Thread: Waders for Float Hunt

Default Waders for Float Hunt

What are your recommendations for waders or hip boots for a moose float hunt? I don't have any so I'm shopping for what works best. Thanks.

You should get plenty of advise on this subject but I prefer a nice pair of gortex waders. With a decent boot that is not part of the waders. Couple this with a good rain jacket and your set. You will wear this outfit the most out of your hunt so I would put most of money into your waders and rain jacket.

just my .02

Default Waders

We have had a few wader threads. Here is a couple, on my float hunts I wear chest waders with a BELT in case you go swimming. If I have a long walk I change into walking boots. I also use a product called NEOS river treckers, they are nice for slipping on and off, and they fit over regular boots. Hip boots have proved to be just too short for float hunting to me, and if you get wet the hunt is over before long so stay dry and have a great hunt.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=19832
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=18726

Merry Xmas All
    Steve

Default Cabelas Guide

Gortex waders. They have a light weight Back County wader boot that is awesome! Using your normal shoe size, they allow plenty of space for layering. I float north ot the aritic circle in late Sept and I have always been able to add enough layers of socks to stay warm during that all day float to the next hunting site.

Thumbs up Gortex waders

Good morning, Believer.

I have used Orvis Tailwater XT waders (stocking foot) http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...subcat_id=7313
    w/ Korkers wading boots (interchangeable soles) for my recent float trip. They both worked out great for floating.

The downsides of the gortex waders were:
    1. noisy enough for me to change out of them when hunting
    2. when you fold the chest portion of the wader down to convert it to a waist wader, it does not breathe as well as you can imagine.

Compare to the hunting partner who wore a pair of hip waders for the 10 d trip, I could say I was much more comfortable.

I would definitely recommend gortex wader option.

Have a blessed Christmas.

Regards,

yhc

Default Wader recommendations

For quietness and outright durability it's hard to beat Lacrosse ankle-fit hip boots. But you will get a lot of condensation inside and your feet will be damp for the whole trip. Breathable chest waders are great in terms of keeping you dry, but they're easily torn and are very noisy in the brush. You can reduce both issues by wearing a pair of Helly Hansen impertech bib rain pants over them while you're busting brush. Take the bibs off when you reach high ground.

I second the recommendation on the Korkers boots. Felt soles are great in the river, but hard to hunt in if you have to do any climbing.

Search the archives; there is a lot on this already.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The Korkers I have came with two soles, a boot (rubber treads) and a felt. There are more soles available to buy. They are very easy to change out and are durable with lots of support. I have hiked several miles with these to rivers, in the river, and back in lightweight breathable waders without any blisters or problems (and I have ate up feet). The only drawback to the Korkers in my humble opinion, are the weight. Once wet they seem to hold the water quite a while adding even more. I carry a second set of soles in my fly vest and go.

Default Gortex

I agree with the comments about the noise in reference to Gortex waders. I ran all over the place in the boots and waders without any sweating or blistering problems. I found the waders from Cabelas were very tear resistant. Mine lasted me over 4 seasons without any problems, I got a rip down the leg, when I finally wore through the thread on the seam. All in all great tear and wear performance from my perspective. Not as hard core as a good ankle grip hip boot, but the pro's out weigh the cons in my book.
    Louis

I think one would be wise to use a lightweight stocking foot wader & just a pair of hiking boots over them. For the average float & close to river hunting its hard to beat them. Simple & cheap I have used felt sole wading boots as well as my favorite hikers over & no problem either way.

I love chest waders but..........

Seems the last few hunting seasons have been really warm here and I ended up sweating my butt off with 5mm neopreme.

I ended up buying a pair of Herters hip waders that are made of a lightweight woven material with a rubber inside and felt soles.
    (I don't know the model).

I figure if I get cold it's alot lighter to carry some insulated socks and longjohns than it is carrying some heavy chest waders around.

(Just don't shoot anything in deep water with your hip waders!)

I have a couple of pairs of Cabela's Bog Buster Hip Boots I have used moose hunting in Maine. They are very light and have snug ankle straps to keep your boots from getting sucked off in the mud. They have worked great for me in Maine but do any of you guys have experience with them up there?
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.