Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber Montana Rifle

Default Kimber Montana Rifle

Does anyone own or have used a Kimber Montana? I have been looking at them and was just looking for feedback before deciding to purchase one.

My wife has one in 7mm/08. Rifle is nice and light and shoots very well. Nice trigger as well.
    For some reason it seems easy to short stroke the action but other than that it is a good rifle.
    However, I seen some people shooting them at the range and the accuracy seems to be "hit or miss". If it were up to me I would of bought a SS Ruger but this is what wifey wanted.
    Tennessee

Im looking at buying then 84m varmint. Have some family going to take a look at it this coming weekend. They missed out yesterday due to a snow storm, ugg....

My son is gettin' one from Santa, in 260 Rem. Its nice and light (5 lbs, 2 oz.) without the scope, i haven't fired it yet but its a rifle for the mountains...you can carry that thing all day...swung by Santa Claus house in North Pole and took a look at it ...they are putting the magic dust on it right now, it'll be delivered tonight................CK

I have one in .308 Win. It is a joy to carry in the mountains. 6 pounds 2 ounces with scope,sling, and ammo; if I recall correctly. It is quite accurate with 150 grain Accubonds. I had to send it back to Kimber twice for feeding problems, though. They did fix it the second time.

A year or so ago I was torn between the Kimber Montana and the Remington 700 Titanium. The price was about the same. The weights were about the same. The guys at Great Northern Guns even pulled out a scale and we played around with a few rifles of each type in various calibers. They let me come in every day to play some more until I had the money in hand at the end of the week.

During that particular gun buying session, it came down to 3 calibers, 308, 30-06 or 300WSM.

I finally bought a Remington 700 titanium in 30-06. At the time, it slightly edged out the 308 and 300wsm Montanas because;;;;;

1. The M-700 Ti in 30-06 had a little better power than the 308 with heavy bullets
    2. And more magazine capacity than the 300WSM.
    3. Also I found the Montana stocks to be more slippery feeling than the Remingtons.
    4. Remingtons have a reputation for out of the box accuracy.
    5. There are LOTs of Remington after market parts and pieces...
    6. I had hundreds of rounds of 30-06 and lots of loading gear for that caliber.

HOWEVER: after having fired 300 plus rounds thru the Remington, I wish I had a Montana to compare it against.

1. The Remington Titanium turned out not to be very accurate out of the box, due to the super light barrel. Although I have now fixed that with free floating the barrel.
    2. The out of the box action on the m700 was really not all that smooth and took some work.
    3. While I have not had any problems with the M-700 push feed, YET, I really do like the controlled feed of the Kimbers.
    4. I personally prefer the M-70 style safety of the Kimbers which locks the firing pin in place.

IF I had seen a Montana in 30-06 that week, I probably would have bought it and figured out how to texture the stock for a better grip.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Kimber Montana 270 WSM

Santa is bringing the wife a Kimber in 270 WSM. Topping it with a Zeiss 3x9x50 Conquest in SS and mounting the scope using a Dednutz one piece scope mount. Hope to have it at the range before the new year.

Merry Xmas

Steve

I've got one in 300WSM and it has offically bcome my favorite rifle of all time (and i've owned a bunch). Scary accurate and built rock solid and all in a tidy little 6+ lb package. I've got a 2.5-8x36 VX-III on it mounted in Talley Lightweights and its the Bomb!

Default I have one.

I bought the 7mm-08 Kimber Montana for my 10 and 12 year old daughters. They have shot each a Black bear and each a Sheep. It is great for packing around. For what I am doing with it, I like it.

I had to send it back once because it would not shoot anything tighter than 8" at 100 yds. Kimber fixed the problem. I can not shoot a group tighter than 2" at 100 yds. Kimber's response is that that is factory standard for the shorter barrel. The action is not very smooth so will be having that dealt with soon. Kimber seems to respond quick to fixing problems. I have to ask the question though, "Why so many problems?"

It is the lightest rifle I could find, so I'm willing to sacrifice a little. Hope that helps.

FYI: You can read about our Sheep hunt in the upcoming Spring issue of FNAWS Wild Sheep.

