Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tundra LT 4 stroke

Default Tundra LT 4 stroke

Anybody have the Skidoo Tundra LT with the 800 4 stroke? If so, what do you think of it? And how do you use it? (hunting, pleasure riding etc)

Default A what!!!!

Didnt even know they had such a thing? Are you sure you not confusing it with somthing else? That would be like a 426 hemi on a skateboard. usually the tundra has a 298 single lunger. Its a little utility sled I use on a trapling. A 800 huh? I wouldnt think that monster would fit in the tub. Dam but that thing would pull my sled. Id love to ride one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,once;-)

No I'm not confused. I think it is a bit bigger than the old Tundras you're thinking of. (although they do still have a 300 Tundra)

http://www.ski-doo.com/en-US/Snowmob...m?Sled=Skandic

Platform:
    RF
    Engines:
    550F
    V-800
    Colors:
    Yellow / Smoke
    Front Suspension:
    RF
    Rear Suspension:
    SC-5M
    Front Shocks:
    Motion Control
    Rear Shocks:
    HPG
    Dry Weight:
    244 kg / 539 lbs

Package Highlights:
    4-TEC® V-800 four-stroke engine

RFTM platform

NEW 16 x 154 x 1.5-inch track

NEW SCTM-5M rear suspension

NEW Front spring pre-load adjuster

PilotTM 6.9 skis

Two-up seat with backrest

Electric start

Reverse

Cargo rack

Hitch

Mountain strap

Riser block

Default tundra 800

I looked at one at compeaus in Fairbanks but bought the 550F instead, plenty of power for what I need!!

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1 View Post
    I looked at one at compeaus in Fairbanks but bought the 550F instead, plenty of power for what I need!!
    So you like it pretty good? That's two stroke, right?

I couldn't find horse power ratings on the Skidoo engines, I wonder how they compare?

Might check out doo talk for info on the 800.

I bought the 550F and it's a nice set up.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    Might check out doo talk for info on the 800.

I bought the 550F and it's a nice set up.
    Doo talk? I'll see if I can find it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GreginAlaska View Post
    Doo talk? I'll see if I can find it.
    Thanks

sorry try: http://dootalk.com/

A friend who lives in Eagle River bought one and a 550F for his wife. First trip out, earlier this year, he permenantly traded her before the day was out. He said it was powerful and a lot like riding a tank. Not very forgiving or manuverable, yet good for her. He is much happier with the 550F.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    A friend who lives in Eagle River bought one and a 550F for his wife. First trip out, earlier this year, he permenantly traded her before the day was out. He said it was powerful and a lot like riding a tank. Not very forgiving or manuverable, yet good for her. He is much happier with the 550F.
    Thanks upstream.

Hi akres, I saw some people on dootalk say it is a quite a bit front heavy, do you think that is what your friend found too?

I also saw one member say it was rated at 67 horsepower, that seems low for an 800? Yamaha has a 500 rated at 80 hp, but I can't find anybody who advertises all the pertinent specs. (how much torque at x RPM and how much horsepower at x rpm etc) It's hard to compare engines without knowing the right things. oh well.

I'm hearing people are liking the 550.

Default 550f

Greginalaska, yes I like it alot. The 550 has plenty of power and I find it's pretty maneuverable. It's kinda tippy but I think thats what makes it maneuver so well you just have to learn how to throw your weight around. I think it weighs in at 500 pds so in the chance you get stuck it's fairly light but it does come with reverse too. I think it's a good all around machine..................

Thanks face and thunder!
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GreginAlaska View Post
    Thanks upstream.

Hi akres, I saw some people on dootalk say it is a quite a bit front heavy, do you think that is what your friend found too?

I also saw one member say it was rated at 67 horsepower, that seems low for an 800? Yamaha has a 500 rated at 80 hp, but I can't find anybody who advertises all the pertinent specs. (how much torque at x RPM and how much horsepower at x rpm etc) It's hard to compare engines without knowing the right things. oh well.

