Thread: Calling Wolves???

Default Calling Wolves???

Anyone here ever try bringin' in wolves with a predator call? If so, what type of call would be recommended? I'd like to hear of your experiences if any.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Default ussually don't call em til i see em

which is just about never in most places....however i have had them come into a rabbit in distress....and howling works too....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Predator Hunting magazine a couple years ago did a story on a guy up in Fairbanks named Marty Webb who seems to be very good at it.

I've always wanted to contact him if I ever make my way back up there out of this windy, rain-soaked hell and see if he would put on a calling clinic or do a one-on-one.
    Now what ?

Try a recording of dogs barking. That seems to be their food of choice this winter.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Howl

One way to find out if any are in the area is to set up, wait a few minutes and howl. If any are within ear-shot, they will answer you. I've done this many, many times.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

You don't need a call, just tie a poodle to a tree.

Default Lets make a deal

My girlfiend has a bichon Freize (or however it's spelled) that we can use, just have someone make noise about fifteen feet away from him when he cant see, and he'll make all the noise needed. After the wolves are finished with their snack, we can split the profit on their pelts.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    My girlfiend has a bichon Freize (or however it's spelled) that we can use, just have someone make noise about fifteen feet away from him when he cant see, and he'll make all the noise needed. After the wolves are finished with their snack, we can split the profit on their pelts.

Chris
    Deal!

It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

From what I know from my several years of trapping / calling, you're just lucky if you call a wolf. Down here on the peninsula, they have a large range and are always moving. For the most part, they'll move through an area every 7-10 days. You may get lucky and catch them passing through, but your best bet is to place well concealed snares and hope to get them that way. Good luck.

Default Calling

I agree with the previous post - a snare set is the way to go. If you do want to try calling I would recomend trying to find a kill and call in the area. However finding a fresh kill is about has hard as finding a wolf running around.

I called in a large black wolf off a moose kill last April - rabbit in distress call. It is an awesome thing when they come to the call.

If you want to find a kill just keep an eye on the birds. Eagles, ravens and magpies will show you where the kills are.

Default wolf calling

Have been calling in wolves for a few years now. Called in a pack of 12 and a pack of 7 this paast week. First you must find fresh tracks then I howl to see if they are still around, if they answer i use a fawn in distress with a sitting fawn "lawn" ornament (with scent) to lure them in. Have had great success this way. Have even taken them with a bow but you better have lots of patience!

I was looking at a moose call that would let you do calf calls and more than one person said that it wouldn't work this time of year cause wolves were too smart (probably the same people that think bass plugs won't work on trout). Now you are telling me that Alaskan wolves will come running to a fawn in distress call!

Default calling wolves

No I am not saying "Alaska wolves" will do anything! I have not hunted wolves in AK. I'm saying the wolves I hunt which are in Northern Alberta and British Columbia will. However, I do believe a wolf is a wolf and if one imitates it's prey they will respond similiar where ever they may be found.Our wolves also prey on moose/elk/deer. I would use a moose calf decoy if I could find one. I will say that when I haul a road kill moose carcass out onto the ice (lake/river/slough) the wolves show up within 48 hours -always!!

Default Natural Instincts

All animals have natural instincts and memories. If a wolf ate a calf in June and it was a good meal, he is certainly going to remember that in January. Nevertheless less curious about the call.

I was cutting firewood last week and came home on the snowgo. The dog was gone. I looked all over. He was about 200 yards from the house sitting where I had him sit last March while cutting firewood in a different area. He remembered: chainsaw+snowgo+firewood = dad is over there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default calling wolves

The short answer to your question is YES wolves can be called in. Like the fellow from Alberta I have called them in but I use a regular old predator call. A friend has on video a pack of 4 he called in after shooting one at 100 yards the rest came in to 10 yards and this was in the fall. It does work just takes patience and a good setup good luck!!

Default calling wolves

To add to the other chaps comments on wolves remembering. That's oh so true. Should you call in a single and miss your opportunity (shot) it likely won't return for quite some time. On the other hand should you kill it immediately retreive it and begin to call again incase the rest of the pack is around. If the whole pack comes in be sure to gun for the domiunant male (he'll be the first to the decoy), the rest of the pack will dispurse but usually they will come to his aid allowing for 1-2 more shots.The gun shot doesn't usually spook them, in fact I have had wolves come to the gun shot in moose/elk season because thet REMEMBER that a gun shot usually means a gut pile. However, scent elimination is a must. I read somewhere that a wolf has a nose 750x greater than that of a dog. How they can measure that is beyond me? GOOD LUCK!!!