Thread: High Flying Pintails

Default High Flying Pintails

Does anyone have any tips on how to get huge flocks of pintails to get within shooting range? I had a 1 dozen mallard and 20 pintail decoys plus a mojo and the only birds that I could get to come in were mallards. How do you get the pintails to come in?

Default Whistle.....then whistle some more and hope!

My experience has been:

Most pintails won't land into a spread when they are already in a large flock. Pintails that are loners will come in to feel comfortable with a larger group of other ducks.

Use your whistle and put a few pintails in your spread. I mostly use my pintails to liven up my spread for other dekes.....more less a confidence decoy.

Seems that most pintail that are flocked together are always on a mission.

If you find out something that works let me know too.

Were you using a pintail whistle? That would help.

Did you try using a Pintail call? Sometimes that will work. I remember back in Oregon we could get them to come in using really big spreads. We would put out about 100 decoys. They would suck right in to those. The only problem was, you can only shoot one pintail per day there. So first thing in the morning we would have a flock of about 50 come in, We would all pick out our bull sprig, and drop him. Then we had to watch flocks of 50 or so pintails work our decoys all day, and there was nothing we could do about it. Cool to watch, but it drove the dog nuts.

I hunted pintails alot on the Texas coast. I found that they tend to circle the decoys alot and also make really large circles. Sometimes you would think they kept trucking and when you let your guard down and looked around they would be right on top of you and flare. We just kept using the whistle and whistled alot and often. Also used alot of drake pintail decoys.

out

Default Sssssppprrriii..Pintail!

Them sprig are like what every one else already said. Fairly social birds and sometimes can be the smartest bird and other days are just plain suicidal. My spread in Southen Cal always consisted of a mix of gads, widgeon, pintail and a few mallards and my lucky spoony decoy. Sometimes a robo duck would be in there too. Get one of those pintail whistles that look like a T and have a ball in it and try to sound like a pintail. Pretty effective call, that and the widgeon whistle since I tend to see them mixed fairly often. Absolutely bueatiful birds with those chocolate heads and long pins this time of year.

Default In Oklahoma, at least...

Getting pins to drop in was limited to times when the ice had put a limit on the number of open water locations. 2-4 Mallard dekes in an open section (natural or not) brought in pintails better than anything else I have ever seen. They would drop in so hard some time that they'd miss the open water and skid-land on the ice...absolutely hilarious!

Biggest flock I've ever had drop in on me was six--and I performed a single-shot triple that cost me $117 to the local game warden...oops. My buddy watching from about 100yds away thought that it was the coolest shot he'd seen, until he found out that they were pintails. Now I collect decoys, pictures and artwork in pintail over anything else!

Up here I haven't seen enough pintails together to call a flock...maybe concentrate more on pass-shooting than bringing them to the decoys for a gear-down landing.

IceKing02

Default In Oklahoma, at least...

Getting pins to drop in was limited to times when the ice had put a limit on the number of open water locations. 2-4 Mallard dekes in an open section (natural or not) brought in pintails better than anything else I have ever seen. They would drop in so hard some time that they'd miss the open water and skid-land on the ice...absolutely hilarious!

Biggest flock I've ever had drop in on me was six--and I performed a single-shot triple that cost me $117 to the local game warden...oops. My buddy watching from about 100yds away thought that it was the coolest shot he'd seen, until he found out that they were pintails. Now I collect decoys, pictures and artwork in pintail over anything else!

Up here I haven't seen enough pintails together to call a flock...maybe concentrate more on pass-shooting than bringing them to the decoys for a gear-down landing.

IceKing02

Be where they want to be at.