Thread: FT Rich Archery Moose hunt

Thumbs up FT Rich Archery Moose hunt

Well a Few of us got our moose yesterday. We hunted the 14b section of Ft Rich and took 2 cows and 2 bulls, and I heard another bull was taken off the artic valley road too. There were still alot of moose up high. COLD, it was -5 when we left the truck!! Spent 2 days on the NW side of the highway and didn't see much sign, except LOTS of wolf tracks!! Anyway If there areany other tag holders needing to fill the tag head up high, and in 14b there are at least 6-8 animals .5-2miles in up that trail that I saw, probably more, but thats what I saw for sure.
    Have fun!

Question pics?

Any pictures? Size of bulls? Just curious... Congrats on your harvest!

You mean unit 14C?

Default FT Rich

TBLOOMA,

Did you go in off of Basher or head in from Muldoon?????

Default Moose

yes, we went in off of basher, that is the shortest way to the top, and someone has hacked out the trail pretty nice. Biggest bull was 36 inches, not sure about the other one. I got a Cow, got pics, but got to resize them to post. to explain more on the area, it is 14c in the Alaska regs, but 14b within the Ft Rich area, that explains it clear as mud, but if you ever draw the permit you will understand.

TBLOOMA,

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't registered yet so a friend hooked me up. That is where I have been thinking about going. I shouldn't have been such a wuss and went, but I am off next week for 7 days, so I think I will hit hard then.....

Ken

Default ft. rich

I am the non resident from Co. I killed a bull right at tree line on opening day. He was about 37 inches. I have looked at over 30 Moose since arriving in Ak. I have been able to identify at least 5 bulls that have dropped their horns already. I killed the largest bull I have seen this week. We did see another smaller bull and one about like mine sparring after we butchered my moose. That was really cool.

We hacked that trail out on our way back in for the second trip of meat packing. It really made a difference. The sleds were the real key. It was like walking a dog. Two of got the whole moose out in two trips. One with packs that nearly killed us, and one with sleds and packs that was much easier.

Crai
    Pick A Spot

Default treeline bull

I got a bull up there on Tuesday afternoon not far from Mik from Colorado, btw thanks for clearing that trail. there was a wolverine working over his gutpile. 36" spread single brow tine, too cold for my camera to work that day. I got a front shoulder out the first night after hanging the rest in trees. My son had packed a sled up there but he was too cramped from the hike so we saved most of the haul work til the next day. The sled held all the meat, he brought the XL version, and we got it out in one trip except for the last uphill section from Campbell cr, did some butt draggin and wondering if we shouldn't offload some on the steeper downhill sections but it worked. There was a bull and 2 cows still up there just above the treeline when we left

I was in the same area last night til 1AM helping my buddy get his bull out. sleds are definitly the trick.

His bull has already dropped his antlers though. It was a pain in the butt but we pulled him out in 1 trip.

Default recent moose sightings for those with a tag

The wife and I took a drive up to Alpenglow Ski Area this afternoon (Saturday) just to check out the slopes. Passed a few archery hunters on the way up. On the way back down we stopped at the first big curve that gives you a pretty good overlook for the Anchorage area. While glassing the opens to the left of the golf course, we spotted 4 moose in one opening and another moose in the adjacent opening. Since I'm not all that familiar with the area, the best way I can describe where they're located is if you go up to that curve, you'll see the golf course fairways that are wide open and snow covered, to the left of Arctic Valley Road (if you're going downhill) that runs along the golf course is another opening - perhaps the golf course driving range....? And then the next large opening (mostly open but somewhat brushy) to the left of that is where all the moose were located. Best I could tell they were east of Ship Creek. I'm assuming this area is on the base and part of the unit. Might be a bit of a hike in there from any access points, but it's flat ground so a sled may help for the hopeful pack out....

I know i may be nuts but if anybody wants help skinning and packing/sledding out and i am available i would help. I got mine this year so i can shoot another one but always like being part of a hunt even if its the misserable part and i hope to be in better shape for next year. anyways pm me if you think you may want help and ill get you my cell number.