Thread: How well does jim creek freez?

Default How well does jim creek freez?

Does Jim creek freez up solid to enough to drive a truck over? And does anybody know if it has yet? I would assume it is frozen good but i dont want to be the one to find out its not.

I responded to a pm tonight about this very same question. I've done it once, but there was no snow, it was horribly cold all winter, and Jim Creek was frozen solid with three feet of ice. There wasn't even snow on Jim Creek, it was like an ice rink. If the conditions are not ideal I wouldn't even think of attempting it. I havn't ever witnessed the same conditions on Jim Creek as I did that year.

Jim Creek is a funny place. You can get your truck stuck and cannot get it out, but someone will find a way to flip it and burn it.

I know of cases where tracked vehicles have fallen through. One time in particular, the ice had been drilled and was plenty strong and then a few feet further along the vehicle fell through. There are also quite a few places where the bank is too steep to get back up. Probably your best bet is a snowmachine.

Default fell through ice

two years ago my son and I went through the ice. There were visible signs of other peole crossing (snowmachine and ATV tracks) we were riding double on a ATV it broke through and we played heck getting it out with a 1.5 -2 ft. ice shelf. It was so cold after we got it out with the help of a few people the machine froze up solid. the temps were around 2-3 degrees witha wind chill. Be careful and dont trust other tracks especially where water flows

I rather look for a shallow spot that I can cross even if I do break through. These spots will usually have a lot of tracks where people have crossed.

Even then we have had trucks stuck on the ice where the vehicle became high centered after tires went through.

Bring a high lift jack and some waders and a shovel and a couple other rigs and some tow straps and some wood and some matches oooooooooh you get the picture.

It changes weekly, most of the time. I've driven over it or busted the ice up and drove thru it or busted thru the ice to get stuck. I've driven a big rig up there for the last 15 years, every year. I live on the river and have been watching the ice form for two weeks. I'd say you could drive across it now. But this is something where you drive up to the creek and look! Because if you can drive across there will be plenty of truck tracks for you to see. It ain't no big deal to bust thru anyway, (besides the work)you would be very unlikely to find any water deeper than 2.5 feet. Up by Wolf Point is a more dangerous spot with water 3-4 feet deep under the ice. Like I said though, just drive to JC and look. Tommorow being saturday there will be dozens of trucks either crossing it or not and you surely will be able to see the results.

For some reason I had it in my head you guys wanted to go UP Jim Creek. If you wanted to just cross Jim Creek you should be fine, but definately check it out before you cross like dws mentioned. And preferably have a buddy drive his truck over it first. I see trucks up to Friday Creek in the winter quite often.

check out alaska 4x4 network site those guys are going up there alot and crash thru regularly as well. great photos
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I have only gone through twice and both were at friday creek. One was on the flats the other was right below wolf point at the beaver ponds.

I've gone UP the creek also. If you try this be wary of the springs that stay open in any temp and flow into the creek. Also when you go up about a mile the creek forks, the left goes up to Jim Lake and the right goes to Swan lake. Twenty feet up the the Swan lake creek there must be an underground spring directly beneath the creek, pushing warmer water up towards the ice and eating it away. Many trucks have busted thru in this spot, it's deep and is also a good fishing hole in summer or winter

go on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlIWsTJ5wIM

check it out

Here's a good one too. I should start a thread, "IS METAL CREEK CROSSABLE?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpibZ...eature=related

dws- it has been a while since i've been up jim creek but i believe first left takes you to mudd lake and 2nd takes you to jim lake then short distance later on right is swan lake.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

At the first forks the left takes you to Jim Lake and the right will lead you to the second Y. Take a right at the second Y and you will see Swan Lake. I'm pretty sure Mud Lake is by Jim lake. Man, there are so many lakes in the Jim Creek area.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    At the first forks the left takes you to Jim Lake and the right will lead you to the second Y. Take a right at the second Y and you will see Swan Lake. I'm pretty sure Mud Lake is by Jim lake. Man, there are so many lakes in the Jim Creek area.
    That sounds right. The usually thin ice is at the first forks- to the right.