Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska Fishing Trip

Default Alaska Fishing Trip

I found this site while looking for information about an upcoming fishing trip that 4 of us plan to take and thought I would post some questions. We are thinking about renting a boat, some camping equipment and a forest service cabin for a week. Any advice on timing, where to go and boat and equipment rentals would be appreciated. 2 of us have freshwater fished Alaska before and 2 of us have good boating skills. We have all stayed at remote cabins before. Our plan is to do some saltwater fishing and also some stream and river fishing. Shrimping and crabbing for our orderves sounds good also. Wildlife viewing and photographic opportunities would be nice also.

Default More info???

This is a great site to find help and information, but your questions are way to broad to help you out. For example, Alaska has more coast line than the entire lower 48 states combined. So it is like saying that I want to rent a boat in the and fish, what are your suggestions.... Would that be in Florida or Washington?

What areas are you interested in? What kind of experience are you looking for? How do you intend to get to where you will be starting? What fish species are you looking for? How long will you be staying? What conveniences do you want close by? What time period? The run timing is very different everywhere you go in Alaska.

My first thought is Kodiak or South East for early season, Southcentral; i.e. Seward, Whittier or Valdez or Kenai Peninsula for mid season (June-July).

Kenai Peninsula or Mat-Su Valley for Fall.

So, refine your question a bit and help us to help you..

Good luck

Thanks for responding. I will try to narrow down our ideas. I am thinking of a 7 day trip with an extra night on our way in and out. We will be flying out of PA so for simplicity sake it would be nice to start our trip somewhere near an airport that Alaska air flys into. We will need to rent some basic camping equipment. Stove, pots and pans, lanterns, etc. We will be able to bring sleeping bags, air mattresses etc. We will also need to rent salt water fishing equipment along with crab pots and shrimping equipment. I have found several possible forest service cabins with moorings or good anchorages in the Whittier, Peters burg and Ketchikan areas. I have also located boat rentals on the Internet at these locations. We are looking for at least a 20 ft boat with an enclosed cockpit. The trip will be as much about doing a little exploring and sight seeing as about the fishing. Of course we want to be able to catch enough fish to keep ourselves entertained and fed.

Unless you are dead set on doing it yourself I would hire a guide. By the time you rent all the equipment (boat, traps, cooking equipment, rods, reels, cabin, coolers, buy food, etc.............) You could save money and hire a guide.

There is also a safety concern. Although the summers are generally mild compared to winter, Accidents do happen. In a lot of scenarios a 20' boat is rather small. Ecspecially one that is not yours and who knows how well maintained. Remember just because it is new doesn't mean it won't break.

I live in the SE and if it were me I would hire a guide in the SE whether it is Juneau, Sitka, or Craig, etc... and rent a car or ferry hop to hit some of the local streams. You will spend more time fishing and enjoying the trip than renting gear, setting up camp, *****ing about broken rented equipment, tearing down camp, returning rented equipment, etc.....

Remember, just ny opinion. Good luck in whatever you choose to do,

Default Trip

Not to discourage you but it sounds like you are attempting to bite off a bit much. I spend almost every weekend in the spring/summer/fall hunting and fishing in Prince William Sound and I have a three page check list and a float plan that I use everytime I leave the yard-being ill prepared will get you in trouble real fast even in the middle of the summer. Attempting to do this trip yourself from out of state is going to be a logisitcal challenge. Also a 20' boat is going to be very small for four guys and all of your gear for seven days. As far as a rental cabin goes you had better get on it 180 days ahead of time otherwise you will not find much available unless you are planning an early spring or late fall trip. I don't believe that a non-resident can legally take either crab or shrimp but I don't know the regs for the entire state-you should check that on the F&G site. Lastly, attempting to go out into waters that you aren't familiar with, anchoring a boat for the night in an area that you don't know what type of bottom you're going to be anchoring into and dealing with tides that can go up or down 18 feet or more is much more that I would want to attempt without someone who had some local experience. I'd suggest that you take some of the other advice given by others and think seriously about hiring a guide with a boat or plan to fish (maybe float) the many rivers/lakes in Alaska. Not saying that it can't be done but you'll need to start doing a lot of research. One good place to start (if you're considering PWS) is "A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound" by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe. If after reading the first section of that book you still think you are up for it then start making your list. PM me if you want more information and good luck.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Default Charter

