Thread: Winter Gear Test

Default Winter Gear Test

Well I will be heading up to hunt 20A next Friday and have all new gear. I will be posting a review on all of it when I get back. I will also be posting a review of the hunt on the hunting forum regardless of the outcome.
    Here is an abbreivriated gear list in case some of you are interested in it's performance at the fairly extreme end of the spectrum.

Cabelas Alaknak II 12x12 tent
    Cabelas Cylinder hunter stove package
    Grandoe Makalu Extreme Condition Mitts
    Polartec windpro X-treme dome hat
    Polartec windpro x-treme hood
    Marmot reactor fleece pant
    Big Agnes prima loft sleeping pad (per Snyd's recomendation)
    Arctiva snowmobile gear(bibs and jacket will be hunting in them)
    Colman sport heat catylitic heater (for extreme cold snogo pre-heating)
    Garmin 60CSX and topo 2008
    Browning 325 A-bolt II and leupold rifleman 3x9...hopefully...(will be reviewed on hunting forum)
    Cabelas fleece bag liner
    A variety of different sox
    Irish setter 800 gram thinsulate boots
    Large Jet utility sled
    Large Otter II sled
    I will also probably review how our mountain sleds do as utility machines on the snowmachine forum.
    2004 1M 800 efi 159"
    Yamaha Apex 162" (4-stroke)
    I will also highlite some predator calls on the coresponding forum (with pics...I hope)

I don't know how many of you have followed my prep for this winter moose hunt but I want to say thanks to all of you who have helped in one small way or another in the planning! I got back from Iraq in late august promptly seperated from the service and returned to my home state sept 10th, after a 9 year absence. I had no gear and turned to this site for advice I hope that my review helps others in the daunting task of filtering through the advertising and getting to the "good stuff".

You should have been here this week, it was 40 below It has warmed up now to about zero. Hopefully the weather will hold for you so don't have to deal with 40 below or colder. Shoot me a pm next week before you come up. Maybe we can have a cup of coffee on your way through Fairbanks.

Perry
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Irish Setter boots

The Irish Setters are not your're primary footwear are they?

I do not know you're experience level plulling sleds so forgive me if this is already known. Cinch everything in the sleds down tight so nothing can move. Anything that can move will be broken or have holes rubbed in it. I use old blankets, rags, and sleeping bags as filler between hard objects. Lantern glass needs to be immobilized and bring extra mantles. Be careful with placement of gas and oil, if it leaks in the sled it will cover everything. Try to separate it somehow or carry it in sled by itself. I put two stroke oil in the smallest red gas can I can find, the plastic containers it comes in are too thin. You are not goin very far so maybe just carry a quart secured in the engine compartment of each sled. A coffee can secured next to the exhaust pipe in the engine compartment will hold 4 bottles of water tightly so they wont break or freeze. If it is truly cold like this last week, a hot dogger is nice with chicken nuggets or brats for a quick hot meal(pack in tight with foil).

Take care and good luck.

Default Cold Toes?

I agree with mstumpe, I sure hope the "Irish setter 800 gram thinsulate boots" isn't your only footwear. Should be sufficient for riding, but I can't imagine being idle for a long period of time with such boots.

Enjoy your trip...take some pictures.

Bryan

Mark

I did an initial ice fishing test yesterday on Big Lake. The Eskimo QuickFish III was a smashing success, however the Mr. Heater failed. I must have had nothing but propane cans with not enough fuel in them. Couldn't get the pilot to light.

Also the single mantle multi-fueled lantern worked, but I think a dual mantle would provide almost all the heat needed (with the Mr. Heater as a secondary source).....

I've got a couple of ideas.............
    Attached Images Attached Images

The 2 sets of boots I have to choose between are Klim snowmachining boots or the irish setters. I have been out in setters to under 5 degrees with cotton socks on and my feet did get slightly cold while stopped for 20-30 minutes which I attributed to my socks getting wet while hiking they warmed right back up when I started moving again. I am going with much heavier wool and poly socks on this trip. Do you think the Klim's would be a better choice? I have purty much blown the budget at this point is there a good inexpensive boot that would be more effective?

