Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolves

Default Wolves

The wolves in Eagle River made CNN today. Sounds like a good hunting opportunity.

Default Protect the wolves.

I was wondering how long it would take for the "national media" to pick up the story. It doesn't look good for "friendly, dog like, wolves" to be eating our beloved pets. It might suggest wolves kill for a living???? The ugly darkside might be shown to the "save the wolf" movement.

Or it might be national attention to help the preadator hunts and show a need for them.

KTUU said pilot spotted wolves this morning headind towards Anchorage. Pilot said looks like they were chowing down on a dog.(Please pass the pepper spray.)

I was wondering if the reason that these critters are becoming so bold is that they have inter bred with domesticated dogs??? No one seems interested in that angle. It was just a few years ago that the State outlawed owning wolf hybrids and some of them were *turned loose* as opposed to being put down. Food for thought anyway...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Anyone know the weapon restrictions are on the remainder or 14c If you look at the reg map there is a small sliver that runs from Chugiak all the way to Eklutna. My house happens to fall into this area from looking at the map. Looking at the regs it doesnít say there are any restrictions on what can be used to kill wolves in the remainder of 14c it just says 5 wolves. My question is if I have a wolf come through my yard causing no problems can I kill it. I have a hunting and trapping licenses

Default Wolves

The last I checked, wolf pelts were earning betweening $200-$300 each.
    I do not see what the issue is!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    The last I checked, wolf pelts were earning betweening $200-$300 each.
    I do not see what the issue is!
    My issue is I still Live in the muni of ANC. So would i get in trouble for shooting a wolf in my back yard...

how close are your neighbors. If within 1000' (I think) then yes you could get in trouble. I might say it was "attacking your dog"... You would lose the wolf hide in a DLP but probably not your weapon.

Angry

The wolves are the least of our problems in the Anchorage area. Put down the gun and go back to the computer.

Default Elmendorf Wolves...

It seems ironic to me that we Alaskans revel in living on the edge of wilderness, and yet we get so upset when the wild critters come calling. The wolves are reacting to the low snowfall and going after easier game. It doesn't necessarily mean they are habituated to humans. This pack has been around for a relatively long time, without incident until now. Keep your dogs on a leash, stay out of Fort Rich/Beach Lake with your dog, and pack your pepper spray. This isn't the medieval Black Forest, and they aren't coming in the house. If it is appropriate to control the population, F&G will open a season, until then, keep the guns in the cabinet, boys. I'm not against predator control, but lets not go getting all vigilante over this.

Pepper spray my ass have you not read the article in ADN the 3 ladies that were walking there dogs had pepper spray and it didnít have any impact on the wolves. 300 grains of lead sounds better.

Is this the hunting forum or the Tree huggin bunny loven forum?

Default good morning

Quote Originally Posted by winkhink View Post
    Or it might be national attention to help the preadator hunts and show a need for them.
    Wake up now! You were having a terrible dream. CNN was showing news in support of hunting.
    Okay you can go back to sleep now.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Pepper spray my ass have you not read the article in ADN the 3 ladies that were walking there dogs had pepper spray and it didnít have any impact on the wolves. 300 grains of lead sounds better.

Is this the hunting forum or the Tree huggin bunny loven forum?
    Are they sure they hit the wolves with the spray??? Use some bear spray on em... they'll feel that!

Default Proposed trapping restriction comment

The proposed trapping restrictions for parts of chugach state park are being guised as public safety concerns. The cheif of operations of the park considers dogs family members and part of the public. Therefore we shouldn't be talking about further trapping restrictions, instead we should be discussing the opening of wolf trapping in the park in the interest of public safety. Please send public comment to dnr.parkregs@alaska.gov
    The park is trying to manage fish and game the only way they can, by restriction of area.

I have shot two dogs, one inside the city of Anchorage, the other in Eagle River. No problem with the police either time. Both times were in self defense. So I don't think killing a wolf inside the city would be a big deal, just as long as it is self defense.

As for the pepper spray, it works, if you spray the animal in the face. The lady said she was rainbowing the pepper spray, what ever that means. That tells me she did not spray the wolves with it. That's why it did not work, she did not use it against them. Appearantly she just fogged the air in front of her and they just went around the cloud.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty_dog View Post
    Are they sure they hit the wolves with the spray??? Use some bear spray on em... they'll feel that!
    The girl said she "rainbowed" it at them...Guess she couldn't "reed" the label! I would think bear spray would be a better deteret but not quite as effective as an exteded cap 40 cal

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The girl said she "rainbowed" it at them...Guess she couldn't "reed" the label! I would think bear spray would be a better deteret but not quite as effective as an exteded cap 40 cal
    I have a question how long does bear spray last after you put it on?

Why is it every time a hunter suggests that maybe we should show some restraint in killing animals, they get accused of being a bunny lovin tree hugger? I seem to recall that I said I was not opposed to predator control. I only suggested that we shouldn't just act like vigilantes! To quote a noted Alaskan hunting author - If you just want to kill things, go to the dump and shoot rats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast