Thread: Fly line help

Question Fly line help

Hello, I am new to your forum, but have lived on P.O.W. Ak since 89.

I`m a flyflinger and because of tennis elbow, I have switched from single to two handed rods.

This one is for the fly line guru`s out there.

I`m using rio`s wind cutter spey floater line, tossing a large indicator, split shot, and double fly setup, but I`m having trouble getting all that airborne. Can I cut the tapper back to the belly, or will that only create more problems?

Would appreciate your help.

Buck 54

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Buck 54 View Post
    Hello, I am new to your forum, but have lived on P.O.W. Ak since 89.

I`m a flyflinger and because of tennis elbow, I have switched from single to two handed rods.

This one is for the fly line guru`s out there.

I`m using rio`s wind cutter spey floater line, tossing a large indicator, split shot, and double fly setup, but I`m having trouble getting all that airborne. Can I cut the tapper back to the belly, or will that only create more problems?

Would appreciate your help.
    Buck 54
    You did not say what weight spey line your using. If your using added weight, split shot, slinkies,etc. get another spool for your reel with 30 lb backing, and level running / floating line. You can reserch this, Great Lakes, method for drift fishing. I use spey rods rigged this way all the time, works great. If you want to spey cast only you might want to tye your own leaders, so that there balanced. Get a good book on the subject,Steelhead Dreams, by Matt Supinski,and your on your way!I have used a RIO brand line, true spey line, in cold weather, and have found it so stiff that it would not cast unless you had so much line out, the rod would not load any other way. Just be aware that what works in summer, might not below freezing. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

basically flylines though different are all the same.

The deal is where or how the weight is used in the line with the rod at hand.

A super weight forward like a pike taper having it's taper all up front is going to cast easier then a long distance or some of the windcutters as mentioned which are going to cast much better then say a parralell taper. Rods to line combos unfortunatly can only be found by trial and error.

I have and continue to do the 1 up rig. That is buying the next higher wf for my single handed rods. The idea is to get more weight in the air quicker to get the rod to load faster. Which means less false casting and longer casts at that. I'm by no means a pro at it, but I can hold my own on the river. You could go up a couple tapers if you have too. I dont know how this is going to work spey casting though. 1 wont hurt it. The problem is most rods are too stiff for the lines they are "supposed" to handle. Which means you'll need more line in the air to load it, which means more false casting, more shooting line, more..more...more.... Kind of a snowballs effect. Add wind, bad weather, slow fishing, makes for a long day on the water real quick.

I have tried double handed on a single rod in years past, never really got the hang of it. I'd like to read up on this great lakes double handed method as I do fish the brule in the spring for steelies, sure is fun! It's mostly a flippn lead game though more then fly fishing. Even so much as running straight backing for running line to a barrel swivel and then a leader with an egglop and yarn, nothing fancy but it sure is deadly.

So basically if you cut the taper off from the hook end side, you'll be effectively lightening the line making it harder and harder to cast. You can cut the taper off, and make a loop connnection, then buy a head of heavier weight (line size, or sinking weight) to get what you want.

Trey Combs steelie book has some great stuff on building lines also. Like I said I'm not a double guy but I'm suprised there isnt a ton of lines to pick from for the 2 handers? You could if you do cut your line behind the taper, try buying a double taper of the next higher line size or a couple next line sizes and see how they cast. The DT's are usually pretty cheap.

Lastly depending on your fly, how big and what it's made of, it can and will act like a wet sock. Usually synthetics get airborne much much quicker. Find something that doesnt hold water. Dubbing and rabbit hair, well stay away . Long leaders and lots of lead will also make it harder......

Hope it helps.......

Smile Fly line reply

Thanks guys you have given me a great place to start.

I will try your suggestion's. I like the idea of the one up tip.

check out speypages.com. It's another forum on spey fishing/casting.