Thread: Reliability of Post '64 Push Feed M70's?

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

Default Reliability of Post '64 Push Feed M70's?

I've never owned one, or detail stripped one, but they seem to be around for relatively short money here and there. I have four nice CRF M70's (SS .338WM, Super Grade .300WM, Super Express .375 H&H, and .270 WSM Laminated). I was considering a push feed .338 or .375 as a bang around rifle. Hey, at least it's still an M70 is my argument to myself when I consider the other current rifles out there.

I prefer a blued rifle with a wood stock unless I'm going to be in and out of skiffs/boats. I know this requires evtra care (I wipe with a rag soaked in Sheath every night and a light coat of Rig biannually on nonmoving, difficult to reach areas under the stock). It also must have iron sights.

I considered a Ruger 375 but want to stay away from playing with more brass and dies (I already reload 15+ cartridges semiregularly...).

Any thoughts?

Happy Holidays

I have had 5 post-64 pushfeed (made in the late 60s or early 70s) M-70s. A 375 HH, a 30-06 converted to a 358 Norma Mag, a 30-06 feather weight , a 458 win mag and a 300 Winchester.
    The 375HH and the 30-06 did not have any problems. The converted 358 Norma skipped the occasional round during a couple critical moments and was sold. The 300 win mag and 458 skipped a couple times as well. Mine all seem to have been made during periods of poor workmanship. I sold all of them and do not miss any. My brother has a nice push-feed M-70 from the mid 80s. The schnabel fore-end light-weight 30-06. That seems to be a good rifle.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I have two M70s with the push feed - one in 375 the other in 30.06. No problems noted. Both work like a champ.

I still have one in 30-06 that is the first big game rifle I ever bought. I've had it since 1970 and have never had a problem with it.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

I have two, 30-06 and 338. Both shoot very well and I have NEVER had a feed problem or any problem for that mater. I own several CRF too; if anything, the push feeds are a bit smoother. Buy and use with confidence. J.

Default Push feed '70's

Blue,walnut 375 H&H push feed, no problems so far.

(For what it's worth, a lot of PH's in Africa used post '64 Winchesters for years because that's what was available)

I was working in a sporting goods store when the change was first made. The only folks that had problems with skipping rounds were the same ones who had problems with the original version. In both cases they were short stroking when they worked the action, especially with long rounds. Pretty routine complaint for a while, but since we had a range behind the store it was easy to take the customer outside and watch them at work. I definitely liked the original versions better, but it had nothing to do with the feed. It was purely aesthetic.

Former Palmer Resident, currently back in Northern NH

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Does the push feed M70 bolt disassemble as easy/the same as (i.e., without tools) the pre '64 and the Classics?

My wife has one in 30-06'. Never had one problem.

Ron

Norseman vbmenu_register("postmenu_187705", true);

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Does the push feed M70 bolt disassemble as easy/the same as (i.e., without tools) the pre '64 and the Classics

Yes, the bolt disassembly is the same. I have owned the Classic M70, Pre-64 and push feed models. All shoot and feed perfectly. sometimes a little polish work might be required to get the follower in line with the chamber but other than that which is expected on occasion, I have 7 M-70's and they are my go to rifles. I prefer my M70's to all other of my rifles.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have the perfect "bang around rifle" for you. I have considered selling it for "relatively short money". It has been a project rifle. I can't think of anything more that it needs or that I'd want to do to it. I really don't need a 338, but it's been fun handloading for it, and shooting it. I've hunted with it, and carried it for an extra rifle when I went hunting, too, although I've never kilt an animal with it.

338 WM 24 inch barrel.
    Mdl 70 Winchester, (New Mdl 70) (Post 64, early model) purchased from a friend.

I had to clean rust, crud, and water damage.
    I replaced the extractor,
    I replaced the Sight Hood.
    I replaced the sling

The original factory stock was not up to my standards. It had impressed checkering, lousy wood, and was free floated to the extreme. I replaced the stock, with another factory stock, more to my liking. It had real checkering, cheekpiece and comb. Unlike the original, It had a blind magazine, so I had to get a new magazine box, and trigger guard, because the original with the floorplate wouldn’t work. (also needed stock screws) I ended up refinishing the stock with LinSpeed from Brownells.
    I adjusted the new magazine box sides for correct for feeding.

Some work was done by a gunsmith....
    I had a Limbsaver recoil pad installed. It is fine except that it was a ‘Grind to fit” one and it ended up sticky. I put stock finish on it, and it helps.
    I had the trigger adjusted.
    I had the barrel re-crowned.

Currently, it has a New Weaver K4 rifle scope installed in Weaver mounts.

I have used higher power scopes on it in the past, and was able to shoot groups close to 1 inch, a bit more or less, with 250 grain Hornady RN boolits, and 67 grains of H4350.

The recoil isn't bad, even though, it weighs less than a couple of 7mm Mags I have.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.