Thread: Placer river float

Default Placer river float

I am looking for info on taking the train to the Spencer Glacier and floating the Placer river. I will be using my own raft and do not know how far it is from the tracks to the Spencer lake/Glacier. I know there are raft guides that do this float but am not interested in their services. What about transporting my raft on the train? Do I need to deflate it or can I take it inflated! Just looking for another float to do next summer. I live on the Kenai and the number of rivers are limited.

Hi John, I sent you a pm

Default Spencer Glaicer

I'm also interested in seeing the area and floating out. Every time I try to contact the RR about this I kinda get the brush off. I suspected that they only cater to the guides. But would like to know for sure.

Scott

I do a fair amount of research back in there and use the train as transport to the upper crossing. Currently, I think this service is for forest service and guide personel only, though I believe there are plans to open it to the public in the next couple of years. If you can talk the RR into giving you a lift, you'll still need to find a way to get your gear up to the lake. There is a road from the train to the lake, but it would be a very long walk with all your gear (we use one of the guides trucks). Generally, they require you to have the rafts deflated and packed before they can be loaded into the train. This is a pretty nice float if you can arrainge it; we do it once or twice a week every week in the spring and fall. Depending on the work were doing, the float can take anywhere from a long day to several. Hope this helps, James

Default Research?

James, what kind of research do you do up there? Sounds like the job I need.
    Need any help?
    Scott