Thread: Favorite plinkers? Targets?

Eagle River

Default Favorite plinkers? Targets?

Whats your guys' favorite guns to just mess around with?

I like my AK, SKS, Model 41, my ruger 17hmr autoloader and my 454 casull. These latter 3 also serve other purposes though.

Clay pigeons are one of my favorite targets. Shotgun shells and golfballs are also some fun ones. And the classic pop can is a good one.

For along time I was hung up on bench shooting, accuracy ect. I still am but find my self just shooting to shoot sometimes. And even though my plinkers dont shoot or feel the same as my hunting guns, I still benefit from the practice. I have been keeping track of my progress and I have been shooting my hunting guns alot better using practical hunting positions.

Default favorites, plinkers and targets, and memories there of...

Well the .22's of course... Grew up with a Winchester and shot many, many, rounds and many things with it. Rocks to squirrels and every thing between... Some things too that I shouldn't have shot with it...

One time when I was around ten years old I came out of the woods with a nearly crow size bird me and my 22 conquered. I was overjoyed at this huge, colorful, prehistoric looking trophy. My Mom was excited too (not the same way I was), she told me it was a Pileated Woodpecker and went on to lecture me how it was near extinction, etc. She was a bird lover, so that wasn't the best choice.

For present time and plinking, I still love the .22. Use a 10/22 and recently found a mint Winchester 77 to rekindle my youth (I think I hear a peckerwood (as my Grandpa called them). For a sidearm, have a Ruger single six with both cylinders that was my dads that he carried on the farm with him. I shot it a lot as a kid and adult, great little pistol for around the place.

Targets: Well as a kid anything that wouldn't get me in trouble (and a few that did, see above). How about the gallon milk jug filled with water and food coloring? Clays at different ranges put in the crook of a tree works well to see who can get it first... Pop cans hanging from a small twig strung out at different ranges and heights. Now going way back, and I sure don't do this now, but glass bottles sure let you know when you hit them... That would get you in trouble too, see them pop bottles had a deposit on them!

Every small town use to have a self service trash dump (no the truck didn't come every week to your house) and that was a great place to go shoot rats, glass bottles, you name it, and no one cared about the mess you left behind!!! Great spot to see bears too (I'm talking black bears, I'm in the lower 48!)

I thank the good Lord that I still live where I can go outside my house and hit the woods and do all these things, and now with other generations as well.

My favorite target is ice. In the summer freeze up a bunch in styro cups or ice cube trays, dump it all into an ice chest and take it to the range. Impressive white halos when you hit it, and no cleanup.

Favorite plinking gun is whatever I stick in the truck that day, from small to large.

My favorite targets are California ground squirrels. I don't get to shoot them often, but I'll be shooting some in a couple of weeks or so.

My brother has a couple of long range varmint guns; one's a TC in 22 PPC, the other is a H&R in 223. Both are single shots topped with 6.5-20 scopes. It's incredible. Squirrels show half of themselves out of a hole, and popping them at 300 yards is a piece of cake.

Southwest Alaska

Reactive targets.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have not done it for many years, but back when I lived down south and fruit was plentiful, we would go to the local grocery store and ask if we could have a bunch of spoiled fruit to shoot at. Every single time the answer was the same “really?? You want spoiled fruit to shoot at……..with guns?? Sure, take all you want!” big melons were of course the preferred item, but even pears, peaches and apples offer a satisfying display when hit! Growing up on a farm in Nebraska we had these hedge rows that had been planted nearly a hundred years ago as a barrier to roaming cattle, and these hedges produced a nasty, sticky green fruit about the size of a soft ball, and Dad or Grandpa would stand behind us and throw these things up and out for us to use as shotgun practice! Fun stuff, except for the thrower, as I had mentioned, those “hedge balls” as we called them were all sticky with some sort of white sap. I do remember one great summer, and I think I was about 9 or 10 and had spent many a day honing my shooting skills by blasting the green glass insulators off of the old, and unused phone poles………….until I got caught! Another wonderful pastime was shooting bullfrogs with my first “real” rifle. A 243 Winchester! We wouldn’t exactly shoot the frogs, but would instead aim about 2 inches below them in the mud, and when that little bullet smacked that soft mud the frog would fly strait up into the air and nearly out of sight! We would wait a second or two, for the frog to re-enter the atmosphere and land on the mud with a satisfying thwack! Usually they survived this little adventure, but were stunned to the point of being immobile, and were quickly retrieved to be used as food for later. This little sport also came to an end when my Dad found out I had been shooting up all that expensive 243 ammunition on frogs!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Southern Tier, New York

.22LR (rifle and handgun) at paper and steel swingers

Hunting rifles at quart to gallon plastic jugs filled with water at various unknown yardages (100 to approx. 350) hunting positions only.

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    big melons were of course the preferred item

Aren't they always.

Sterling, AK

Default Plinkers

My most used plinker is any of my 22 LR rifles or pistols. The most fun is my 9410 shotgun. My targets include pop cans and shotgun shells either on a twig (in the ground) or spaced out on the ground. I always shoot in front of a backstop.

Whatever I shoot at it is alive before I shot it. Otherwise it is just wasting valuable ammo. Yes, I can probably shoot paper targets, but that won't feed me.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default targets

Charcoal briquettes make great (and cheap) targets. When you hit them, they make a little black cloud, and there is no clean up like shooting cans/bottles.

Soldotna, ALASKA since '78

Steel targets are the best. I like to use stationary (reversed poppers) versions when shooting solo and your hits are evident with that lovely clanging sound. Reactive steel is also fun, but you have to reset the targets every time. So, steel duel posts or remote resetable racks offer the most enjoyment, but they also take more setup.

For expendible targets, I like 1L plastic soda bottles. I go through my fair share of Mountain Dew and the 1L bottles make nice plinkers. I take the cap, seal ring, and the label off the empty bottles so you just have the bottle remaining. They hold together pretty well so you still only have 1 piece to pick up when you're done shooting. I think they are more fun empty than they are when filled with water (unless you're shooting high power rifle and only need to see 1 hit).

A fun duel is to set 2 different colored bottles on the range at about 15 yards and separated a bit. You and your buddy start at the same time and the first one to get his bottle past a certain point (I usually use 50 yards with 22 or 223 rifles) wins. It's a fun rapid fire game and you can really get those plastic bottles to jump. One can move a bottle 35 yards in a half-dozen hits. Of course, you have to pick up your trash when you're done. Folks who litter the range with their plinking targets really irk me, so I usually pick up considerably more than I brought with me.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!