Thread: PRE FAB CABINS??? some experiance

Default PRE FAB CABINS??? some experiance

hey all im just now starting to research but was curious about if others have had a pre fab cabin built. Im looking to move up to fairbanks in 1.5 years and buy a cheaper place like a small cabin. i can only find crappy places it seems. I do not want anything special and im not too specific yet but i sorta like a 20X20 cabin plus or minus with the bedroom in the top. then with the wood stove for heat. i want electric and water. There is a ton of land near the college and 15 grand for 1-2 acres with electric and water access.

Without actually contacting companys like superior logs, there are a few others i have come across and wasting their time if does not work out how much do these cost? I would love to build one myself but wont have the time. I just want the cabin foundation and water/electric run. Im sure this is too broad and i will continue my research but i know a bunch of you experianced guys can lead me in the right direction.

I just want my own place for 1-2 people to live in a cozy place. Thanks vance

I'd say it depends on where you get it. I've known people who have bought pre-fab'd kits, and as soon as they broke the bands on the material, they found lots of worthless material. Some companied will say you bought what you bought, while other will replace material that obviously can't be used to build with.

Im also looking at i forget the name but a company i believe in talkeetna that has the insulated walls that they put up and then just put wood siding on it. i like the look of that as well, i will have to find the name again to post. vance

Default Pre Fab Cabs

Forum Member Louis posted a question on this a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20487

There is a place where a couple from our church purchased their logs for their cabin and I am pretty sure that they are prefabcabs.

Here is that website:
    http://www.ykakloghomes.com/gallery.html

I hope it helps. Let us know for sure.
    Where are you thinking about living at in the Fairbanks area?
    Lurker.

I will be moving up to fairbanks summer 2009. I hopefully will buy land and get my plans set up for the home/cabin in the the spring 09. Right now is just where i need to start and see what other have done. thanks vance

Hey Colorado, were your friends building a cabin or a home? We have been looking at YukonLog and a few other places for our log home when we move. The log homes they build are cut and assembled on their site, tyaken down then shipped to your site and reassembled to the point of weather tight/lockup. We didn't get any costs yet, did your friends think their costs were reasonable.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Forum Member Louis posted a question on this a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20487

There is a place where a couple from our church purchased their logs for their cabin and I am pretty sure that they are prefabcabs.

Here is that website:
    http://www.ykakloghomes.com/gallery.html

I hope it helps. Let us know for sure.
    Where are you thinking about living at in the Fairbanks area?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Hey Colorado, were your friends building a cabin or a home? We have been looking at YukonLog and a few other places for our log home when we move. The log homes they build are cut and assembled on their site, tyaken down then shipped to your site and reassembled to the point of weather tight/lockup. We didn't get any costs yet, did your friends think their costs were reasonable.

kingfisherktn
    Yes... VERY reasonable. My husband said that these are the tightest fits he has EVER worked with. My husband likes it so much that when we dream up our house, we will be ordering from YukonLog. Worth it... and the couple at our church LOVE LOVE LOVE their place.

When we get back, I'll take some pictures of their construction... inside and out and show you the grooves used, but the product as a whole.
    Lurker.

COtoAk, did they build a home or cabin?

ps. how did the performance go?

kingfisherktn

Default Tight fit...

I just finished putting up a Cascade log structure log home,2500 sq ft, and was built in Canada and shipped to Wa (3 semi loads).The company sent 2 workers, and we had it set up(just walls and log trusses in 3 days.Was 18" -24" logs...huge logs.Not my cup of tea, but the owner liked it.I have to say...These guys fit logs with a compression fit saddle notch, and the joints were unreal...very nicely scribed.Now that is some real talent.GR