Thread: Tent stove cooking

Default Tent stove cooking

I have spent my entire life hunting in Alaska eating ramen and MRE's. I now own a 12x12 tent with a wood stove. The stove has a flat cook top so I purchased a cook set. That is where I am at. I am not a gourmet chef but I do like hot food. You know REAL food. I have a 6 day hunt planned for next week and am trying to put together a food list and some ideas how to prepare simple fast hearty meals.
    Thanks

pasta with some sort of meat in it is usually good. Red beans and rice, chili, soups, stews etc. I know these are general, but just something to think about. if weight/space is not a big issue you can cook anything that you would cook on the stovetop at home.

2 quick and easy meals; brown up some ground beef and mix it up with either mac and cheese or rice a roni, both taste pretty good.

Since preservation isn't a problem this time of year, take whatever you like in either a Foodsaver type bag or just frozen in a Ziplock bag. The only difference is that you don't have to wash the pan if you boil your pre-made meal in a Foodsaver bag. I like any casserole. More ingredients in one dish. Mix the protein, starch, and fat to suit your metabolism. You can even do scrambled eggs, potatoes, and sausage in a bag. Tortillas for bread. Cookies for dessert.

I like breakfast burritos and "Hobo Stew". Thay can both be made ahead of time and frozen.

Burritos I make by slicing Jimmy Dean sausage lengthwise in wedges, potatoes like fries, scrambled eggs with Ricotta cheese mixed in and of course your favorite salsa. Precook all the ingredients, wrap in a tortilla. Wrap it up in tinfoil and your ready to go. Stoke the fire in the morning and lay a couple on top to heat while the fire is getting going.

Hobo Stew - started making this in Cub Scouts in a 1 pound folgers coffee can. The kind with the 'key' that removed the metal ring and left the top as a lid. (That's how old I am) Now we wrap the whole thing in tinfoils and cook it in the coals of a campfire or carefully in the fire box of the stove.

Take a 1/4 lb of burger and make a nice size patty, lay it in the center of a piece of tinfoil. Put a layer of potatoes on the burger, 1/8" +-, sliced mushrooms on top of taters. Add some sliced carrots on top. Salt and pepper. Fold edges of tinfoil together and fold down to make a seal. Fold the ends to make them sealed and you're ready to go. It takes 30-45 minutes to cook. I try to bury it in hot ash and cover with coals. Experiment a little. it seems like these always get eaten in the dark so a couple slices of Jallapeno in one or two of the meals adds a little surprise to dinner.

Enjoy and have a good hunt.

If you could boil water (which I am sure you can)...

You could make boiled eggs which has a good amount of protein in it. These would also be good on taking in your pack.

You could also have Stove Top Stuffing for carbs. Quick and super easy.

Oatmeal would be good, too. Simple and easy.

If you do have food saver packs... you could preserve your meals from home and then boil them either on your stove pot or even in a JetBoil.

I cheat on this stuff, myself. Blah... Mountain Home is so easy. There are so many options... and it benefits my REI card for the end of year dividend.
    Lurker.

I'm with Mr Pid on the foodsaver bag thing. Works with all kinds of food. Chicken breast, chili, stew, we have even did moose burgers with the bun and cheese. Just boil water drop in the bag and in a few minutes nice hot chow. EZ as mountain house and way cheaper. I have started taking meals this way on all hunts. When we have left overs I seal them up and have some ready for the next trip. I still use mountain house when weight is an issue, but the freezer bag thing works great. We took food this way frozen in a cooler and it stayed good for the entire 10 days. When you are done just burn the bag and all the cleaning is done.

Good Luck

Steve

Breakfast: I like a quick, not Quiche breakfast. Diced bacon, sausage, or ham and egg burritos. For breakfast I like to use pre-cooked meats. You can cook them at home and put in proper sized zip lock packages for the number of mouths to feed. In the morning open a pkg of meat into a greased skillet on your stove. Warm to a sizzle add 2 or 3 eggs per person. I crack a couple dozen eggs into a wide mouth Nalgene bottle at home, that way you don't have to worry about breakage. Mix together until done enough for you. Start warming tortillas on another part of stove when you add the eggs. Let your sous chef do this. Put a slice of cheese in bottom of tortilla, spoon a heaping helping of the egg mix. Top with salsa. Enjoy.

Supper: Hamburger Helper type meals are easy. But that doesn't beat fresh backstraps. Cut 3/4" thick backstraps. Dredge in seasoned flour. Fry in greased skillet until done to your liking.
    Another meal I like is kind of like individual stew packets. In 1' or so sheet of heavy duty foil place about 1/2# cubed meat of your choice. Dice potatos, carrots, onions, celery or whatever else you like. Season to your liking, add place a few of each of the veggies into your packet. Save enough room to fold up the corners and twist tightly to close. Place these on top of stove. You might have to poke a small hole in the tops depending on how tightly you twist the tops. I'm not going to give cook times as there're too many variables. But if you hear it sizzling when you first put it on the stove, you might want to place them to a slightly cooler position. Let them steam for at least 30-40 min. Check for doneness.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    If you could boil water (which I am sure you can)...

If you do have food saver packs... you could preserve your meals from home and then boil them either on your stove pot or even in a JetBoil.

That is exactly what I do! I make meals at the house and vacume pack them, cook them in boiling water and eat right out of the bag. Then at camp throw the wrapper in the fire and no trash to haul out.

I lay them flat as I can and freeze the meals. Later, I stack the meals in a cooler...This way I don't have to worry about ice for a while and it keeps anything else that needs to keep cold. ie. Beer.

A good thing to do is when you have alot of leftovers from meals at the house, just foodsave them. That way when hunting and fishing season comes around you don't have to worry about what your taking for meals.

Another trick is to make pancakes/waffles/muffins or any bread or soft food items and freeze them first...Once frozen then you can foodsave it without the vacume packer crushing it flat.

At the end of a hard day it's easier to boil water than cook a meal. Everytime we are out we eat like kings.

Last year I sold my wall tent and stove. I had a nice one that I got custom built from Alaska Tent and Tarp. But I found it was more of a hassle for me than I wanted. I tried to cook several times on it but it was all in vain. Other than things already in a can and coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGUPPY View Post
    Breakfast: I like a quick, not Quiche breakfast. Diced bacon, sausage, or ham and egg burritos. For breakfast I like to use pre-cooked meats. You can cook them at home and put in proper sized zip lock packages for the number of mouths to feed.
    I started getting the Jimmy Dean brown and serve sausage patties. They are already vacuum packed and come precooked. They still have some oil in them so if you warm them in a pan you have enough oil to keep the eggs from sticking. I usually dice them up before heating, cook the eggs with them after they heat up and then roll in a warm tortilla. I also carry the eggs pre-beaten in a Nalgene bottle. I usually chop up a bunch of green chili in them as well. Quick and easy.