Thread: Rifle Transport During Fly-ins

Default Rifle Transport During Fly-ins

Just wondering if you guys/gals take your rifle cases on fly-in hunts and if so what type?, the reason I ask is because I have the canvas type padded case and of course it will probably get wet thus, adding more weight for me to carry. I am a weight cautious type, and I try to go as light as I can without sacrificing neccessities. I was looking at getting one of those kolpin waterproof/resistant padded cases, or if its even neccessary or worth it, If any of you have them how do you like them? I do like the idea of having padded protection....and not having to re-sight the rifle if it should get bumped around....CK

It depends, if i'm doing a fly in sheep hunt I don't bring a case, if I'm doing a float hunt I bring a soft case and a Kolpin rifle dry bag that rolls up on one end.

Default Cases

Every trip I have done involving a flyout had actually said NO to the black hard plastic type cases. Cases tend to take up too much room even in a beaver or goose. Never tried bringing a soft case but the waterproof case AKHunter talked about may be good for a float. I recommend just leaving it at home if you aren't floating.

Supercub: Rifle in scabbard on wing strut, or held between legs butt down.

Beaver: My rifle and partner's rifle in cheap, light plastic hard case inside plane with other gear.

Never done any float hunting, but might consider a soft case inside a rifle dry bag for that application.

I have never fired any shots to verify my zero once in the field. I have good optics and mounts and have never had a problem with my rifles not holding their zero.

IME Supercubs ...no hard cases allowed,soft case only or no case at all. Soem Superub pilots will have their own make shift scabbard you pu your rifle in. Beavers hard cases and the kitchen sink are allowed. Its a space available issue and depends on the aircraft and amount of gear you have.

Either no case of a soft case. The hard case stays in my truck or at the flying service.

A gun is a tool,no case needed...

years ago my pilot told me "people will throw a case around, but everyone handles a gun carefully"...
    my case has always stayed at the hanger, and like chisana my zero has never been affected.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Exactly Dave... I never case a rifle in a bush airplane. It gets tucked carefully in the gear or held by me. I figure that if a rifle/scope combo cannot stand being in a plane uncased it certainly isn't tough enough to survive a hunt.

Default rifle in plane

1. super cub-between my legs muzzle up
    2. Beaver or Helio-usually in case
    3. Never check sight in in field unless rifle/scope takes a hard lick in a fall during hunt...and even then usually not-every time I have checked all OK.