Just like "Float Pilot", I was torn between the .308 Montana and .30/06 M700Ti. I settled on the Kimber mostly because I have more model 70 Winchesters on the rack than any other rifle. Also, I figured if I used 180's or less, I wouldn't give up much to the .30/06. My Kimber barrel seems pretty fast. I was able to get 2900 FPS with 150's and 2500 FPS with 200 grain A-Frames.

Default No better stock rifle

I have a Kimber Montana in 300WSM, with Zeiss glass on Talley lightweight rings. Straight out of the box, it shoots and feels better than any custom gun I've ever had. The trigger is perfect: clean and crisp. The action is silky smooth. The balance and feel are superb. It shoots crazy good (sub MOA on a benchrest). And to top it off, it is extremely light weight. (My former favorite, a custom Win Model 40, has taken a back seat. It is almost twice as heavy as my Kimber. That makes a huge difference when you're humping across the tundra or up the side of a mountain.)

I've read about a few folks who've had feeding problems with their Kimbers, but I've experienced no problems along these lines.... or problems of any type. On another forum, I've read about a guy who sent his rifle back to Kimber and got a phenomenal, tweaked custom rifle back (for free). Can't vouch that that's true though.

I simply don't know what I'd do to improve this stock rifle. It is an 11 out of 10. If you can't tell, I'm just tickled with it.

For sheer value, (low price + accuracy & reliability), I'd consider the Tikka T3. It is hard to love that stock, though. But, if Momma will agree to spending $1,000, I don't know where you'd find a better rifle than the Kimber Montana.

If you haven't done it already, my bottom line advice is to go to a place where they will let you compare the rifles you like side by side. In a perfect world, shoot the rifles side by side. Good luck.

Default I do in .308 Win

This rifle is very light weight and extremely accurate! Iíve mounted a Leupold VXII 3-9x40, and I shoot Black Hills 168 grain BTSPís. I consistently shoot ľĒ groups on the bench!

I have the walnut stock Ė itís beautiful. The one issue I have the Kevlar stock is that Kimber did not build a hinge plate to remove unspent rounds. So you have to cycle each round through the action to remove them. I donít think this is worth the 6 ounces.

You should know, after I bought this gun and took it to the range I learned the hard way that the rounds would not feed properly. Also had a hell of a time removing spent cases from the receiver. They literally got stuck, I had to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the gun to cool down before I could work the action removing the spent shells Ė not enough headspace.

Kimber did fix these problems, no questions asked but I had to send it back TWICE to their Yonkers, NY plant.

You should bring snap caps with you and demand that the retailer permits you to cycle them through the action a few times. Iíve learned on this forum alone that Iím not the only one who had this problem.

I have to admit that now; I have a sweet shooting light weight accurate rifle and Iím very happy with it.

As an FYI, FNH USA is building (Pre 64 design) Model 70 hunting rifles in their SC plant. They will be on the retail the market this June 2008.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/thegunshots/2007/10/winchester-mode.html

http://www.howardcommunications.com/winchester_firearms_news/Winchester%20Model%2070.html

Good luck and Happy Holidays

I've owned a total of eight Kimber rifles. 7 Montanas: 1 - 84 (243Win) and 6 - 8400s (all 4 WSMs and 2 long action 270Win and 300 Win mag) and an 84 ProVarmint in 22-250. IMHO the 8400 WSMs are the best of the bunch. The 84 Montanas to me are too small and the long actions are too big, the 8400 WSMs are just right (although I do have some issues with those cartridges.) I have also experienced some feeding issues with the 84s. Yes, sometimes they have issues as any factory rifle is subject to. Overall, my experience is that they are generally a very good value for the money and can be quite accurate. For someone looking for a good handling, lightweight, trim, well balanced package, Kimber definitely fits the bill.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Default kimber

I have a Kimber Montana in 325 WSM. I was having some feeding problems and when I closed the action it would make a vibrating sound. I sent it to kimber and got it back about 1 week ago. The sound is now gone and it feeds great. The accuracy is nothing to brag about with factory rounds but then again I don't have a huge selection to choose from in 325 WSM. I am going to start handloading for it soon and hopefully get some smaller groups with it. I have hunted with it and I will say that besides the initial problems it is an awesome walking rifle. I can carry it in my hands all day and not feel the need to use the sling if I don't want to. I had a vx3x3.5x10x40 leupold scope on it with kimber bases and loopy rings, but found that the scope was too close for comfort. So I put a vx3x2.5x8x36 on it with same rings and bases and it now fits me perfectly.