If I were you, I would look into some of the charters out of Whittier in anytime between July and Sep. You can get some great fishing charters and drop-offs at one of the island cabins. Check the Whittier Chamber of Commerce web site for outfitters. There is a boat rental place in Whittier as well, but if you don't know the waters and weather you can get yourself in trouble really quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkelch View Post
    I found this site while looking for information about an upcoming fishing trip that 4 of us plan to take and thought I would post some questions. We are thinking about renting a boat, some camping equipment and a forest service cabin for a week. Any advice on timing, where to go and boat and equipment rentals would be appreciated. 2 of us have freshwater fished Alaska before and 2 of us have good boating skills. We have all stayed at remote cabins before. Our plan is to do some saltwater fishing and also some stream and river fishing. Shrimping and crabbing for our orderves sounds good also. Wildlife viewing and photographic opportunities would be nice also.

Without encouraging you (and not dismissing any of the cautions in previous posts), I have gotten reports from several out-of-staters, who have done this sort of thing for the first time and pulled it off.

Look at the book "exploring southeast alaska" by fineedge.com. They describe the anchorages and degree of other issues with interior routes you are considering. Talk to the boat rental people.

For example, consider Breiland Slough Cabin out of Petersburg in late August-ish. That would give you boatable access to various streams in the Duncan Canal area (Castle, Mitchell, Duncan, Kah Sheets) as well as right in front of the cabin, and islands - and the cabin appears relatively close to deeper water (compared to the other cabins, which are a mile or so into a bay that you ain't gonna be able to boat in/out of except at certain higher tide levels). I've stream-fished a few of these for silvers, it was OK, and there was a group that motored in from Breiland to offer us some crab, so I figure they caught plenty. I saw various boats, and they were in that 20-ft or so range. There is some cellphone coverage. Or maybe Fish Creek Cabin near Ketchikan. Just my thoughts.

It is definitely a good idea, if not almost a requirement, to plan an extra day on both ends due to tidal windows, the time to boat, weather issues, and outfitting (food, stove oil, whatever).

BTW, it is my understanding that the forest service cabins are strictly for do-it-yourselfers, so if the plan is to stay at a forest service cabin you cannot have a paid guide with you there even if you wanted one.

I would second (third? fourth?) the suggestion to hire a guide/charter, but it might be considered a bit shameless to handle the self promotion in that manner!

Seriously though... I've spent a lifetime in SE.... there's more to see and do here than anyone can possibly fit into 33 years, let alone one week. I'd suggest contacting Allen Marine in Juneau or Sitka... they rent some nicely equipped small boats. There's also an outfit here in Juneau that rents Nordic Tugs, but it sounds like you're looking more to "rough it" vs. casual cruising.

When you've got everything priced out, post back or PM and I'd be happy to help with a cost and logistics comparison of the rough approach vs. a "skippered bareboat" charter.

Oh, my wife is reading over my shoulder, and she mentioned that many of the places you can get a boat into without years of local experience will be fairly well traveled. A guide doesn't necessarily have to "guide" you on-shore or when you are fishing... a good skipper can get you to some amazing locations and then let you reap the rewards of the spot you've chosen.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Talking Russian land

Hey Case,

Maybe we should give the "banana belt" part of Alaska back to Russia! Everyone seems to forget SE.

I was reading an article that said the Commission was going to attack you charter guys again.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    ...I was reading an article that said the Commission was going to attack you charter guys again.
    As far as I can tell, it's already been done. There's a quote and post in my forum about it, and I've read several good letters due for publication in the Empire.

My concern is what Denby Lloyd told me last fall... ADF&G is interested in having a common set of rules for everyone to play by, so if the Feds get more restrictive on the guides, ADF&G is likely to tighten up resident limits to match.

Oh well... at least there are still a few yelloweye and sablefish out there! (And plenty of salmon for everyone!)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default True but......

