View Poll Results: Current price of the Non-resident hunting license is $85. How much should it be?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than $200

28 22.95%
  • $200

16 13.11%
  • $150

16 13.11%
  • $100

12 9.84%
  • keep it at $85

45 36.89%
  • Lower it to $50

5 4.10%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-resident licenses cost. Poll

Default Non-resident licenses cost. Poll

Non-resident licenses cost poll.

A lot of talk about the price of the Non-resident licenses and tags. So how much should they be?

Default 2 poles

would have been interesting to have two poles: one for residents and one for nonresidents!!

There's very little they can actually hunt without tags so I voted to leave it.

Default come on

i agree...resident...non resident...would have been interesting.....but come on.....they are basically paying 85 dollars for the privelege to buy a tag that is atleast 285 dollars...i mean if some one wants to come up here to hunt squirrels or spruce hens...i think stabbing them for 85 bucks is enough...not all states require a license to buy a tag...some states the license is the tag or whatever...ussually those states the price of one license/tag is greater than 85 dollars...i think if you started asking hundreds of dollars for the PRIVELEGE to buy a tag then you might see a decline in the number of hunters....i'm sure that there is a number of people(non residents) that only purchase a tag to apply for drawing hunts...if you charge alot of money for just the license the i think that those people may choose not to even bother...i'm sure the state appreciates the money they get from that every year and would prefer not to jeopardize that...if you really wanted to stick em...the sneeky way would be to increase the price of the tag...slowly...every couple of years
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default We give them Away!

If you do a bit of price comparison shopping you will find we just give our Sheep tags away. It really is sad. Lower 48 NR liscenes are 3-5 times that price.

"i mean if some one wants to come up here to hunt squirrels or spruce hens"

and just how many people do you think come all the way to Alaska JUST TO HUNT SQUIRRELS OR SPRUCE HENS???
    really.....how many? I apply to all of the lower 48 states for NR sheep tags and usually have to purchase a nonrefundable state hunting license which in comparison makes Alaska's fee for NR a really good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    If you do a bit of price comparison shopping you will find we just give our Sheep tags away. It really is sad. Lower 48 NR liscenes are 3-5 times that price.
    Yes, but they do not support the population of sheep that AK does. Also I do no believe very many of the lower 48 requires a NR to hire a guide.
    It's also very easy to become conceited and think everybody wants to hunt Alaska and is willing to pay whatever it takes for the chance. I'm seeing a trend in the lower 48 of " I would love to hunt Alaska, but for less money I can hunt Africa and have a better chance of connecting with game and will be treated like royalty ( in most cases ).
    If raising money is an issue have one or two tags in a choice area up for auction. That way if Mr. Moneybags wants to hunt at any cost, he (or she) can.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    "i mean if some one wants to come up here to hunt squirrels or spruce hens"

and just how many people do you think come all the way to Alaska JUST TO HUNT SQUIRRELS OR SPRUCE HENS???
    really.....how many? I apply to all of the lower 48 states for NR sheep tags and usually have to purchase a nonrefundable state hunting license which in comparison makes Alaska's fee for NR a really good deal.
    I know more than a couple of people that do just that. They come up to visit friends and/or family and go hunt ducks, rabbits, fox etc. Not everyone that visits is made of money or have the desire or means to hunt sheep, moose etc. They want to spend time with people they care about doing an activity( in this case hunting) they care about

I have friends that come to visit from out of state and go on moose hunts with me. They don't buy a moose tag and are just there for the experience. For a reasonable fee they also get to have a shot at bustin some rabbits, ptarmigan, and grouse. I think $100 is a fair price for that opportunity but no more than that in todays $$$.

typical fees in Idaho are $242 nr (big game/small game) for license and an additional 372 for elk tag plus 188 for deer tag. I think our fees are to low.....

Idaho does not require non residents to hire a guide @ 10,000+, plus trophy fees if hunting on Native lands etc. Reasonable license and tag fees should be in order, not the "their rich tourists, they can afford it" attitude. Besides if the NR hunters feel nickle and dimed you stand a good chance at loosing them and once the ADFG (or any arm of the government) gets a taste of more money there will be no stopping it. If the number of NR hunters drops to the point the fish and game coffers feels it, stand by, the residents will end up with much higher fees.
    The people should be careful recommending higher taxes (fees) you stand a more than good chance of it backfiring.

Guys small game (bunnies, grouse, ptarmigan) non-res hunting licenses are $20 not $85 so I dont know why that comparison is being made.

