Thread: Does the Polaris sportsmen 6x6 swim?

Default Does the Polaris sportsmen 6x6 swim?

I am looking to purchase a Polaris 6x6. I need to know if it will swim across slow moving water. I have many times swam across rivers and sloughs using Suzuki Lt-250's, 500 Quad Masters, and 700' EFI.

I am looking at the 6x6 for hauling more gear. However swimming across water is a priority when looking to buy a rig.

Yes, i know all about argos. All my buddies have them.

I too use to own an argo one. However i am looking at the Polaris 6x6.

Any personal observations of swiming or sinking would be appreciated.

tundra_honkey

It always depends on how deep, of course!! If you were going across the same water on the Suzuki 250's, you'll be fine! Been up to the handlebars a few times on the 250's but the only thing I see with the 6wheelers is the belt slippage when they get wet. Some friends have one and it is DEFINITELY a work-horse and will cross a ton of water but once the belt starts to slip, you're kinda in a pickle. Another reason they do well through the water is they have narrow front tires and dont have to push so much.

I love my 6x6 but, the belt slippage problem would be what I would worry about. I've owned mine three years and have gone through alot of streams and water. I've wet the belt two times over the years. When that happens you are at the mercy of your winch or a friend for about ten minutyes until the belt dries. By the way mine is for sale if you are looking for a good used unit.

No, they won't float. I've had mine drown in Jim creek before to where it was taking water in the bed and it wasn't even close to floating. I also have bigger tires to boot. Best bet would be to snorkel it and get another 10-12" of depth before drowing out. No lake crossing though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default a sad tail of a yard sale

I rode my 99 Big Boss 6x6 to a new area this fall. Its near the Healy area. When I rode in the trail was fairly dry with occasional mud holes. I went with people that had been there before. I had to leave camp 3 days before the rest of my partners did. They made sure I made it through the worst stream crossing. We had not had rain for a few days so I told them I could make it by myself after the crossing. With 9 miles to the road and being 9 miles from camp I came upon a section of trail that was covered with water, as a creek had over flowed its banks. I thought to myself it can't be that deep. But of course the trail looked different from my only other time through 10 days before. I had to pick a side of the trail so I picked the right. Bad Idea as I traveled the water got deeper and deeper there was no turning around or backing up as I had traveled a 1/4 mile in the water on the narrow trail. I began to float keeping the air intake for the belt out of the water. Things were going well till I hit something submerged with my right front tire rolling my machine almost upside down. Anything not tied down was now a floating yard sale. After much winching I found a high spot to dry the air box and belt chamber. My $600.00 camera was ruined in a not so dry-dry box. I am believer in Warn winches as mine probably saved my hide as I was wet from the neck down. The water continued another 1/4 mile but it was uneventful. I flushed the crankcase when I got home a have been devsising a removable snorkel for the belt air intake. In most instances the 6x6 is great in stream crossing the belt can get wet in extreme conditions, I've pulled swamped 4wheelers of every make and transmission style from creeks I crossed first. But I'm still going to carry my snorkel from now on.

If you want a part duck atv start with a 4x4. My Yamahas are all set up to cross any depth water and I practice alot.. They're snorkled, all electrical connections dielectric greased and all vents are run up the handle bars. After the machine is water capable the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to get A LOT of practice time in deep still water and moving rivers. They ALL want to roll side to side and without practice time you can expect to do as well a some little kid learning how to ride a bicycle.