Thread: Camera for beginners

Default Camera for beginners

I apologize if there is already a thread on this which I'm almost positive there is but for those who have any other input-
    Im a college student at UAA and love the outdoors. The only camera I've ever had is an Olympus digital camera, and it's worked great for years. However, in my recent outing I spotted a wolverine which was pretty cool; unfortunately, I missed the 25 yard photo shot which would have been awesome! I managed to take a few others but without the zoom the wolverine appears to be a dark dot in the snow.
    Also, I recently began taking photos through a spotting scope on hunting trips to get "more zoom." Some of those actually turned out pretty cool but I really want a higher-grade camera that would allow me to take great photos from further distances. Durability is also a factor- I imagine the camera might possibly "bounce around" a bit over my time.
    Weight/size are also issues because I would love to be able to easily pack it on day trips or sheep hunts.
    Advice, recommendations, knowledge anyone? Thanks for anything and everything in advance
    Does anyone have any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by SperBear View Post
    I apologize if there is already a thread on this which I'm almost positive there is but for those who have any other input-
    Im a college student at UAA and love the outdoors. The only camera I've ever had is an Olympus digital camera, and it's worked great for years. However, in my recent outing I spotted a wolverine which was pretty cool; unfortunately, I missed the 25 yard photo shot which would have been awesome! I managed to take a few others but without the zoom the wolverine appears to be a dark dot in the snow.
    Also, I recently began taking photos through a spotting scope on hunting trips to get "more zoom." Some of those actually turned out pretty cool but I really want a higher-grade camera that would allow me to take great photos from further distances. Durability is also a factor- I imagine the camera might possibly "bounce around" a bit over my time.
    Weight/size are also issues because I would love to be able to easily pack it on day trips or sheep hunts.
    Advice, recommendations, knowledge anyone? Thanks for anything and everything in advance
    Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm thinking maybe a Pentax K10D or somthing of that sorts may fit the bill..

Default How big?

If you are willing to pack a DSLR, the Pentax K10D might be a good choice. You will want to add a lens that zooms to at least 300mm or so to take shots of animals in the wild. Now you are talking about $800 or better, and it's sure not going to fit in your pocket. If you want a point & shoot type camera with a long zoom lens, you can get those packed into a large coat pocket, and they're light weight. The DSLR has plenty of advantages in speed and image quality, but they are more money, and you have to make photography a priority or you won't pack one around with you when you need it.

Which ever type you decide on, make sure you get the camera (or the lens) with real image stabilization (it goes by several names: IS, OIS, VR, OS). You will need it for use with the long lens if you shoot in anything less than bright light. And don't accept some form of "digital stabilization," that's not even real. For the same reason ignore "digital zoom."

Look at the Olympus SP 560 UZ, Panasonic FZ18 and Canon S5 IS. They are all good cameras with some features different than the others. You can check them out at: http://dpreview.com/

When you decide, use a honest retailer. You can find plenty of lower prices advertised that are just scams. Check out: http://www.cameralandny.com/ to see if they have what you want. Another reliable dealer is: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/