Alright my slope working neighbor is a heck of a guy!! he just loaned me a pair of baffin barrow boots. He also owns an online automotive performance store www.omegaracingproducts.com which has high intensity discharge (HID) headlight conversions at about the best price I have seen. I am planning on working with him to get a set for my F150 and my snogo. The ones I looked at were in a generic box but the HID controller had "manufactured by HELLA Technology" printed on it. Once I get the set for my snogo I will review it in the appropriate forum. Thanks again for all your help!

Default Bunnys?

I've always been a fan of the bunny boots and at 80 bills a set it can't be too much more than the HIDs. Plus that are truly waterproof being rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I've always been a fan of the bunny boots and at 80 bills a set it can't be too much more than the HIDs. Plus that are truly waterproof being rubber.
    They are 80 bucks if you are willing to overpay for them, Lanche Check out eBay. They are usually right around or less than 50 bucks a pair (shipping included) to the door. They are also the real bunny boots made by Bata. Alaska_Lanche said you were kinda a big feller so I posted a link to a pair of 11's. Might be too small but I'll take a shot in the dark!

Bunny Boots But it now 27.50 and shipping 14.50 (42 dollars total). Check it out...

HID's....LuJon, I dont know if your buddy is going to give you a deal but Mike Johnson at Higher Level Automotive sells HID kits for about 50 bucks less. He is a supplier at fullsizechevy.com and can probably get you HID's for your Ford also. Seems to give good customer service and a quality kit. He's also doing a christmas special right now Here's a few pics of his kit (looked professional and quality to me):

Dont want to rain on anyones parade, just a little FYI for you...Good Luck with the hunt and stay warm!!!

I did an initial ice fishing test yesterday on Big Lake. The Eskimo QuickFish III was a smashing success, however the Mr. Heater failed. I must have had nothing but propane cans with not enough fuel in them. Couldn't get the pilot to light.
    With those Mr. Heaters, try pushing the the pilot light knob down (in) and then twisting it slightly to the right and hold for about 10-15 seconds before clicking it to the right to ignite the pilot. This allows the gas to start flowing out the pilot so that the spark can then ignite it when you click it.

If you were doing this, then I apologize for the useless info. Just trying to help. I remember having a few problems with mine on the first go around.

--Zeb

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well I will be heading up to hunt 20A next Friday and have all new gear. I will be posting a review on all of it when I get back. I will also be posting a review of the hunt on the hunting forum regardless of the outcome.
    Here is an abbreivriated gear list in case some of you are interested in it's performance at the fairly extreme end of the spectrum.

Cabelas Alaknak II 12x12 tent
    Cabelas Cylinder hunter stove package
    Grandoe Makalu Extreme Condition Mitts
    Polartec windpro X-treme dome hat
    Polartec windpro x-treme hood
    Marmot reactor fleece pant
    Big Agnes prima loft sleeping pad (per Snyd's recomendation)
    Arctiva snowmobile gear(bibs and jacket will be hunting in them)
    Colman sport heat catylitic heater (for extreme cold snogo pre-heating)
    Garmin 60CSX and topo 2008
    Browning 325 A-bolt II and leupold rifleman 3x9...hopefully...(will be reviewed on hunting forum)
    Cabelas fleece bag liner
    A variety of different sox
    Irish setter 800 gram thinsulate boots
    Large Jet utility sled
    Large Otter II sled
    I will also probably review how our mountain sleds do as utility machines on the snowmachine forum.
    2004 1M 800 efi 159"
    Yamaha Apex 162" (4-stroke)
    I will also highlite some predator calls on the coresponding forum (with pics...I hope)

