Thread: Pick for Coyote

Kenai, AK

Default Pick for Coyote

I've been looking around down on the peninsula and have been running into quite a few coyotes but don't really have the right armory to hunt them. I've got a 12 gauge shotty and a Ruger 22 Mag pistol, out of these two which would work best for taking a yote. I know I could with the 22 and the shotgun, but am wondering more about what type of load to use in the shotgun. Any information would be helpful thanks

Jacksonville, Florida

Check out There's more information there than you could ever want.

If you want the short answer. Most would say use the shotgun with #4 buck shot through a full choke. You still have to get em close, but I don't think you'd be able to shoot em any farther with the pistol unless it's a fancy match grade target pistol of some sort.

Eagle River 18 years/Anchorage 17 years

Default Good choice for Coyotes

I would not recommend even attempting a shot with your pistol; .22 mag is great with a long-rifle for accuracy and smaller predators like a Redfox or even a Lynx.

A shotgun works and I agree with the previous response about #4 shot, just make sure you check the pattern out at the range first so you know the spread at a certain distance. Shoot 3" mags if your shotgun can take them.

I went looking for a wolf at the Hayfield Flats today and only saw two coyotes tracks working the Knik River, old at that!

Go prepared and it sounds like you found a good area with coyotes, that's more than half the battle.

Default Sportsmans warehouse

They make a special load for coyotes. Go to the warehouse and see if they sell it. I've shot them with copper plated 4 & 6 shot while pheasant hunting in colorado.