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Oh well... at least there are still a few yelloweye and sablefish out there! (And plenty of salmon for everyone!)

-Case
    True, but to have the "better half" deep fry beer batter halibut and sauté PWS shrimp is nothing but............. There are simply no words that describe it.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Thanks again for all your incite. I have received a lot more information than I thought I might. The charter idea has not been ruled out. This trip is going to be as much about relaxing and going at our own pace as much as being led around. I have rented 21 footers before and am aware of their limitations. I will also learn as much as I can about the area and take any advice from whoever we rent from about which cabins provide the best anchorages and access. There is a 24 ft boat available out of Whittier and If I can figure out decent accomodations I will probably give that a try. I have no doubts that a competent guide would put is in all the right spots but exploring about is part of the adventure. Between the 4 of us we have a fair amount of boating experience both on fresh and salt water. I certainly am not naive about the dangers of big water. I was stationed at small boat stations while a member of the USCG and got to go after many unprepared boaters. I would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks, Jeff

Whitter Boats has boats for rent. They are fairly new and look well maintained. I am not sure if they rent shrimp pots.
    One thimg that you may consider is renting a Motorhome.You could spend some time in whitter then head down to Seward and take a charter or rent a boat Then do some combat fishing (or just watch the show) on the Kenai or the Russian River. Then head over to Homer and do some Halibut fishing.
    Keep in mind that Rooms can be in short supply during the high season and can be expensive. Tent camping is ok if wou are set up with the right gear but I don't know of any one that rents tent camping gear.
    If you are dead set on tent camping and can not find any one that rents it, I have a 10' X 20' 2 room tent, a camp stove, and some other camping gear, and I would be willing to loan (not Rent) it to you for a week or so. I gave up tent camping years ago and don't use it any more. I live in the Anchorage area.
    Send me a PM if I can help
    Good luck

jkelch, I sent you a PM regarding your trip.

If you are considering Sitka:

The Allan Point cabin (on Hallack Island) might be worth a look; reasonable distance, access to various salt and fresh (Nakwasina River) fishing.

I talked to the owner of Nordic Tug charters out of Juneau. Nice guy and his boats look top shelf. The 37 ft boat looks like the big winner for the 4 of us. Definitely more luxury than we were looking for but still in our price range. Thinking of heading to Icy Strait and the Glacier Bay national park. This area looks like it has all the things we are looking for Scenery, halibut, silver salmon, crabs and good places to duck into when the weather gets rough. Any halibut honey holes locations on Icy Strait would be appreciated.

From one Coastie to another, if you want a few spots to fish, send me a pm and I will hook you up. I spend ALOT of time over in Icy and know plenty o places and believe me when I say, if you dont know what you are doing over there, you will catch nothing and may even fish at 600' on an ebb current with 1200' of line stretching from the Sisters to Funter Bay. This is why a good guide/charter is a good idea. If fishing (or rather catching) is the focus of your trip, I would definitly suggest going the charter route.

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    ... with 1200' of line ...
    There you go again, talking about that Sablefish trip I promised you! ;-)

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I still have not dropped that line, but it is coming this year. Thats my New Years resolution, must fish deeper.

Default Lower Paradise Lake...

Here is the skinny on a trip I plan to take sometime myself...

It is near Seward. Spend some time at the cabin listed here and then take a day charter or two out of Seward. Seward is a nice place. Lots to see there for a day or two. We took the Kenai Fjords 9 hour cruise (beautiful) and saw whales, sea lions, otters, etc... Exit Glacier is just a few miles away. The Sea Life Center is worth walking through. And lots of charter boats for halibut, silvers, etc... Great place to visit. The cabin comes with a boat. A float tube may be nice to take along too. I have heard of some good fishing there, but you would want to research it more. Below is a link to the cabin (rent well in advance) and the link below is of some pictures of the lake. The third link summarizes someone's trip to Lower Paradise Lake and has several pictures. Looks like a great leisurely vacation waiting to happen if you ask me.

http://www.alaskastock.com/resultsfr...aradise%20lake

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/cab..._paradise.html

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...tg/32eotg.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast