A couple weeks back I picked up this odd M-38 (1943 Husquvarna) Swede to keep the M-96 company.
It came loaded with cosmoline and covered with tape goo. It took a while to clean up.
A couple odd things about this M-38.
1. It came with a web canvas sling that was originally only made for the M-94 School Carbine. It appears that the shooting school M-94s did not have a side mount sling but a regular bottom mount affair and a special web sling. This is one of them.
2. It came with a rack number plate nailed to the stock. I pulled it out and it was very corroded underneath meaning it has been there a long time. The number on the tag does not go with the gun serial number so it was either a unit number or a rack number.
3. The range plate was mounted sideways. Not in the normal military fashion. As if it was menat to be read while upright in a rack or laid out on its side in front of the shooter.
4. The stock was not really up to military standards as far as the wood is concerned.
5. It came with an all steel front sight and mozzle cover that was really stuck on there with hardend cosmoline and rust.
It is more brown than reddish. My flash unit makes everything look odd.