Thread: "new" .480 ruger models

Default "new" .480 ruger models

It looks like Ruger has rereleased their Super Redhawk and Alaskan in .480 Ruger, but now with a 5-shot capacity instead of 6. I was wondering, does anybody have experience with this caliber? I'm curious to hear more about it before I make my next gun purchase. It sounds like a good caliber for those of us who can't handle .454 casull or .500 s&w, but it sounds like an uncommon round that local sporting goods stores might not carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    It looks like Ruger has rereleased their Super Redhawk and Alaskan in .480 Ruger, but now with a 5-shot capacity instead of 6. I was wondering, does anybody have experience with this caliber? I'm curious to hear more about it before I make my next gun purchase. It sounds like a good caliber for those of us who can't handle .454 casull or .500 s&w, but it sounds like an uncommon round that local sporting goods stores might not carry.
    That's exciting news ...I wonder if they changed the alloy in the cylinder to something weaker (together with thicker walls), or if this means the pressure limit is now higher and hotter loads can be loaded. Or maybe the 'stuck case' problem that some people experienced had something to do with the thinner walls in the 6-round version. Hmmmm. Being able to load hotter rounds would help revive this particular cartridge I think, since it could then be loaded up to (and maybe exceeding) hot .454 Casull rounds if you wanted.

But in any case, you're on the right track with this gun if you want an effective gun without the recoil of the .454 and others ...the knock down values for the .480 Ruger are right up there with the regular .454 Casull stuff but the heavier / larger caliber bullets produce more manageable recoil. The recoil is more like 1-1/2 that of a .44 Mag ...without the high impulse type recoil that you get from the .454. If you get a chance, go try one out. I just sold mine to a friend and am buying a 500 ...seems easy enough to shoot for my 250+ lb frame and big hands (gotta lotta ballast in the trunk .)

Brian

The .480 is a good round, but I perfer the .454. I honestly can't tell much difference in the recoil, if both have good aftermarket grips. I bought my Ruger .454 and a buddy bought it in .480. He and I shoot together quite a bit, and with the right grips, even the .454 is not that bad. If you can handle full-power .44 Magnum loads in a Redhawk, you can handle the .454 in the Super Redhawk.

I shoot 300 grain CorBon and Winchester ammo in mine (plus reloads), and the recoil is stiff but manageable with the aftermarkets. It hurts like the dickens and is hard to control with those factory grips, either the .480 or the .454.

Another consideration is the availability of ammo in the .480 where you are or plan to go.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

This is good news. I have a Puma 92 in the .480. I thought it was headed the way of the dodo bird.
    pete

I went on the Ruger website and looked at the "new" .480. Yes, it is now a 5-shot, but the part that caught my eye is now the standard factory grip is the Hogue finger model.

This is excellent for these big calibers. I hated those factory wood/rubber grips, as with those, it hurt to shoot my .454. I have replaced all of my Rugers with these Hogue grips, as they just work. I can control all of them now, and I don't get that painful slap on my middle finger any more, even with my Super Blackhawk. With these grips, I am in total control with my .454 and it is not that bad of a recoil now. Ruger was smart to go this route.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???