Thread: A little yote hunting info

Default A little yote hunting info

Well I ordered myself a Howa 1500 today in .243cal so that I could chase some coyotes this winter. I also have a few calls and a screamin quivering rabbit decoy on order. I should be just about set for gear.

Any last minute tips or "must haves" before the new gun gets here and I start chasing em around the woods?

I've hunted pretty much everything else there is, but this will be my first attempt at predator hunting. There's plenty of yotes around my area, but I'm sure the learning curve is going to be a little rough since I'll be learning as I go. Just looking for some helpful tips!

Make sure you can see downwind on every stand.

Default most important advice?

PATIENCE! Your not going to have packs of yotes coming in the first couple minutes attacking your decoy! It can happen, but I give at least a half hour, some of those pups come a long way...start with lower volume for a couple sets, in case there are some dogs close, then build it up for a couple..and maybe one more time with slightly less volume again, that should take you about a half hour, and before you get up to leave have a really good look around, just in case you got one sitting there starring you down, amazing how hard it can be to spot them sometimes. You won't get one every time you do a setup. If you do see one comeing, use a lip kiss and lay off the caller. I've brought them in from 200 yards easy just with the kiss. I think they can hear you fart at 100 yards! If you do get a shot on one go right to a wounded dog call, it may very well have a partner, and a lot of the time they will keep coming. You don't have to move a half mile every time if you are in good country, change the call you are using and go for it again, you may only move 2 to 300 yards. The sad part about this is once you try it and bring one in you are hooked! Desertdog

Well when I say we're infested over here I mean we're INFESTED!!! This time of year when the snow is on the ground I see them almost every time I drive out the road. I've had as many as nine cross the road in front of me while out there. We've got some wolves around too. They aren't nearly as thick, but we see the tracks in the snow quite often.

I can't wait to give it a go. I'm tempted to take my howler call and rabbit distress call out with my shotgun or .338 just to get me out there now! I really want the hides to tan though so I don't want to tear em up like that!

Default City?

Where are you located?

I'm over across the sound in Cordova. We here yotes howling pretty much every night while we're out playing and I found a couple pretty good packs while duck hunting this year.