Thread: Trail Grooming

Default Trail Grooming

Is there a trail grooming contract for the Petersville trail system?

I think there is, what trail are you asking about?

Default Trail grooming

I have heard that the Mat-Su Borough gives out money to groups to groom trails. Which ones and to who I do not know.
    It might be worth wide to check with the Boruogh parks and rec to see which one.
    I have heard that the trails in the Petersville area are not in the greatest shape.
    I talked with our daughter, who has a cabin in the Petersville area this morning. She advised that the riding was OK but not great. They got stuck several times going in.

Thumbs up INFO on Gromming

The Alaska State Parks runs the the Snowtract Grant System. Snowmachine Reg. moneys are divided up all over the State. With Hatcher Pass getting the most at over $20,000 a year. I do groomming for the Willow Area and we get $8,000 a year. We try to keep 138 miles of trail trimmed, marked, signed and groommed all winter on snowmachine with compaction drags. The Curry Ridge Rider do some trails from the Hywy to the Forks Roadhouse with a trackrig so they need thick ice and lots of snow to groom. Remember that most of these groups are donating there time to do this and could all use your help!!!

I'm not real familiar with all the riding area's but it there sure seems to be a lot of use in the Petersville area. We rode from the main parking lot past the mining camps to the Petersville hills and the road was terrible.
    I have never heard of anyone requesting help or volunteers. I think a lot of us would help out if an official request was made with contact info and instructions. Why does the hatchers pass area get so much of the funding?

Exclamation More INFO

Well the cross county skiers need there loop. I really don't understand why a non-motorised group gets this much funding. Because they don't do much other groomming up there. The new guy in charge at MAT-SU State Parks just does not have a good idea of whats needed. He is from Kodiak and just bought a new entree level Skidoo. I don't think Peterville is high on his list. And there are no group willing to take on this huge task of keeping the road open that far with a groommed trail.

Default Difficult to get volunteers

I can't speak for Mat-Su area, but I can give you an example from the Caribou Hills area on the Kenai Peninsula. The snowmachine club for the area gets a good chunk of money for trail maintenance. The club membership is rather large (don't have figures handy). However, even with repeated requests at meetings, in the club newsletters, by email, and word of mouth at club functions it is very difficult to get anyone to show up and actually help with trail maintenance. The same couple guys are always running the groomers and they get tired of hearing complaints every time someone encounters a bumpy trail. However, the moron who broke his dozen eggs on the ride in and is complaining has never shown up to help with grooming.

Then there are hundreds of non-club members and visitors who frequent the area and contribute nothing to maintainance. In fact, many of the folks (often kids) that I see coming in for recreational trips from Anchorage and other areas are the main reason why the trails get messed up. Most locals drive the trails in sensible fashion and get off the trails to play. But we see groups of these "visitors" show up and tear up our trails with their high-hp paddle tracks and no regard for anyone else.

So, if someone is willing to help with trail maintenance, I'm sure there is someone who needs it. Just check with snowmachine clubs for the area. If you frequent an area without formal grooming, get together with a couple buddies and build a drag groomer and take care of the trail yourselves. That's how we used to take care of the Caribou Hills before he club got big enough to buy its own equipment, it was a lot of locals who just took care of the trails they used the most using home-built snowmachine drags.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Food for thought.

Just a reminder, I know snowmobile registering is a hot topic but some of the "monies" given out are based on area registrations. The valley has the most registered so gets a larger portion than the Kenai Peninsula.

On the Southern Kenai Peninsula (Homer, Anchor Point area) we also run into volunteer (lack of) problems. We do however have a large group to pull from that are quick to complain or point out problems...

I would suggest as others have, to get organized with a group that is willing to take on the thankless task of preserving trails for snowmobiles. Be prepared for the motivation from others to be high until the work starts, then you will receive a lot of verbal help and encouragement.

Happy riding!

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
    Well the cross county skiers need there loop. I really don't understand why a non-motorised group gets this much funding. Because they don't do much other groomming up there. The new guy in charge at MAT-SU State Parks just does not have a good idea of whats needed. He is from Kodiak and just bought a new entree level Skidoo. I don't think Peterville is high on his list. And there are no group willing to take on this huge task of keeping the road open that far with a groommed trail.

Just want to make sure folks understand Snogo registration fees DO NOT go to non-motorized trails.

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/grants/snowmotr.htm

Thumbs down They Do!!!!!!

Herd it from the horses mouth, most of that $20,000 goes to the crosscounty loop! Some for the trail over the top with a little Fed. money kick in.
    I know it's not right!