I'm hearing people are liking the 550.

I like my 550F. I've heard too that the 800 is nose heavy.

I want to get the 300 Tundra for my wife, its pretty light and not too much power for her. Pretty affordable too. Now if only Santa will bring me that 5 feet of snow thats on my Christmas list....

Greg in Alaska, guys at work were just talking about the 800 tundra and I was going to post a thread and lo-and-behold its already there. It would make sense that the 800 would be more nose heavy but with probably double the HP of the 550 fan, seems like it wouldn't be too much of a problem. The whole 800 in the tundra on the RF platform seems a little silly to me. Usually people who buy these type of utility sleds aren't going to go ripping around high-marking and whatnot, and just using them to haul gear, supplies, run their trapline, etc. On the other hand, an 800 tundra might make it more fun for the guy who only wants one sled that, kind of, does both play and work hard. Hard core sledder is also a good website with thousands of users with brand sections, state sections, classifieds, etc., so I'll do some checking there.

Thanks upstream & Hunt

Ya I was thinking of finding a sled that could "do it all". I guess that might be like looking for a rifle that can do it all...they don't exist.
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Greg in Alaska, guys at work were just talking about the 800 tundra and I was going to post a thread and lo-and-behold its already there. It would make sense that the 800 would be more nose heavy but with probably double the HP of the 550 fan, seems like it wouldn't be too much of a problem. The whole 800 in the tundra on the RF platform seems a little silly to me. Usually people who buy these type of utility sleds aren't going to go ripping around high-marking and whatnot, and just using them to haul gear, supplies, run their trapline, etc. On the other hand, an 800 tundra might make it more fun for the guy who only wants one sled that, kind of, does both play and work hard. Hard core sledder is also a good website with thousands of users with brand sections, state sections, classifieds, etc., so I'll do some checking there.
    The new 550LT (or even the 300 or 800) ain't your granddaddy's Tundra.

It's a nice balance between work and play. That includes the 550.

I hear the 300 isn't a bad balance between the two either, except that it doesn't have the top end speed of the other two. I hear it's around 50mph top end, but don't know that for sure.

I think that if you've just got to have it, then the 800 is worth the extra bucks. Otherwise, save some money and get a 550F.

Talk to Chuck at the ER CC Skidoo. He's a wealth of knowledge and can help you decide what's best for you situation. I don't think he's the kind of guy that'd steer you wrong just to get the sale.

Ken

Default jsut bought one.

i let go of my yamaha venture and all it's beautiful blue smoke for the 4 stroke 800 tundra. i don't want to buy all that gas and oil anymore. i've been running around locally for a couple of days and have a couple pro's and cons.
    no pull start as a back up, liq cooled, more top heavy(tippy), no speedometer, kill switch on key, are the things i don't enjoy about this sled. naturally it doesn't ride as leisurely as my touring sled did. i did jump it a few times and the nose stayed up. i'm getting a speedometer put on next week.
    on the pro side as mentioned, 25 mi/gal, no oil burned. comes with a hitch and the storage rack on the back holds an action packer like it was custom made. when you hit the throttle it about jumps out from underneath you with the power, i haven't opened it up because i'm still breaking it in but i'm told it'll do about 65 which as said before isn't grandads tundra. oh yeah, ultra ultra quiet. it's not a solid workhorse like a bravo and not the best mountain highmarker, but it is the next all around play toy for versatilty.

Default 800

Just read an article in the fairbanks newspaper about a couple who took a trip into the white mountains with a tundra 800 and the temps dropped between -40 to -50 and of course the machine wouldnd't start so they tried to warm it up with a weed burner and still couldn't get it started so they had to drag it into a cabin and let it warm up overnight to start it. I'll stick with my two stroke thank you plus even though it's an electric start it still has a pull start and an emergency back-up pull start too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast