Thread: First hunt as a kid

Default First hunt as a kid

When I was a kid back in the Carolina woods my father was my first shooting instructor, he taught me how to shoot a 410ga shotgun. After learning the basics of firearms safety, he let me shoot the single shot. Should have seen the smile on my face when I knocked the tin can off of the fence post at 20 feet down at our horse corral. The very next day he took my brother and I out into the woods squirrel hunting. We just watched as he shot gray squirrels down out of the trees. Afterward we took them home, cleaned them up and cooked them for dinner. Squirrels were pretty good eating back then.

How did you start out shooting and hunting ?

Default Great thread!

The earliest memory I have of shooting was at four years old with dad's old single-shot 12 ga. Knocked me flat on my back, and I had a bruise half the size of my chest for a few days! I still have my first rifle, a sporterized 6.5 Swede dad gave me on my eighth birthday. By the time I was ten, I had taken 6 caribou and a moose with that gun. Dad passed away this past July, but he gave me a love for guns and shooting that I hope to pass on to my boys.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

Default Had to wait till I was twelve...

to hunt legally, but started shooting WAY before that. Back then, no one said a word about me and my friend pedaling out of town with .22's strapped to the handlebars of our bikes. Mostly rock chucks, gophers and them big black eared jack rabbits out on the desert.
    The year I turned twelve, Dad put he and I in on a controlled elk hunt in Idaho, just west of the boundary of Yellowstone Park. Took two spike bulls that year, one apiece, and two nice big fat mule deer does.
    Also started using my maternal Grandfather's Fulton double barrel twelve, to shoot pheasants, grouse, and such. I was actually better at sneaking up on the Chinee birds with a .22 caliber Benjamin pellet gun and head shooting them in the brush in the back pasture.......

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamace View Post
    The earliest memory I have of shooting was at four years old with dad's old single-shot 12 ga. Knocked me flat on my back, and I had a bruise half the size of my chest for a few days! I still have my first rifle, a sporterized 6.5 Swede dad gave me on my eighth birthday. By the time I was ten, I had taken 6 caribou and a moose with that gun. Dad passed away this past July, but he gave me a love for guns and shooting that I hope to pass on to my boys.
    That's a sweet story dude.

Sweet!

My first hunt was with friends and I was unarmed. Their parents had taught them to hunt, I stepped on to two deer while playing "flusher."

My first gun was a 410 that my grandpa gave to me... I think I sold it for $15.00 and bought some weed.

I'd love to change those moments with you.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default First Hunts

What great stories. Here's mine as best I can remember 61 years ago.

My parents gave me a 22 for my 12th birthday. I have no idea why since none of my relatives hunted or shot.

My best friend (Grant) and I spent a lot of time at his Grandparent's farm. His grandfather had a 12 guage double with big hammers for each barrel. When we were 14 he allowed us to borrow his shotgun & go hunting on his farm. I don't remember having a license but we would take turns carrying the gun. We shot mostly squirrels but other stuff that came in front of us. Once in a while we even killed something. I think I read every article Jack O'Connor ever wrote as well as most other articles in Outdoor Life. My all time favorite was "The Old Man & The Boy" by Robert Ruark. That magazine was my guide to hunting & fishing.

Grant quit hunting by the end of high school and here I am still hunting as much as money will allow some 59 years later.

Default How I started....

I started out chasing squirels with a .22. Then I moved to a .243 and shot my first caribou at 8 and my second at 9. I am 32 now and remember it like it was yesterday. I have 3 kids now and take them bird hunting and whatnot but can't wait to take them out for some real hunting.

Happy Holidays!!

Mike

I don't remember a time we didn't shoot as kids. All our family members had guns and shot all the time. I grew up in Great Fall, MT., and like Darreld, we tied our .22s on our bikes and rode to the edge of town (usually towards the "dump") to shoot and no one gave it a thought.

I got to go to my Grandmother's farm in WA during the summers and she let us shoot as much as we could afford. We'd walk the roads and pick up pop and beer bottles to turn in. We could buy candy or .22 shells...I always got the shells. Latter she moved to MT and I hunted with her a lot. Late in life I went to college FT and worked FT. I took off one fall to go hunt with her. She was 85 and still doing well. She neck shot her deer at about 100 yards...222 with open sights...turned to me and said she didn't see as well as she used to. It was to be her last hunt. The photo of us and her deer is on the fire place so I can glance at her smile as I type.

My Dad drew an antelope tag when I was 9 or 10. It was the first time I got to go along. We chased them all day before we got close enough for him to take a very nice long shot. I was pretty impressed. He had the head mounted and it's on the wall of my gun room. Dad chain smoked cigars, so the antelope is a dirty shade of yellow and brown instead of white and tan. I smile every time I go by it thinking of the good times he shared with me.

Default Now I remember, the good old days.

I grew up on a dairy farm and in up state New York on the edge on the edge of the Adirondack State Park. I can't remember a particular age when I started going in the field, I think I was just old enough to walk and I tag along with the old man, toting my Daisy BB gun. I can still hear him asking me not to rattle the BBs in the gun. The patients that man had.

I think I was 12 or 13 when I wanted to go to the big Deerwood's and hung with the guys. Dad told me that if I could kill a grouse, pheasant, duck and goose that he would think about letting put a couple of slugs in my pocket while doing deer drives. That fall I managed to do what he asked, and he let me carry single shot shotgun with one pocket of bird shot and one pocket of slugs.

The next fall age 13 or 14 hours I was allowed to graduate to the rifle. Dad let me borrow his 30/30 that year. Now I felt like I was one of the men, however I was still delegated to do all the drives. That year I never got a shot at a buck. However the next year on opening day I once again was delegated driver and I jumped a buck from his bed. He ran about 20 yards from his bed stopped and looked back. Now was my chance and I dropped him were he stood. I was now allowed to stand watch on at least a couple of drives per weekend

Having grown up on the farm if I wasn't doing chores you could find me trapping, fishing, hunt or just out exploring. That was the good life.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane.
    Tucker

Default shooting my dads .22

that thing was accurate as all get out. Shot many things with that gun. One day my dad decided it was time for us boys to shoot his single shot 12ga. He put a dirt clod on a stump in a field. I vaguely remember picking myself up out of the ditch. We complained about it and he went out bought recoil pads. Never took a deer with one. I bought a pump 12 ga and took a deer the first day of the season two season in row when my dad let me sit on my own.

I took my nephew out to Indian Valley looking for birds. He just turned 4. I took my .410 for halibut. He showed some interest. I found a plastic cup on the trail and put it in the brush. We backed up. I held the front of the gun since it was still a little long for him. He shouldered. I told him how to aim. Sure as heck he nailed that cup. He let go of the gun. Rubbed his shoulder and said that kinda hurt. I said look you hit the target. He forgot about what little pain there was and was a happy camper. He has since moved out of state. But he still asks when I will take him moose hunting and also he talks about bear hunting too. Now he turned 7 and we are trying to get him and my brother up here for spring bear.

Good thread. Took me back down memory lane for a bit too. Thanks

Talking

I grew up in north Alabama with a family that didn't hunt. We got BB guns around 6 or 7 years old. They were the good ones that you could keep pumping to get a more powerful shot. We tried to "hunt" birds, squirles, and rabbits without any success and ended up in a bb gun war most times. About the time I was 10 I learned how to build a live trap for rabbits and started trapping rabbits that I killed with my bb gun.

When I got to high school I started going deer hunting with friends, always having to borrow one of their guns. I was never successful hunting with them but I always had a good time. In college I finaly bought my own gun and started hunting on my own with some success. I killed a few does and a wild boar. After graduating i moved to south carolina with little hunting success and after that here. I became a resident in October so I'm looking forward to finding some success this next year.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

i grew up in Newfoundland , Canada. many Sundays after Sunday school i would walk to rod and gun club indoor range and my parents would be there and we would shoot .22's, at some point we lost the bolt to my 22, it was an old win. model 1 my dad had it as child, as we would take it out when not using it. i still have that old gun with no bolt
    at age 10 i won a Thanksgiving "turkey" shoot at the rod and gun club.....i was the youngest shooter.
    My first hunt was for moose but i was not legal to hunt and my dad shot a little forked antler bull. i was probably 13 years old.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

My grandfather taught us to hunt. His brother (my great uncle) used to keep beagles so my first hunts were cottontail rabbits back in Ohio. I still remember my first rabbit. It was Thanksgiving Day and the dogs were running a rabbit. I was standing on a stump when it broke out of a brush pile and I rolled it with my single shot .410. I still love the sound of the dogs coursing a rabbit every time I get to go back.