Having to have a license to apply for permits. I think we should raise the price to 500.00 then more Alaskans will draw tags.

Talking Cost

I was thinking 07 was up for a tag hike, but I guess I lucked out.

425 for a sheep tag is a decent deal considering the guide requirement, and the high cost of getting there. I was hearing the sheep tags would be raised to around 700 bones. I still think that is ok even with the guide requirement.

Most guys are booked out 1-3 years, so they will have to pony up if the license and tag fees go up. I am sure its just a matter of time.

I have a feeling sheep hunting is going to get real pricey in the next couple of years for the non residents. Guys that have passion to do it once will somehow make it happen.

If I do it again, I will have to win the lottery!

Quote Originally Posted by guns68 View Post
    Idaho does not require non residents to hire a guide @ 10,000+, plus trophy fees if hunting on Native lands etc. Reasonable license and tag fees should be in order, not the "their rich tourists, they can afford it" attitude. Besides if the NR hunters feel nickle and dimed you stand a good chance at loosing them and once the ADFG (or any arm of the government) gets a taste of more money there will be no stopping it. If the number of NR hunters drops to the point the fish and game coffers feels it, stand by, the residents will end up with much higher fees.
    The people should be careful recommending higher taxes (fees) you stand a more than good chance of it backfiring.
    I wouldn't say that there isn't a price that would make hunting AK too expensive however the current pricing is not in line with national averages. We don't need to run the bill up to a rediculous level but we have a highly sought after resource that people WILL pay for. Less non resident hunter opportunity but more nonresident $$$ sounds like a win-win for the sheep, ADF&G, and the AK residents!! Personally I would love to see the whole cost of non-resident tags raised ~225% and hope that it would cut the non-res ungulate hunters in half. It wouldn't effect the number of bear hunters one bit they would still sell every tag for kodiak and the alaska pen this is the only place on earth you can get bears that big period its supply and demand! Don't believe me go price a new 4x4 truck $40K+, are they worth it? Probably not but they sell!

Default small game

if they want to shoot squrriels or fox non res need the $85 dollar license......i wouldn't mind if the state charged a little more for non resident tags and license...but is there anyway to make sure that the money spent on license and tags are actually going back into state via conservation efforts or other methods that helps out the quality of our outdoor experinces.....if they could gurantee that then i wouldn't mind paying a few more dollars for my resident license.....after all you can't really say i want to go kill a sheep every year or i want to go kill a moose every year or kill a bear every year....but i'm only going to pay so much
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Consider this...

Alaska has been behind "reality" when dealing with the cost of licenses and tags.. Nonresidents should have increased prices in licenses and tags for the fact that we have a resource that needs management and protection.. and in order to do this, will require to have an increase in funds. This is looong time overdue and lacking.

I have looked into other States that have Sheep, goats, moose, elk, and the like, so why can't we mirror the same?.. I consider 85 dollars compared to 145.00- 199.00 that I see for other States for a nonresident license to be unfair to the conservation efforts of this great State.

Tags in Montana are 755.00 each for sheep and in Utah 1443.00 (subtract 70 for seasonal fishing) is what it cost for moose, sheep, and goats.

You want to see some real crazy prices.. In Colorado a nonresident tag for sheep is 1716.00, goat 1716.00, and moose 1716.00... A nonresident tag in Wyoming that wants to hunt a goat is 2152.00, moose 1402.00, elk 577.00, Bison 2502.00 and sheep 2252.00, I don't think that these prices keeps people away.

I think that it's time to make some changes...

Keep the license at $85.00 but raise the tag fees.

What you failed to mention is how much higher the resident tags are in wyoming also. that moose tag that is $1402 for a non res cost a res $112 i dont feel like listing them all off but here we dont pay any more than $25 for a hunting licence to get a moose. I just think if everybody it going to try to relate to other states they should look at it both ways.

Default Not polled...

rlcofmn..

I believe the thread stated for the price of a nonresident licenses and tags and how much should they be?.. hense the reasoning of not going into why or what needs to be addressed for residents but I'm sure that is coming soon and I have numbers for those as well.

This should be considered for nonresidents..

Muskox 1500.00
    Bison 1100.00
    Sheep 800.00
    Brown Bear 700.00
    Moose 600.00
    Goat 500.00
    Elk 425.00
    Caribou 425.00
    Black Bear 350.00
    Wolverine 300.00
    Deer 275.00
    Wolf 100.00