Thread: Spearin' for Pike....

Default Spearin' for Pike....

Buddy of mine at work has been talking about spearing pike (or Northerns as he calls it, crazy old cheesehead!!). Anyone ever try this? I would imagine you cant just use the good 'ol auger for this, and you would have to cut a sizeable hole in the ice? Just curious to see if anyone has had any experience with this or has any tips for techniques, gear, anything!!

Default spearing is fairly popular at most pike lakes

but please, if you drill large openings in the ice, mark them well. All too often I see spearing locations left open without markings. such an incredible hazard for children and others visiting the lakes. good luck, use a dark house and the biggest lures you can get your hands on, and mark your spots with large branches surrounding the opening after you leave.

Default spearing

Take egg shells with you. Crush them and let them settle to the bottom, makes pike more visible.

Default Spear Fishing for Pike

In Montana we use to spend several days each year spearing for pike and Walleye if we were lucky. We had a house with a 30x24 inch hole think we drilled 4x3 with the augar then we had some large ice tong things to help us pull the block out. We normally speared in about 6 feet of water and the spears were pretty heavy so you don't throw them just let them go and the weights takes care of it. We used a decoy, normally a plastic perch, that we would jig up and down in the hole to get the northerns to come in. It was really fun and often times we went home with 8 or so of them between two of us. Once we had three pinned down with three different spears in the same hole, as for some reason they would continue to come in when we speared their buddies, curious I guess. We called them hammer head in Montana and as they compete with Walleye for food we killed up to our limit when ever we could, not bad eating but I'd rather have some Walleye.

I used to spear in Montana all the time, now I spear some of the local Mat-Su lakes. If you are interested in seeing how it's done, let me know and you could meet up w/ me sometime. I have no problem sharing information.

Darkhouse, sounds good, might have to hit you up sometime after the holidays...I see you are also in Healy. Do you work up there and live down here or something like that?

In Upper Michigan, we use to spear Northerns like it was our job! 30x24 hole cut with the chainsaw and the blocks used to raise the shack off the ice to prevent freeze up. We had a large red and white hand carved decoy that worked the best. We would also continue to jig for walleye in the same hole. We did the egg shell trick, plus added a shop light running off a battery on the ice outside the shack to increase visibility. Normally in about 8 feet of water on the outskirts of a weed bed and sand bar. Keep the inside of your shack as dark as possible, and whack pike!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Darkhouse, sounds good, might have to hit you up sometime after the holidays...I see you are also in Healy. Do you work up there and live down here or something like that?

Yeah I work in Healy during the week and commute home on my days off.

I have never gone pike gigging but the icehouse that I put out on Quartz lake is set up just like you are talking, we fish out of a 3'x7' hole, the house has no windows and a propane heater, the kids love it cause its like fishing on top of an aquarium, to light up the bottom we use egg shells for the first few trips then it seems the budweiser fish settle under the ice house and help light the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by LastSplash View Post
    to light up the bottom we use egg shells for the first few trips then it seems the budweiser fish settle under the ice house and help light the bottom.

Pike spears also work well on anyone you catch stocking the lake with "budweiser fish".

Default budweiser fish?

i just checked the regs and couldn't find budweiser fish. are they an invasive fish species that are illegally stocked by people that just don't get it? i hope that they don't become a problem like the pike!

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    In Montana we use to spend several days each year spearing for pike and Walleye if we were lucky.
    Where did you spear at, Nelson Res.?

Tiber Dam (AKA Lake Elwell)
    Last edited by AKFishOn; 12-30-2007 at 11:36. Reason: spelling

I see there is some concerne about the Budweiser fish (and rightfully so) we have a "special" spear that aids in the recovery of them (it looks a lot like a brush handle that extends out to 15'). It is also good for recovering anything else that happens to fail a float test.

We spear pretty frequently and have found the best decoy to be one that looks just like a baby pike, you can find em at 3 rivers adn probably sportsmans too, the red adn white one lured 1/3 the fish the pike colored one did, canabalistic sons a &^&*^s
    Justin