Thread: Fishing report for Memory Lake 12-22

Default Fishing report for Memory Lake 12-22

Fished Memory Lake today. Caught quite a few but they were extremely small. About a half of dozen people out there today. Nobody caught anything worth while. Think I will try a different lake tomorrow. Any other reports out there for the Mat-Su?

Default today - Nancy lake ice is 15" thick

and the fishing is slow but productive
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default nice fish

Nice fish. What did you catch him on?
    Last edited by p.j.; 12-23-2007 at 10:40. Reason: spelling

Wink

WOW... that's a pretty nice fish. i'm glad to see that someone is trying to help control the pike problem. keep up the good work.

Mark

I went to Long Lake (Chickaloon) yesterday. The wind, like usual, was brutal. There was another party out there, but they spent their time inside their suburban.

I fished for several hours in comfort. Caught one burbot (3 - 4 lbs) and I kept a couple of small lake trout (14" - 16"). Something kept taking my small herring bait and I repeatedly failed to set the hook. I was probably using hooks that were too small for burbot. I finally ran out of herring (I had a package of a dozen of them). Next time I'll use larger herring bait with larger, #7 hooks.

Then I started using red dyed shrimp, and that's when I started catching the lake trout. All were caught a foot or so from the bottom in 20' of water. I had a Vexilar sonar on the whole time and not once saw a blip of a suspended fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice setup,,looks very comfortable. Did you check out Weiner Lake? The fishing shack that was on Long Lake last year was On Weiner lake last time I drove by. Its a small homemade jobby,,with the tin roof,,wood stove ,nice setup also.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    .....The fishing shack that was on Long Lake last year was On Weiner lake last time I drove by. Its a small homemade jobby,,with the tin roof,,wood stove ,nice setup also.
    Those guys build a nice winter camp!

I wonder why they left Long Lake? I've never tried Weiner Lake, but that's because I tend to target burbot, lake trout, and char.

My goal this year is a 4 or 5 day ice fishing/fur hunting expedition to one of the big Nelchina Basin lakes this March. I bought an Arctic Oven from a fellow poster a couple of weeks ago, and ice fishing was what I had in mind.

Default Hit Memory Lake again

Didn't have much time to fish today, so I hit Memory Lake again. Tough day on the ice. Fished for about two hours and only hooked one. Saw about five other guys out there. Didn't look like they were doing much better.

Default Nancy lake

I use small whole herring, red or blue works. get it from sportsmans or 3 rivers on the way out. hang about 1 foot off bottom in 5-10' of water. so far several over 30" and between 8-10lbs. don't forget to use an 8-12" steel leader. they cut anything else like butter.