I don't know how many of you have followed my prep for this winter moose hunt but I want to say thanks to all of you who have helped in one small way or another in the planning! I got back from Iraq in late august promptly seperated from the service and returned to my home state sept 10th, after a 9 year absence. I had no gear and turned to this site for advice I hope that my review helps others in the daunting task of filtering through the advertising and getting to the "good stuff".
    Well I Just got back and it wasn't toooo cold averaged about 15 below with a couple spikes to -25. The alaknakII tent did well would be better to have an arctic oven for the temps we were at. We got the temp up to 55* but didn't have a chain saw to cut "real wood". We took in great value firplace logs and I will say leave them at home for a fireplace they are neaither "great" or a "value" we found a bunch of dead standing birtch to use for the stove and threw the last of the firplace logs onto a big camp fire no surprise it put that fire out too. If you have anything valuble that you want to protect from a house fire build a box out of those logs and your set. As far as the tent take real wood or a chain saw and bring cots the bottom 18 inches of the tent would not go above 20*. We slept on the floor

The OTTER II sled: the back of the sled had a hole in it that we noticed about 15 mile on the way IN. We went in 35 miles to camp and back out by the time I got all the way out most of the back of the sled was gone and my cousin followed behind me to pick up the debris. We will be testing sportsmans warehouse customer service tomorrow....

Jet sled: the tub of the sled performed great to my surprise. The jet sled tow bar was utter junk. I think there is an otter tow bar for that type of sled get it and honestly you will probably be happy with your cheap little sled if it fits your needs. We put 75 miles on his and aside from the numerous problems with the tow bars it took a beating at 20 below without a problem.

Garmin: had to calibrate the compass, till I figured out how to do that it was a total pain in the *&^! Wondered around in some thick sruce to check out a noise near camp and decided to navigate back to the trail with the gps. Was going totaly the wrong direction till I started fitteling with it and found the "calibrate compas" screen. You spin slowly around holding the thing level (you look rediculous doing this) then it is done. The topo maps suck for road navigation and could be a real problem if you are lost or in trouble and just want to get to the nearest road. It had us almost 3/4 mile off the parks while I was driving down it! If I was in trouble I don't want to be directed to a spot 3/4 of a mile west of the darn highway I want to go to the HIGHWAY! I will writed garmin and ask if there is an update for the topo software this week.

Grandoe mittens: were AWESOME! put them on warm hands, sweat in them warm hands, working bare handed bump a bush causing a bunch of snow to fall into the glove cold as heck for a few minutes then back to WARM HANDS!
    Barrow boots, and Irish setters: were buth purty much useless. Get bunnies! My cousins ICE Kings (I forget whoe makes them) worked great for him.

Marmot reactor fleece pants: I used them under my arctiva snogo gear and pretty much lived in them. I was totaly comfortable using them as a base/mid layer I will be buyin another set and at 55 buck they are hard to beat. They are not wind proof but I like them better than any thermal tights. I went to bed with them damp and woke up dry. Matter of fact I even climbed into the snow wearing just the pants then hopped into the truck they were wet for maybe an hour

The serius polar tec dome hat: did fantastic under a nit hat it totaly blocked the wind! I wore it alone most of the time, It looks rediculous like a middle ages peasant hat only with modern material instead of leather. If any one was around I would throw on my boonie hat over it.

serius Polar tec hood was very warm and wind proof but caused my goggles to fog. I didn't wear it much read below

No Fog mask: They like the hood look rediculous but just plain work! I wore it at all times when riding and kept it on while looking through my rifle scope and bino's which kept my breath from fogging the lenses. I recommend it highly for cold weather hunting since nothing would suck as much as missing a shot due to your breath fogging your scope at the crucial moment.

Cylinder Stove: The hunter stove may be a bit under-sized for the tent at that temp but it might just be the low quality wood we were using. I will keep experimenting with it to be sure. It will definately be perfect for late fall and fmaily fishing trips. The 4 gallon hot water tank atachment was fantastic, we put three or four frozen water bottles one morning and it thawed them out in about thirty minutes. It also worked great for oatmeal in the morning.

The Yamaha did great. We ran it till good and warm each night then tarped it and it fired right up the next morning. The 800 mountain cat did well as a freight hauler sans the BAD gas mileage (about double the gas useage of the APEX).
    Last thing tonight since my battery is dying thanks for the recomendation on the big agnes insulated pad it worked perfectly!