Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat?

Default Meat?

I have used Alaska Sausage and Seafood and Idian Valley before but I am trying to find out if there is another reputable processer in the anchorage area. I like Alaska Sausage but would like to get some differnt products made that they don't offer and I was not real happy with Indain valleys final product both times I have used them. Any Suggestions?

There's Mike's Meats over in Eagle River. I used them a number of years ago to process a black bear and they were pretty good. 10th and M Seafoods over on Muldoon is suppose to process game but I've never used them. I usually use Alaska Sausage and Seafood and love their polish sausage. There was a discussin over on the Pristineventures webb site awhile ago on who not to use if you're curious.

Default Mat-Valley meats

on the Palmer-Wasilla hwy. by the school bus storage area (about 1/2 way between Palmer and Wasilla). Not sure what special processing you are looking for, but they do great work.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default do it yourself

How many of you guys and gals out there are doing your own meat? are you doing the whole shibang(sausages,hot dogs, jerky ect)? Is it difficult to get your recipes coming out good everytime?

Default Mat-su Meat

I looked into archives on this subject and have read horror stories about Mat-Su and others and then you read other comments about how they are great. I just want to get good consistency for my food every year and I cringe at the idea of not getting only my meat back. I am thinking about going homemade but having a hard time convincing myself just because the money setup and the fear that I will not be able to do it as good.

Default Process your meat

The first thing I suggest is learn to cut and wrap your own meat. Save the trimmings for your sausage, brats, etc.. Bring those to a processor that you are convinced they do only your meat and not everyone elses. After a couple of years of cutting your own meat, then move into making your sausage, brats, etc.. You but the equipment once and it should last a life time. Plus you get the satisfaction of processing the animal yourself. I wait til after the season calms down, Xmas or later and bring in the trimmings.

Default In the Valley...

Mat-Valley meats was sold several months ago. I don't know anything about the new owners, but it may be worth a look-see.

Also, Pioneer Meats at mile 49 of the Parks does a very nice job. I have used them several times in the past and I would use them again.

Steve

Only sent meat out once. Mikes in Eagle River. he guaranteed your own meat back if you met the minimum weight. They picked it up at the airport, and delivered it back when done( I sent the meat from a village). I was very satisfied withthe end product.
    Tried making sausage 2 years ago. Won't be trying it again I think. I'll pay Mike's the money in the future.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default as far as making your own

I agree that it is worth it to butcher your own critters. We bought a good grinder from a butcher supply store and do all of our own burger. We also have taken to buying packages of spice for breakfast sausage and love it. Maybe one day we'll start making our own hunter sausage etc. but for the time being am comfortable having that done. Learning to do it yourself has been fun and you gradually get the hankerin' do take it a step further.

-Carnivore

You can save a lot of money buchering your own, if your just doing the basics, but jerky, hunter's sticks, and sausage... takes a lot of time to do it right. If you're like me, time is hard to come by to hunt, let alone processing your own game. But if you do have the time it's great, I really enjoy processing and smoking my own meats.

Default Kitchenaid

Has anyone ever used the kitchen Aid meat grinder attachment? How did it work? my brother just gave one to me last night.

Default it works

It does work, just be sure you cut your meat into small chunks and then freeze them. I then take the frozen chunks put them in the fridge for a day then grind. the meat is semi frozen this way and goes through the grinder better. I used my kitchen aid for a year until I bought a new grinder. The only difference from the kitchen aid grinder to the one I have now is I can put ALOT more meat through this one faster. With the kitchen aid also be sure you take out ALL the silver skin that may be on the meats.

Default New management

Quote Originally Posted by jnalaska
    I looked into archives on this subject and have read horror stories about Mat-Su and others and then you read other comments about how they are great. I just want to get good consistency for my food every year and I cringe at the idea of not getting only my meat back. I am thinking about going homemade but having a hard time convincing myself just because the money setup and the fear that I will not be able to do it as good.
    The business is under new management within the last year. I know the owner/butcher and he does a great job. Under the previous management I only had them grind burger on a couple of occasions which is pretty hard to mess up. )
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

My girlfriend's mom owns Pioneer Meats in the valley and she does an awesome job. Turn around time is pretty good considering how busy she gets in the fall. And you get your own meat back . . .

Default meat...

I haven't had any problems with my kitchenaid grinder & sausage stuffer. I have the big kitchenaid, which probably makes a difference when doing bulk. Did all my moose trimmings last year in no time.

If you just grind the game, semi-freezing it (as previously suggested) works great. If you mix it with fat (I use fatty chuck roast to get about 12% fat content for burger) it won't blend as well frozen but chill it thouroughly in the fridge before grinding. I grind everything separate using the course disk, and then blend it when I move to the fine disk.

I used to do my own venison sausage, but I was so exhausted after butchering my first moose last year I decided to try one of the local smokehouses. It was described as "the best in town" by most people I asked. Boy oh boy, is it terrible!! Granted I'm of german descent and therefore rather picky about sausage, but this stuff is just awful. Both texture and taste. So, back to making my own I guess.

Lots 'o recipes on the internet for just about any sausage you want, and you can modify them to suit your tastes. Do small batches until you find the recipe you like. You will want to pay close attention to the stuffing instructions for each sausage, as some are hard and some are loose pack.

The rejects are still tasty, so experimenting has it's benefits. :-)

Default stuffer

Hey cheeser if you want to make it go a little bit easier buy a stuffer so you are not stuffing through the grinder. When I use to work in a butcher shop we used stuffers all the time. The first time I butchered on my own I used the stuffer that came with the grinder, it works TERRIBLE compared to a hand crank stuffer, it is money well spent and cuts the stuffing time WAY down.

Thumbs up Pioneer Meats

I know it was mentioned twice, but I have to add a BIG YOU BET for Pioneer Meats. I have used them for three years now, and wouldn't use anyone else. They have a huge menu of options, the turn around is fast, and the quality is outstanding. I highly recomend the Pioneer Slims. I have had several people say they are the best hunter type sticks they have ever had.

Default stuffers...

I've always wanted to try a stuffer. Do you prefer the motorized, crank or level style? I always thought the lever would be easier to use but the crank would be more consistent.

My grandparents had one of those huge cast iron barrel crank models with the tin nozzles. It made the ugliest sausage but was a blast to use.

Default hand crank

I prefer the hand crank ones that you find at www.sausagemaker.com or at cabelas. They do make for the best consistency I have found, but I learned on them so I am probably biased.

Default Kitchen Aide

Bought my wife the largest kitchen Aide model available, (rated by motor size) and we have ground many moose, caribou and deer w/it for years. Absolutely great. We don't chill the meat as it has not been a problem. The bonus is that it serves as a kitchen appliance 11 months out of the year w/out having a large investment of a grinder sitting in the closet. I agree it is a bit slower than a true meat grinder w/a larger throat, but it does a great job.
    BK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast