Thread: Deer hunting Prince William Sound

Default Deer hunting Prince William Sound

Does anyone have new info on hunting deer in the sound. I have hunted Naked, Knight, and Montegue islands over the last several years without much success.

Default PWS deer

What sort of new info are you looking for?

Go to Kodiak I hunted Montague for three years. After my first trip to Kodiak I never went back

Default Deer

Yah that's it! go to Kodiak and leave all the PWS deer to us locals! JUST kidding!

Seriously, the deer hunting is great in the Sound. People limit out year after year. But it is different than hunting Kodiak. Kodiak is a lot more open so there's lot's more spot and stalk type deer hunting. In the Sound, there is some of that in the alpine, but there's a lot more timber and brush hunting. (Though I don't think there's any more brushy hunting than in a Kodiak alder patch) Hunting the Sound just takes some getting used to. There are lots of meadows in the Sound that have great hunting around them. I like to hunt the edges of the meadows, just inside the brush or timberlines. Sometimes If the conditions are right, I'll hunt with the wind hoping to push a deer out in front of me into a meadow. But I'm not against still hunting the timber either. The secret there is hunting SLOW.

It's nice to be mobile so if there seems to be no deer sign in a local area you can move. But if there's lots of sign, the deer are there. you just need to adjust the way you hunt to see them. I can't imagine hunting Montague and not having some pretty good success. The few times I've hunted there were pretty darn good hunting. I've never hunted the Naked group, but I have hiked around there and seen a few deer. I will say it's pretty tight quarters though and careful still hunting would be required to be successful. Elenore Is. is popular with a few of my friends.

As I live in Cordova, most of my hunting is done on Hawkins Is. and Hinchinbrook which are short boat trips for me. Hawkins gets hit pretty hard by the locals, but has been good to me over the years. Hinchinbrook has some great hunting, but I like to go there late when chances of a bear run in have slimmed down. I'd be willing to bet Hinchinbrook has the highest bear density on the Sound. Some areas are infested.

Default Hinchinbrook Deer

Hunted out of Double Bay Cabin last year in mid Oct. Get away from the cabin and up the hills. Sign everywhere, trails pocked with deer prints as wide as 6 feet in places. Lots of scat. That being said, we only shot four. Sitkas are patient, unlike whitetail they do not bolt away from you, they just freeze and wait for you to walk on by, or go up the mountains. We didn't hunt far or high enough away fromt the cabin we suspect. Lesson learned. Hunt slow and quiet. Bring good rain gear and boots, lots of creeks and beaver dam lakes. We saw lots of bear sign but no bears, but still be careful.

Transportation: drove from Anchorage to Whittier. Ferry from Whittier to Cordova. Used Cordova Coastal Outfitters to get out to the island - nice operation, good price. If hunting a bay, bring a zodiak and a small motor so you can cover more territory and cut down on your drag time.

Bring a slingshot too. Lots of grouse, put one in the pot for a mid hunt snack.

Default Ucohokie

A buddy and I were hunting not to far from you in mid Oct. on Hawkins. We did well with two really nice bucks and a smaller fork and a spike, but we were being pretty selective on that hunt. We were seeing between 10 and 20 deer between the two of us each day.

You were in a good area. A couple factors may have slowed your seeing deer besides not getting high enough because on our mid Oct hunt we were seeing deer aboiut halfway up the bigger peaks. They were definitely in pre rut mentality then. You mentioned one factor in hunting close to the cabin. If there had been someone else in there before you the deer might have still been stirred up. The other factor is bears. Nothing gets deer out of an area like bear activity. There are a couple areas I like on Hinchinbrook that have great deer hunting in late Nov and Dec, that aren't worth bothering with while the salmon are still running. The bears in the area just push the deer to other areas.

We also did an overnight hunt in early Dec in Anderson Bay which is the next bay to the west of Double Bay. We got a doe and small fork the first day, then another small fork and a real nice fork the second day. Of course the bears were gone and the deer were hanging close to the beaches then.

Default Thanks for the information

Thanks for the good tips. I hunted Kodiak twice, the deer were plentiful, we sorted through lots of bucks. As one of you said, PWS is different. I am hunting there because that is where I have access with my boat. Hunting high on Montegue was not an option in late October, the shale in the area was so slippery you would need cramp-ons and ropes to move through it safely . That leaves the lower areas, which, as you say, are fairly thick with the occasional clearing. I think I will try still hunting this fall, so far we walked, and, I think, either walked by, or moved the deer out in front. I am launching from Whittier, so one of the island groups in the Western Sound is a better location, considering the size of my boat, and the fall weather conditions. I saw the most deer signed on Montegue, however, one of my friends was successful on Green Island.

Default twodux

We had plenty of bear sign within a mile of the cabin. The salmon bones littering the main creeks were probably a month old but we found plenty of dug up tubers and fresh scat. But the bear(s), I'm pretty sure it was just one, probably a 6 footer or so based on the paw prints, seemed to avoid us. Didn't even eat the gut piles of the two deer I shot side by side of each other, the magpies and ravens took care of those, and they were dropped within 3/4 mile of the cabin up the first ridge (dumb luck, hunted less than an hour after dropping our gear off at the cabin, and a buck and a doe come walking a creek bed towards me)

About a mile and half away from the cabin and about 500 feet up, I found one track I could fit my boot in (I'm size 9). Would have like to have seen that bear!

Default Double Bay Cabin

If I remember right, Ted Winnen, the airforceman who got the big bear on Hinchinbrook a few years back was hunting out of the Double Bay cabin. So there are big bears in the area. Like I said, I try to avoid them. I don't want a bear messing up a perfectly good deer hunt and I don't want the bother of having to salvage a bear if I was forced to shoot it, so avoidence is my policy. The bears were very aggressive last year and there were a few shot, even on Hawkins which has relatively few bears. If the pinks don't show up in force soon, they may even be worse this year.

Default bear issues

Yes, I don't like having to deal with the bears either. My second trip to Kodiak found bears in our camp and in the hunt area. They ate some of our deer, popped our inflatable boat, and in general made our hunt a little uncomfortable. I think I will try one of the smaller island in the sound, they tend to have small, if not no permenent bears. Transits are always a possiblity, they follow the rifle shots on Kodiak, and swim like gold medalist.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux
    If I remember right, Ted Winnen, the airforceman who got the big bear on Hinchinbrook a few years back was hunting out of the Double Bay cabin. So there are big bears in the area. Like I said, I try to avoid them. I don't want a bear messing up a perfectly good deer hunt and I don't want the bother of having to salvage a bear if I was forced to shoot it, so avoidence is my policy. The bears were very aggressive last year and there were a few shot, even on Hawkins which has relatively few bears. If the pinks don't show up in force soon, they may even be worse this year.
    Mike Harmenig was mauled on Hinchinbrook while deer hunting a few years ago, as well. I think he was also staying in the Double Bay Cabin.