Thread: Boots

Default Boots

Starting to put together my gear for CAH caribou trip. Considering Lacross Alpha Lites. Any recommendations on foot wear?

CAH?

I'm a leather boot guy. I like my Cabelas Alaskan hunters for just about everything. I've yet to find a rubber boot that has enough ankle support to make me happy on the lumpy tundra. I just get my feet wet and don't worry about it.

LOWA boots - either the Sheephunter or the GTX. I absolutely love my LOWAs.

Thumbs up Cabela’s Alaska Hunter

I’m in agreement with “AKDoug”. On my last goat hunt I used Cabela’s Alaska Hunter boots by “Meindl” and I was very impressed. As you can imagine it was up and down all day every day, the ankle support was fantastic. I used these boots in combination with quality liners and smart wool socks, the system worked great. Not a single blister the entire trip.
    I should mention I bought these boots a year out and really broke them in slowly once a week – every week prior to the hunt.

“Brian M” mentions the LOWA sheep hunters, I’m not positive, but I’ve heard that Meindl build’s these boots as well? If so I would have to imagine there almost identical, if that is true - research it and go with the cheaper alternative?

Link to the Cabela’s boots:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0015005811490a&type=product&cmCat=Sear ch_Results_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=Alaska+Boots&N=4887&Ntk=Pro ducts&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Alaska+Boots&noI mage=0

Good luck!

Default liners

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMac View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I’m in agreement with “AKDoug”. On my last goat hunt I used Cabela’s Alaska Hunter boots by “Meindl” and I was very impressed. As you can imagine it was up and down all day every day, the ankle support was fantastic. I used these boots in combination with quality liners and smart wool socks, the system worked great. Not a single blister the entire trip.
    I should mention I bought these boots a year out and really broke them in slowly once a week – every week prior to the hunt.
    I agree about the liners. One of the first things I did with my Miendls was replace the liner that came in them.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default LOWAs

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    LOWA boots - either the Sheephunter or the GTX. I absolutely love my LOWAs.
    2nd what Brain M said Lowas are great. Tried other boots in the past and none even come close. For caribou generally you are going to be on the tundra and other uneven ground which isn't all that comfortable for long hikes in mudboots. Although as far as mudboots go I have to say that Alphas are great. I ahve some Lacrosse Alphas that I use during moose season although I bring my Lowas as well. I find myself using the Lowas more and more since then just feel so comfortable and a lot of the time I'm on the dry tundra and are much comfotable to walk in that the Alphas.

I have a set of Meindl Perfekts and I dig em....really comfortable boot to hunt and hike in.

Default Scarpa boots

Check out Scarpa high end mountain boot. Lightweight superior anlke support. Much more rugged then Lowa,Meindel or the likes. Style is Liskaiam or Summit. You wont be disappointed.

Default Boots

In the last 42 years I have spent more time in the uninsulated L.L. Bean shoe pacs then any other boot. They have a rubber bottom and leather top. I use an innersole and no liner. I actually have 3 pair. I wear the 10" version with the vibram sole the most, but, the 14" version with the chain tread is my favorite for low land moose hunting. Schenee's makes the same style, that is as good or better. I would make sure they are big enough for a thin and mid weight sock. I use sno-seal and a hair dryer on the leather. It is not the boot I would want on a mountain hunt, but , it gives me enough ankle support for the hunting I do. Seems like any hunt in Alaska is wet and I have never used a leather boot that did not eventually leak and take forever to dry. A lot of hunters swear by an all leather boot for hunting. I want a pair of Lowa's, but, they do not make a 14 EE. My curse.

Default Boots

In the last 42 years I have spent more time in the uninsulated L.L. Bean shoe pacs then any other boot. They have a rubber bottom and leather top. I use an innersole and no liner. I actually have 3 pair. I wear the 10" version with the vibram sole the most, but, the 14" version with the chain tread is my favorite for low land moose hunting. Schenee's makes the same style, that is as good or better. I would make sure they are big enough for a thin and mid weight sock. I use sno-seal and a hair dryer on the leather. It is not the boot I would want on a mountain hunt, but , it gives me enough ankle support for the hunting I do. Seems like any hunt in Alaska is wet and I have never used a leather boot that did not eventually leak and take forever to dry. A lot of hunters swear by an all leather boot for hunting. I want a pair of Lowa's, but, they do not make a 14 EE. My curse.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    2nd what Brain M said Lowas are great....
    I've got a 3rd and a 4th for the Lowas. Dont own them personally (probably get a pair as soon as I get tired of my Rockys) but have two friends who bought them (one member on here who is a sheep/goat hunting maniac) and said they absolutely would not go to anything else after wearing these boots. They both claim no break in period, and super comfortable from the first time they laced 'em up...

Default Kenetrek

http://www.kenetrek.com/

The 13" Grizzly and the Hardscrabble hiker are my favs.

Thumbs up meindl

I've worn meindl canada's for years...tall enough for water, absolutely dry and tons of support for up in the mountains....wouldn't wear anything else. Great for tundra, into swamp and up in the rocks for goats.

Lightbulb Cabela's Gear

My experience with the Cabela's Alasken Hunters was quite different than AKDoug.

My gore tex liner leaked like a sive. Their customer service in handling this matter was disapointing as well. I beleive I paid about $230, so they were not cheap boots.

I have been using German Meindl "Canada Pro's" with excellent results. Much of Cabela's gear is not up to Alasken requirments. The Cabela's version of this boot known as "The Canada" and the german version are not the same. M.H.O.