Thread: ATV & Tracks

Default ATV & Tracks

Well I kinda hi-jacked a different thread talking about tracks so will repost here.

I have had a couple of different sets of tracks for my bike. 1st set was Mattracks, very expensive and do not perform well in the snow and very heavy to steer. 2nd set was / is the kimpex Commanders, which I love. The fellows I ride with have a variety of track makes. Tatou's (original), Tatou 4s (new this year) TJD gen 3 (also known as cattracks) and TJD Gen X (gen X was new last year but had a design flaw) Gen X redesigned for this year and seem to work very well. The technology has improved so much in the last few years that now it is a Ford vs Chevy kind of thing. Below are a couple of pics, these are both of the Mattracks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default How about mud'n?

How did the tracks work for you in mud? I've heard good and bad.

The bad being that when stuck, the rear tracks have a tendancy to want to dive like a "dipsy diver", any truth to that?

How about throwing a track in the mud?

Do you prefer big tires over tracks for traveling boggy areas?

Just a few questions if you don't mind. I'm considering a Rhino with tracks for summer use. Any and all opinions from those with track experience is welcomed.

From our experiments with tracks in the mud ... keep using your best mud tires..... An early lesson learned is when tracks start to spin..stop and back up and try again. Spinning tracks will dig you in deep fast, and since they are considerably heavier than tires and an awkward shape it becomes a real challenge to get unstuck. This applies whether it's snow or mud. Tracks really don't like crossing logs either. The leading edge of the rear track doesn't have enough angle of attack to climb the log and usually just hooks under instead Now you can't back up or go ahead. This makes for a lot of work

The only tracks that I have ever seen actually throw a track is the TJD gen 3 or cattracks. I've seen them come off quite often. Not too bad to put back on, but does take some tools.

As for tracks in bog and muskeg, yes they have better flotation than tires but are next to impossible to get the atv free if you do manage to get stuck. Particularly when it is a bottomless bog and your traveling on the woven grasses on the top. And remember there are always logs and roots to deal with, which tracks don't like at all.

We use out tracks in the winter as that is where they perform the best. You can go more places than a sled and pull more weight than a sled as well, but you can't go anywhere near as fast as a sled.

Tracks are a totally different fun factor than a sled.

Default A big thanks.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Default My 2 cents

I own a set of Mattrax Litefoots
    -In muskeg they work great...don't break through and will get you into places others can't
    -Second when you get stuck you are stuck good....advice, get at least 2 winches (one for the front and one for the back)....when you fall through your front end will dive and your rear tracks will be up in the air....I have been in deep holes where the fronts aren't evening grabbing and the rear is in the air...stop and winch backwards....if you keep trying to pry it loose/on the throttle you will make it worse...hard lesson learned
    -Upgrade your front CV joints to a heavier duty one (Gorrilla makes one that is 70-80% stronger than stock)
    -I have thrown tracks...not fun
    -Know when to change to wheels....mattrax are easy to change to wheels...because the tracks do not like tight narrow mountain trails....stick to snow, tundra/muskeg, bogs, and open areas.

Want more the threads...there are plenty