Thread: Odd Swede M-38

Default Odd Swede M-38

A couple weeks back I picked up this odd M-38 (1943 Husquvarna) Swede to keep the M-96 company.
    It came loaded with cosmoline and covered with tape goo. It took a while to clean up.
    A couple odd things about this M-38.
    1. It came with a web canvas sling that was originally only made for the M-94 School Carbine. It appears that the shooting school M-94s did not have a side mount sling but a regular bottom mount affair and a special web sling. This is one of them.
    2. It came with a rack number plate nailed to the stock. I pulled it out and it was very corroded underneath meaning it has been there a long time. The number on the tag does not go with the gun serial number so it was either a unit number or a rack number.
    3. The range plate was mounted sideways. Not in the normal military fashion. As if it was menat to be read while upright in a rack or laid out on its side in front of the shooter.
    4. The stock was not really up to military standards as far as the wood is concerned.
    5. It came with an all steel front sight and mozzle cover that was really stuck on there with hardend cosmoline and rust.
    It is more brown than reddish. My flash unit makes everything look odd.
    Last edited by Float Pilot; 01-27-2008 at 16:07.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

A couple more pics of the odd rack tag and the Swede web sling. The sling was very dirty brown when I received the rifle and there was pieces of tape still stuck around the stock and butt plate. I used goop hand cleaner and dish washing soap for a couple hours to clean up the sling. The leater end is pretty old and I have neats foot oil and mink oil on there now to keep it from getting any worse. I had to use ballistol and mineral spirits to clean the sticky mess off the stock.
    Last edited by Float Pilot; 01-27-2008 at 16:07.

Wow! Where from do you come up with these things. Very nice piece, one of my favorites. Enjoy your Christmas.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I got this one from a guy in Florida. I am open to opinions concerning what this rifle was doing in this odd configuration.
    Why have a sling for the old M94 school carbine? Whats with the old style rack tag? Why is the range plate mounted differently?