Thumbs up 325 wizzum for me

Quote Originally Posted by OneRound View Post
    I have a Kimber Montana in 300WSM, with Zeiss glass on Talley lightweight rings. ...
    I simply don't know what I'd do to improve this stock rifle. It is an 11 out of 10....
    Have it mag-na-ported I have a 325 Montana with a VXIII 2.5-8x36 with Talley lightweights. It shoots factory 200gr accubonds sub moa at 100 yds. Last year off the bench I put two sub moa at 300 yds back to back.

The light Kimber in the 325 has some muzzle jump off the bench and is kind of "torquey". I had in mag-na-ported and wow, what a difference. I can shoot it off the bench in a rest and the muzzle will not jump. Before, you had to have a fairly good grip on it.

For me it's the perfect do it all rifle and caliber, I've loaded up some 220s and may load some 150's or 170's for sheep hunting. But, realistically I can kill anything I want to hunt with the 325 with 200's and the whole package only weighs 7 lbs.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Snyd

Who did your gun work???0 Might have the wifes tweaked a little before the spring.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Who did your gun work???0 Might have the wifes tweaked a little before the spring.

Steve
    http://www.magnaport.com/rifle.html

The only work I've had done is the mag-na-port. Mag-Na-Port are the only ones who do it. I did not want a muzzle brake. Mag-na-port are 2 trapezoid and 2 oval slots if your not aware. I pulled the barrel, sent it off and had it back 2 or 3 weeks later. Keep in mind that included mailing it USPS Priority mail. Quick turn around I thought.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default One more note about Kimber

I posted this in August 2006....

----------------------
    So I bought a new Kimber Montana .325 a few weeks ago. Took it on a twelve day gnarly walkin sheep hunt. Brush bustin, creek crawling, crag climbing, rock slide sheep country, etc. Killed my ram, my buddies gun jammed so I handed him the Kimber and he shot his ram with it also. Great way to break in a new gun! The gun took a beatin well except on the very front of the stock ahead of the sling mount on the round part I noticed a hole about 1/16 of an inch or a little larger. It revealed a small cavity in the stock, like there was a bubble during casting or something. The hole has now chipped away a little than an 1/8 inch. I called Kimber and talked to Winslow. He didn't even hesitate or question me about it. He said "we'll replace it". Just like that. I told him I'd email him pics and he said "okay, if you want". Bottom line is he said send it back when you are ready. So, after moose hunting I'll mail them the stock and he'll mail a new one. I could ship the whole rifle if I want. But the Montana stocks are all consistent as far as fit he said because of the molding process. Computer generated instead of one stock made and then a reverse mold made, etc. This way I don't have to ship the whole rifle and deal with the feds, etc.

Anyway, kudos to Kimber

--------------------------

I shot a bull in September and then sent the stock to Kimber. The new stock I got back had a different paint finish. Slightly darker and kind of rough. Not quite as smooth as the original one. I like it better. I understand it's the second generation (now standard) stock.

I have a buddy who owned a gunshop. In a years time he sold 96 Savage rifles and never had one come back with a problem.

All this negative stuff about the Kimber scares me. I just got a 84m in 338 federal. I'm half tempted to trade it off while its still unfired. There is absolutely no way that a manufacture selling guns for these prices should put out shoddy work that requires these guns to be returned to the factory. I don't care how prompt they are about fixing the problem. If they are capable of correcting the problem in short order then they should be able to prevent them to start with. If it were one in a hundred that had a problem it wouldn't be an issue however it appears that half are defective right out of the box.

I'm wondering if these problems relate to a run of guns over a certain time period. If this the case then with shelf time and what not these problems could string out over a period of time. Does anybody know...did Kimber make any adjustments to quality control to correct the feed/accuracy problems with recently manufactured guns? Or is it still happening?

Kimber makes their own kevlar composite stocks. In fact the only thing that they don't make in house is the Pachmeyer decelerator pad. It appears that with my stock there just happened to be a bubble that formed during the molding process. With any manufactured item there is always a chance of a flaw in the metal, composite, rubber compound, etc. It happens. No biggie as far as I'm concerned. I didn't really is it as shabby work, nothings perfect. I'll keep my Kimber for the rest of my life. I thinks it's perfect.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast