Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking Of Making/Marketing My Own Gun Oil

Default Thinking Of Making/Marketing My Own Gun Oil

Tired of paying for oil that dries up gunky, smells bad, and doesn't really afford any long-term corrosion protection. Also needs to be fluid at llllooowww temperatures. Last week here it was -22* F and I tried a couple of commercial preparations and they moved like cold honey. So I am going to make my own.

Criteria:
    Low-odor
    Fluid at low temps
    Actually will clean the bore (not for copper removal though)
    Won't rot my brain, liver, kidneys, ect.
    Will lubricate and coat the metal for corrosion protection

The overall purpose and direction will be for the outdoorsman/woman who needs to clean the firearm after being in the field but who does not want to spend lots of time doing so. Quick, convenient, and effective.
    Then I have to sell it.

I have already been through the testing stages for quite a few of my recipes, and have hit on what I think will be a good compound. Two solutions are cooling outside on my steps right now. It is only +6* F. I wish it were much colder so I could see how they look once chilled. I think I will toss the containers into my freezer overnight and see how they look in the morning.

Sooooo....any thoughts?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Low Temp Gun Cleaner / Oil

I remember someone trying something like this some time ago. I think he called it Mike's Red or such. I may have the formula around somewhere.

The base of course was automatic transmission fluid (ATF). ATF is good down to -40 or better, does not gum, has enough detergents to keep the metal clean, corrision inhibitors, good lubrication, high temperature stability, etc. - a pretty neat product for gun use as-is. If I recall in Mike's formulation he added acetone, lanolin (from sheeps wool), and perhaps a few other odds and ends.

Synthetic motor oil also works well as it has good temperature stability and does not gun up or break down. I think the new ATF products have some synthetic products in them already.

I've used ATF and the synthetic motors oils seperately for some time with good sucess. I need to try the Mercon V ATF as it is a synthetic blend already. I've also used some of the synethic EP greases for high wear points like the cocking cams etc.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Nitroman:

Lemme know when you get your formula perfected.

I'd like to buy some, and try it.

Thanks

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks Smitty, just PM me your address and I will send you a sample.

I have all the chemicals to put together a batch, but I am torn with angst right now. I want this to be used. I believe I am going to be doing quite a bit of education in the Delta to convince people that five minutes preventative maintanence can make their guns become hand-me-downs. In order to do this, the product must be easy to use and effective. I can put solvents into the product that'll make the junk in the bore virtually fly out, but then the product begins to be less easily used. Most people will wipe down the gun or run the patch through the bore on the kitchen table or floor. If everyone in the house gets dizzy, that will be the first and last use. So this is what I am trying to work out, a balance between quick and effective (but not completely thorough), cleaning and long-term protection from water spray, fingerprints and the resulting rust. Man this is just tearing me up.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Question Not to rain on your parade...

What is wrong with WD-40? It has never let me down and I love the smell, personally.

I read your a chemist...I think you should work on a scent that makes big bulls come and lick the end of my barrel. (Criteria: Bulls can be no smaller than 60"!)

Good luck....I hope you come up with something better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    So this is what I am trying to work out, a balance between quick and effective (but not completely thorough), cleaning and long-term protection from water spray, fingerprints and the resulting rust. Man this is just tearing me up.

Make multiple products, one for the kitchen cleaner guy, and one for the well ventilated shop cleaner guy. I'd buy one of each, and I'd pay 50% more for the stronger solution.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I am doing some testing of commercial AR-15 products for some of the vendors on AR15.com right now. I have a fella sending me one of his triggers this week... He also included a bottle of lube that is supposed to work in -40 degrees. I don't know what it is, so we'll see when I get the bottle!

- Clint

Default Anyone else ever use ATF?

Anyone besides myself ever use automatic transmission fluid on their guns?

Its a great general cleaner, lubricant good to -40 or below, corrosion / rust inhibitor, water repellant, little odor, and cost about $2.00 a quart or so. What you don't need you can pour in your car assuming you have the right kind of ATF and car of course.

It also leave a nice appearance on both the wood and metal. it may attach some finish but I haven't had any problems with it to date. The red color may also be an issue in some cases if you spill the stuff on anything.

If your car or truck is an automatic you can get a bit off your dipstick for emergency use in the field also.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Anyone besides myself ever use automatic transmission fluid on their guns?

Its a great general cleaner, lubricant good to -40 or below, corrosion / rust inhibitor, water repellant, little odor, and cost about $2.00 a quart or so. What you don't need you can pour in your car assuming you have the right kind of ATF and car of course.

It also leave a nice appearance on both the wood and metal. it may attach some finish but I haven't had any problems with it to date. The red color may also be an issue in some cases if you spill the stuff on anything.

If your car or truck is an automatic you can get a bit off your dipstick for emergency use in the field also.
    I believe the reason you haven't had any response on this, I started the thread, the subject of which was my manufacturing a product, not what people thought of ATF.

Just curious Nitroman, if I provided you with a sample of this Mystery Oil that I'm getting... would it be possible for you reverse analize/engineer it?

- Clint

Actually I was indirectly commenting on your idea to market a "new" gun oil.

O.K. - maybe I should have been more direct and asked what your new oil will do that ATF does not already provide i.e are you re-inventing the wheel? Some existing products - like RIG and ATF - work so well they are just dang hard to improve upon. On the other hand with enough advertising and hype about anything will sell any more.

But I do have an open mind. In fact I'll pay you for a sample and give you my honest unbiased technical opinion for free. I'm an engineer myself and have worked on all sorts of chemicals and materials in the last 38 years when I wasn't fooling with guns and shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I believe the reason you haven't had any response on this, I started the thread, the subject of which was my manufacturing a product, not what people thought of ATF.

I am in favor of new ideas, but there is an oil on the market called G96 that is very good imo. It is good down to -60f, so they claim. I know it works at -40 firsthand.

I picked up a bottle of Nitroman's first concoction of cleaner and it works great, it takes out what WD-40 leaves behind. Smell isn't bad either, there are worse out there. My .22WMR and AR-15 are smooth and clean inside after this stuff. Can't wait to try the next batch.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    Just curious Nitroman, if I provided you with a sample of this Mystery Oil that I'm getting... would it be possible for you reverse analize/engineer it?
    - Clint
    Unfortunately no, I do not have the equipment here. But if you live in Anchorage or Fairbanks, you could take a small sample to the chemistry departments and they could have a grad student run it through the GC/MS and tell you everything that is in it.

Hey Marv, thanks for the recommendation, wait until I get the next sample to you.

Nitroman:
    I have your amazing chemical concoctions in my hot liddle hay'ands, as I type this message. Also, the instructions etc.

Thanks to ya.
    I'll be getting back to ya.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Received your next batch yesterday, can really see the difference in viscosity. I'll be giving a report soon.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Received your next batch yesterday, can really see the difference in viscosity. I'll be giving a report soon.

Kewl, can't wait.

The first formula looks like "oil". It does clean pretty well, but I wanted to make it clean a little better, so I added some solvents. They really bring the viscosity down. All I did was reduce the precentage of another solvent in the formula, so it still has the lubricating and preservative properties once the lighter solvents evaporate.

Did you see any wolves?

Default sounds good

so about how soon will this stuff be available? Have you contacted any stores or are you just gonna sell it through here first? I currently have 3 dirty pistols, what are the chances I could try this stuff? I am in Anchorage. I will pay for shipping or even a sample.

ATF is also in many Transfer cases on 4x4's. I'll have to look into the ATF, sounds like a great product.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Nitroman:
    I cleaned, then lubed, a 38 revolver with your Tuff Gun Oil, today. It's good stuff to work with.

More later.
    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast