Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Hunt '08

Default Bear Hunt '08

Hello everyone!
    I am new to the forum and I'm excited to be a part! I have a quick question. I am an outfitter out west but I also host a television show. I am looking for a guided bear hunt this spring. My dream would be to spot and stalk one with a recurve and capture it all on film, but I do understand the inherent dangers involved. Are there any recommendations out there with regards to areas or outfitters? Thanks in advance for any help!

Rick

Default BEar hunt

We have a guide on this forum that goes by BRWNBR. I have read his stuff for a while and looked at some of his pics. Like any Alaskan Guide he has strong opinions. That is a good thing. Chances are if you book with him you will hunt with him. Not always the story with the bigger outfits. Anyway he sounds like an ethical, hard working guide that loves what he is doing and knows his stuff. A spring bear hunt with the bow you described would be quite an achievment. I would think a fall salmon stream would increase your chances. Give him a call and go get one!

Default what bear?

Black or brown?

Default Filmed bow hunt

You might check with Tom Keirstien from Fairbanks He has had a lot of experience with film crews and archers. His guide area is Deaman Bay On Kodiak. I think the current archery record is from a client of his. He is a first rate guy with a top notch record but probably booked way ahead

if brown bear check with Carl Brent in Wasilla. he is a bowhunter, so he would know what is needed for a bowhunt. his guide area is on Kodiak. He guided a friend of mine and they got a B & C 10'3" brownie
    Kodiak is all Drawing permits and application time closed about 3 weeks ago.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    We have a guide on this forum that goes by BRWNBR. I have read his stuff for a while and looked at some of his pics. Like any Alaskan Guide he has strong opinions. That is a good thing. Chances are if you book with him you will hunt with him. Not always the story with the bigger outfits. Anyway he sounds like an ethical, hard working guide that loves what he is doing and knows his stuff. A spring bear hunt with the bow you described would be quite an achievment. I would think a fall salmon stream would increase your chances. Give him a call and go get one!
    I'll 2nd the good words for Jake (BRNBR).

Here's his website.

http://www.blackriverhunting.com
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Thumbs up

I'll 3rd the good words on BRWNBR, never hunted with him but have met him and have had some dealings with him and is an upstanding guy. Check out 07 hunting photos on this site and view his 10-6 bear his client got this fall.

kingfisherktn

Default why?

first of all I'm not an anti ,bunny hugger. but what I dont understand is why you would want to kill a griz. I lived in the interior for many years and killed one.you cant eat the meat unless your a billy goat so my question is why

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    first of all I'm not an anti ,bunny hugger. but what I dont understand is why you would want to kill a griz.
    I can't answer the question for the gentleman who posted this, but for me I will target grizzlies as a means to help ungulate populations. I do not for a moment think that we need to drastically reduce bear populations in most areas, but a healthy, sustained harvest of bears goes a long way towards increasing moose calf survival rates. Taking a grizzly now and then is a small way of helping the other animal populations. We can't continue to harvest the prey species without also keeping predator populations in check.

first of all I'm not an anti ,bunny hugger. but what I dont understand is why you would want to kill a griz. I lived in the interior for many years and killed one.you cant eat the meat unless your a billy goat so my question is why
    What Brain said, and......it's fun, especially with a bow.

I'll also lend a word of support to Jake (BRWNBR) for a potential guided bear hunt. He does all of the guiding himself, so you'll be hunting with the owner/operator instead of an assitant guide, and he knows his areas intimately well. Additionally, he is a man of integrity and will absolutely follow through on a quality hunt that you work out with him.

Default relax

you don't even know if he's hunting griz or black bear yet.

Because it's fun? Nothing better than bear hunting.

Which Outdoors Show do you Host?

Smile Why kill a grizzly / brown bear?

Here are a few reasons to kill brown / grizzly bears:

1) what else are you going to do with 540 grain Hammerheads for a .45-70?
    2) to revenge the death of Timmy Treadwell and his girlfriend.
    3) because my taxidermist smiles when I visit him with a new brown bear hide
    4) they look neat hanging on a wall
    5) they look neat laying on the floor
    6) they look neat mounted full-body, looking all natural-like
    7) they practically line up to be shot if you hunt near the right salmon stream
    8) we don't have turkey hunting in April / May, so brown bear is the next best thing
    9) we don't have a pheasant season in the fall, so brown bear is the next best thing
    10) because we don't have to pack out the meat
    11) they eat moose
    12) I eat moose, and sometimes they eat the moose I want to eat.
    13) because there's a hunting season for them

Shall I go on?...

Taylor

yup - pretty much all of those reasons!

Default funny

gees marc, that's good. funny stuff I like it. Now to memorize that and to tell my friends that. I'm going to try my luck in Cortucky...ahem...Cordova this spring . I apologize to all the Cortuckian...dang it...I mean Cordovians.
    If you hear someone yelling, "...AND THAT'S FOR TIMMY TREADWELL!" that will be me with one.

Default mr.taylor

I think I saw you in a little school bus licking the back window. as for little Timmy he was doing the same thing

Default Umm....

Dude - Why are you questioning someone else's reasons for killing an animal you admit you have killed?

Well, it looks like this discussion is kind of pointless since the OP hasn't been back after nearly a week.
    He must be really serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast