Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Beach Lake Fishing/Ice Report

  1. #1

    Default Beach Lake Fishing/Ice Report

    Went to Beach Lake by Eagle River today. Fished for 2 hours with 4 lines in the water. Wife caught a nice 4 lb rainbow, but other than that not a bite. Ice was about 12" thick. Fun to cut the four holes with the hand auger. Doesn't look like many people have been fishing there. Might try the valley lakes in a few days.

    After talking with a few people sounds like the big rainbow was a fluke. A guy I spoke with tonight said he has done a lot of fishing there in a float tube and never caught anything of that size. Want to make sure folks don't think this is a the place for big fish from my post.

  2. #2

    Default

    I used to fish Beach Lake with my friends during lunch break when we went to CHS. Then we would fish the lake after school. In the spring I would run down to the lake after class and check to see if the ice had gone out, that's how much I loved to fish this lake. I've tubed, canoed, and fished from the shore for about 10 years now. I'd even stay out past hours. I've seen fish in this range many times, but I would only catch them in a weeks span each year. I've never caught anything but fingerling stockers through the ice though. I think these are either longevity stockers or the closest thing to a wild rainbow this lake will ever see. You caught yourself a trophy bow by beach lake standards, that's for sure.

  3. #3
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    Rumor was that they dropped the brood stock in there (and a couple other places) from the hatchery a few years back. One bite should tell you.

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, Alaska
    Posts
    44

    Default Beach Lake

    I have fished there for 21 years now and have seen many very nice rainbows taken. The biggest I have taken was 22 inches and numerous 18 - 20 inchers. Also these were all wild stock ( no cut fins or markings ). I have only taken fish like this at the begining of the ice fishing season and never in the summer. Only small stockers and grayling in spring and summer. I have also taken fish like this on Mirror lake but they were for sure spawning stock from adfg. The biggest being a 24 inch hen that we threw back and an 18inch male also released.

  5. #5
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    no way you caught wild fish in there, theres nowhere for them to spawn and it winterkills a lot. Perhaps they were stocked as fingerlings, fish stocked as fingerlings don't show much fin wear.

    Great little lake though, back in my days of being a kid I spent many an evenings on it... A bit to take for my liking anymore.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  6. #6
    Member Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    no way you caught wild fish in there, theres nowhere for them to spawn and it winterkills a lot. Perhaps they were stocked as fingerlings, fish stocked as fingerlings don't show much fin wear.

    Great little lake though, back in my days of being a kid I spent many an evenings on it... A bit to take for my liking anymore.
    What are you the Know it all of the board?

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    493

    Default

    UHHHH,,,,,,,,,Yes he is and you call him sir.

  8. #8

    Default

    I've caught spawning rainbows in this lake. Why do you say there is no where for them to spawn? There's plenty!

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    493

    Default

    AHEM......are you questioning Sir Knowitall? How dare thee

  10. #10
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I've caught spawning rainbows in this lake. Why do you say there is no where for them to spawn? There's plenty!
    you may have caught spawning rainbows but their eggs all died, rainbow trout like all Oncorhynchus (except a few sockeye which have been documented successfully spawning in a few springs in illiamna lake) cannot successfully spawn in still water, there are no inlets or outlets in beach lake therefore they cannot spawn. By that I suppose I mean they cannot actually produce more trout they definately will pair up an lay eggs (especially at the boat laung where its the only gravel bottom in the entire lake) but those eggs will die very quickly.

    I don't know everything, just pretty much everything about trout, salmon and the lake I fished most in my life.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  11. #11
    Member MNViking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    ...you may have caught spawning rainbows but their eggs all died, rainbow trout like all Oncorhynchus (except a few sockeye which have been documented successfully spawning in a few springs in illiamna lake) cannot successfully spawn in still water, there are no inlets or outlets in beach lake therefore they cannot spawn. By that I suppose I mean they cannot actually produce more trout they definately will pair up an lay eggs (especially at the boat laung where its the only gravel bottom in the entire lake) but those eggs will die very quickly...
    Very interesting. I have a lot to learn about trout when I get to AK. We don't really have them where I grew up.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

  12. #12

    Default

    Know you got it right, but there is also a gravel bottom on the north side of the lake. Beach Lake does have somewhat of an outlet, but the channel of water that I can jump across is stretching the outlet terminology.

  13. #13
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Yeah,and theres salmon that run up the channel that in flows out to

  14. #14

    Default

    SHHHHH!!!!

    Don't go around spreading my secret salmon spot. It's mine and mine only.

  15. #15
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    are you talking about fire creek? Cause salmon run up that (kings and silvers) but its closed to fishing, the saltwater of knik arm though...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    493

    Default

    I was on the backside near the inlet looking for ducks years ago.It was kind of neat watching the beluga come up the slough ,I guess they were chasing salmon.You could see the Veees in the water from the salmon passing by.

  17. #17
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    I was on the backside near the inlet looking for ducks years ago.It was kind of neat watching the beluga come up the slough ,I guess they were chasing salmon.You could see the Veees in the water from the salmon passing by.
    thats pretty freaking awesome!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •