Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas

Default Cabelas

Any one know when the cabelas in anchorage is going to be built or open?

This is a joke post right. cause I am rolling on the floor with laughter!

No joke. A certain manager from sportmens in fairbanks took the job as store manager for a cabelas in anchorage. I have yet to get details

Default Cabela's Retail Stores

I canít speak for Anchorage but their building one right down the road from my house in Rutherford, N.J. I Ďm looking forward to it.

Check this link for new retail stores under construction, I donít see anything about Alaska, but maybe you know something that has not been released?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/aboutus/retail-detail.jsp?detailedInformationURL=/cabelas/en/content/community/aboutus/retail/retail_stores/eastrutherford/erutherford_press.html&cm_re=retail*left*eastruthe rford

Default Mixed Feelings

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    Any one know when the cabelas in anchorage is going to be built or open?
    Sitting here thinking about this possibility. Man 2 Sportsman's Warehouses and a Cabelas all within an hour of my home. Sounds like a dream come true. On the other hand there are a lot of small guys that went out of business when Sportsman's came into the area. I have to think that few could survive both. Maybe some with an specific product to draw customers. (i.e. Barnies Packs and Mark with the Wiggys gear.)
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

I just don't understand why hunters spend so much money at Sportman's and Cabelas.

I don't always support the little guy, but I would say that 80% of my hunting and fishing dollars go to local retailers. I may be in the minority, but I would hate to see a Cabelas come to town.

Default Ebay Sellers

If you count ebay sellers as some of the small guys I'd have to say that atleast 80% of my gear comes from ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I just don't understand why hunters spend so much money at Sportman's and Cabelas.

I don't always support the little guy, but I would say that 80% of my hunting and fishing dollars go to local retailers. I may be in the minority, but I would hate to see a Cabelas come to town.
    Cabelas Brush Buster Hip Boots. I had them for three years and while walking in a stream I hooked a branch and ripped them open (that wasn't supposed to happen according to their catalog). I wrapped them up and sent them back to Cabela's with a letter and about a week or two later there was a brand new pair in my mail. Sorry to say but most small guys cannot do that.
    Plus they always have what you want in the size you want it. Again most small guys cannot keep that much stock on hand.
    If you take the woods out of the woodsman you have nothing left but a man in the woods.

It's a shame to see a lot of little shops get shut down. But it's hard anymore to stay away from bigger stores to save money. Especially since heating oil is going for 3.20 a gallon right now.

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    It's a shame to see a lot of little shops get shut down. But it's hard anymore to stay away from bigger stores to save money. Especially since heating oil is going for 3.20 a gallon right now.
    Ya can't argue with that!!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

A lot of folks here in rural Alaska buy products from Cabelas mailorder catalogs, a store in Anchorage would be a lot more convenient, as long as the prices are reasonable and the service is good.

There is supposed to be a large national hunting and fishing gear store don't know if Cabelas or Bass pro shops or somthing else on C st near 100th in the next 18 months to two years. Could change though.
    Much as I love Barneys I can't always afford to buy $200 hunting pants.
    Other than Outdoor n more which shops have shut down recently?

I got my stuff in the mail and it all had prepaid return shipping labels in the box. I have never even seen anything like that when it comes to service! I hope the small guys can specialize in something that makes them competitive. Good KNOWLEDGABLE customer service will go miles, and a good smith wouldn't hurt. I hate buying guns at sportsman's there are only two people at the one in Wasilla that even seem to follow the gun market. I finally found one lady that even knew anything about the new magnum research 17HMRs and she said that they were looking into carrying them since they already have the pistols. Personally anyone that survives sportsmans would likley survive cabelas though they may see a cut in profits. I wouldn't start unloading my inventory cause I sincerely doubt that it will ever happen!

