Thread: Ricochet...

Default Ricochet...

Always know what your shooting at AND know what can happen when you hit it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ABGI...eature=related

**** the luck!

reminds me of the guy last summer shooting a sub gun on the 50m min distance range at Birchwood...at 25 yds. His rounds were pounding into the ground at 25 yds, not the berm at 50m. Who knows where they were going!??

He got a case of the ass because I had the temerity to politely, mind you, ask him to please move his target to the berm and comply with the range rules..

If you have ever seen tracers at night, coming or going, they go everywhere after impact...

...Not that I have not done some dumb things with firearms
    (I have)...mostly when I get complacent on the simple rules we all must follow. I suggest the we also have a responsibility to police ourselves, other shooting places go away.

We were shooting at the little sue many years ago just messing around shooting a log sticking up from the water and a couple time you could hear the 22lr rounds ricochet off into the woods. We were quite a ways out but about 15 minutes later a group of rafters comes floating by. It kind of made me uneasy knowing that the rivers up here have alot of bends and we could have been "skipping" rounds in the direction of people. I don't shoot much into water now unless I have an obvious backstop like a cut bank.
    allen-ak I have seen them both going and comming and I will tell you there are some significant advantages to the going over the comming! Sitting outside my tin trailer in the desert with a buddy from work when a streak of light wips overhead she points at it an says did you see that "shooting star" I could here the engagement about a half mile away but didn't see a reason to correct her. I did scoot a little further back into the sandbags to finish my smoke though.

Once long ago some guys upriver 100 yards or so from us started throwing beer bottles into the current and would shoot at them with 22 handguns as they floated downstream. Yup, even as they reached us and passed beyond. Their shots were hitting in front of us, but not passing more than 20 feet past us. They laughed and kept doing it when I objected.

Soooo, I got a 375 H&H out of my truck and started whapping their bottles the moment they threw them in the water. They didn't think it was fun any more and left.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have told this story a number of times over the years, and not so much as evidence of my own stupidity and ignorance in my younger days, but more to inform those that may not know, what can happen when shooting if you are careless. A buddy and I were out walking about the desert and came across an old abandoned junk car that was already completely full of bullet holes. I had a new AMT Auto Mag in 30 carbine, and told my buddy, “hey, I wonder if this thing could put a hole in an engine block?” So from about 15 feet, I lined up and let one fly………..Kapow! the jacket from that 110gr rn came back and hit me square between the eyes just above the bridge of my nose with enough force to break the skin and get me bleeding like a stuck pig! Needless to say, it scared the hell out of me and my friend, who was at first convinced that I had been shot in the brain and simply stood there, mouth agape, waiting for me to tip over dead. It goes without saying that we both learned a very valuable safety lesson that day, and have not repeated that kind of foolishness. On two other occasions, both at indoor shooting ranges, I have seen jackets bounce back from the back stop and hit shooters. The first time, it was the guy shooting from the station to my left and he was shooting some jacketed flat nose bullets out of his 44 mag and one of them bounced back and hit me………….yep, you guessed it, right between the eyes! Thankfully I had safety glasses on, but as before, it hit me just above the bridge of the nose and set my forehead to bleeding! Perhaps I have some sort of special magnet in my skull??!! I of course, having experienced this sort of thing before, knew exactly what had happened, but the other shooter, whom I did not know, assumed as my friend from years early had, that the entire bullet had ricocheted back and lodged into my brain! All I can figure is that I must make one heck of a facial expression or something that leads these guys to the idea that I am a certain goner! So, as many of you no doubt know, pure lead or FMJ is the ONLY bullet that should be fired at an indoor range. As I can attest, jackets can and do separate from the core and bounce back in the direction from whence they came!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Luck

Back when I was a kid hunting in Wisconsin(I don't remember what year except it that was in the 90's), I saw on the nightly news where a guy was hunting and another hunter fired and the bullet riccoched off of a rock and hit him in the throat and lodged in his windpipe. He was able to cough it out and then went to the hospital where they sewed his throat shut and told him he would be fine. I've looked for this on the Net and can't find any mention of it.

Default Holy Crap!!!!

WOW......That was more than luck!

That guy had a Guardian Angel with him that day.

Just think of the energy behind that bullet to travel to target, hit, make a dead stop and return to slap him silly.

Makes me realize why I love the 50 BMG

my cuz set up a target and shot it with ball ammo from his mosin nagant. The bullet passed through the target hit an unnoticed steel beam in the pile of junk used as a backstop. The bullet then reversed course passed back through the target and into my cousin. The round found its way fairly deep into his calf which is actually lucky as he was squating to take the shot and had he had his leg forward a couple of inches it would have hit him in a much more sensative region. I enjoy the occasional joke at his expense cause after almost 28 years growing up hunting in AK HE is still the largest mammal he has shot and it was only a flesh wound!

Default oh my

Lujon, I am laughing so hard my wife came in to check on me. What a priceless quote on your cousin. Not laughing cause he got hurt, just the irony of his big game luck.

My younger cousin lost an eye a few years ago. They were out goofing around with the .22 and decided to use a Rubbermaid trash can as a target. Well if you didn't guess, the trash can was what caused the ricochet and he now has a glass eye.