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt others:
    A. Who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?
    All hunters in unit 26B who wish to pursue grizzly bears as well as the local musk ox herds and visitors that enjoy seeing them. Resident and Non Resident drawing permit winners would have a longer season to hunt.
    B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?
    People opposed to brown/grizzly bear hunting.

7. List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.
    Eliminate the fall resident drawing portion (DB990) in unit 26B DHMCA or change the fall draw to a registration hunt. The board of game saw fit in 2001 to limit the amount of Bowhunters that can hunt grizzly bears in the fall while they are in the area hunting caribou, even though the sustainable yield was not met. A registration hunt could provide extra opportunity and give Fish and Game the control to limit the harvest when the sustainable yield is met. 171 people applied for DB990 in 2006, so this would still yield a very high number of people that would obtain registration permits compared to the 20 drawing permits that are currently being issued. Raising the available drawing permits to 50 will allow more people who are serious about hunting grizzlies under DB990 have the chance to do so.

Also, for those of you interested in sending in a statewide or interior region proposal, well, you can wait a couple of years now.

Statewide, 2008
    January 25-28, 2008 Statewide Regulations
    Cycle B
    Proposal Deadline:
    November 2 , 2007

Comment Deadline:
    January 11, 2008 Anchorage Proposals
    Legal Notice
    Agenda
    Roadmap
    Dept. Comments
    Actions Taken