Default Unfortunately

I going to hated for saying this but Out Doors and More offered nothing to the customers. They had no specialty products carried mostly junk except for clothes. Iím willing to pay a little more but I want the people to know what they are selling. Tell me what sox are best for my situation. You know what ever. I use Three Rivers but as soon as fishing season starts they man that place with high school students. If they donít care then why should I. I use to rum my dadís gun and tackle shop in Ohio and we had no problem keeping customers. We would have people waiting for us to open at 5am. But as soon as he took them for granted and started hiring punks to run the register and the knowledge wasnít there when they had questions business went away and he didnít know why. All I saying is Three Rivers better shape up during fishing season or there next. And why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    A lot of folks here in rural Alaska buy products from Cabelas mailorder catalogs, a store in Anchorage would be a lot more convenient, as long as the prices are reasonable and the service is good.
    The thing about this is. The small guys can't compete at all with the big guys prices. Sometimes they sell things cheeper than the little guy can order it wholesale. So they need a nitch, service and you and i need to be willing to pay a little more for the service.

I use Cabela's a lot. I need clothing in Tall sizes, and the local shops never have the styles I am looking for or the proper size to fit me. I can always get it from Cabela's. Quality is another plus, it does not fall apart the first time it is washed. My wife is very fashion concious, and loves her full length goose down coat. No one locally carries any thing like it. People are always asking her where she got that coat.

Prior to Sportsman's coming to town, I was looking for a specific powder to load for some of my long range shooting. The local shops did not carry it, and refused to order it for me. One shop even told me I did not really want that powder, and if they did not carry it I did not need it. How dare they tell me what I need or want.

I for one would be glad to have Cabela's come to Alaska. Wish they would come to Fairbanks first. An article in today's paper said Target is contemplating a store in Fairbanks. That would give Freddies and Wal-Mart some compatition.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default cutting off noses

It is more often than not the small local guys that not only support your kids hockey team or your own self interests, but they probably started that program.
    In FAI, local businessmen got together and figured FAI needed youth football. They made it happen by pulling the money out of their pockets to get it all started. They were "small" business men with roots right here. Without men like that, programs like youth football may have never started, and that was 40 odd years ago. I don't doubt that same scenario plays out wherever you go.
    Take a look on the ball field fences to see who is supporting the kids. Who sponsors Big Brothers/Sisters? Who puts money into the rescue mission? Who do you or your kids go see when money is needed for your own special thing?
    Yes, there are some big companies that provide support, but by and large it is the little guy who grew up in the community, or has kids in the community, that is trying to make it better.
    When SW had their grand opening I was there. I walked right up to the big shots and asked why they were not yet members of the local chamber of commerce. I asked what their plan was for local program support. Their answer? Well, they did not join every Chamber, and as far as local support goes, they provide support on a national level, like Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Funny thing I said, I was born in FAI and to date have never seen an elk walking across a road here.
    Years ago I was in a local gun shop and overheard the owner complain about the local DU chapter. Seems like they were good about coming in to solicit support, yet he never saw those same people come into his store and spend money. Seems like they were heading to the local big chain.
    Be careful that you are not penny wise and pound foolish.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Duckhunter's on!

I bought a pair of rainpants at the last minute at a certain valley store (now out of business) for $100. The weather delayed our trip for 2 days so I had time to run into Anc. I found the same pair of rain pants at Sportsmans for $47. Are you kidding me? I'm all about supporting the 'little guy', but not when it costs me $53 bucks more- not to mention most working at that store knew jack about outdoor activities.

The comment about the valley fishing store is dead on too- if I am going to pay inflated prices for similar gear, I want good old customer service from a knowledgable person, not some 16 year old who couldn't tell you how to tie a blood knot.

Furthermore, what often gets lost in the 'little guy' argument is the simple economics of stores like the valley Sportsmens opening. How many employees can the 'little guy' hire? How many people were hired at Sportsman's? So, there may be a couple entreprenuers that go belly up, but there are dozens of people earning a living (or additional income) by working at the new store. And the money they earn goes right back into the local economy- at other box stores.

I support the 'little guy'- but not when it greatly affects my bottom line. And certainly not when it fails to meet the standard of customer service it should- because that's one of the few things they have going for them.

Default Mail orders

When Is Sportsmans Warehouse gonna come out with a mail order catalog and on-line ordering? they are sure losing some good $$$$. ....CK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast