Thread: 14 foot jon boat and moter questions

Default 14 foot jon boat and moter questions

I just picked up a 14 foot jon boat. Got to love the prices you can buy marine items in Dec. I need a moter. Would a 9.9 be able to handle two people and gear upriver? I am thinking of setting up a bait station in 16 B. Any and all advice would be appreciated. I am pretty sure this is a better boat than my 12 Zodiac for the rivers.

What is the bottom width?

I just sold my 14 foot jon boat due to it not running shalow enogh for most rivers with a prop so i would really look into like a 15 or 20 horse jet. mine with a 7.5 horse prop and about 250 lbs in the boat crused 15. pesonally i would go with like a 15 prop if your planning on loading it down or a 20 jet. I ran a 15 on mine a few years back and with about 500 pouns it would cruse 20 or 25 so it was much better and you have to keep in mind current when your going up stream, On the knik i was only mooving 8 mph on the gps up river with the 7.5.

I believe 4 feet wide

I have a 14ft lowe that I use over at minto with a 15hp. It works great with two guys and a dog and Decoys. It flys when your buy yourself! My 15 blew up anybody got one they want to sell cheap!
    Tim

Default I would have my doubt

for good expectations for upstream with 2 persons and gear with a 9.9 hp. I think it would move you around pretty good on a still waters and with one guy on the river with a limited load.

Water flow can really change quickly on rivers and new obstacles can appear day by day (Sweepers/Strainers/Log Jams ect) it's nice to know you have enough HP you may need to avoid or beat the current if you need too.

Even familaur rivers can catch you with your pants down if you let your guard down.

Personally, I would go bigger. In this case bigger is better.

When I had my 14' jon I started with a 7.5 and that worked OK on still water but was way under powered for rivers with 2 full grown "Alaskan Sized" guys. I swaped it out for a 15 hp and that made all the difference in the world. I would go for the 15.

Default Surface Drive?

What about a surface drive, like a Go Devil? How would that perform on a boat this size? Are they good for shallow rivers?

My duck-hunting buddy has a Lowe 1448 with a 25 horse Yamaha (prop) on it that is used mostly at Jim Creek/ Mud Lake. It goes about 25 mph on still water with 2 guys and duck gear. That motor is definitely not too much, and having run around in it I would not want much less.

Doug

I have a 23hp mudbuddy surface drive on a 1448. You need at least 10" of water over a hard bottom. GPS speeds on the Tanana with 500lbs in the boat are about 17 up and 24 down, depending on current. In one spot with a heavier load it would go about 6mph up river, then turn around and you're doing 25. Burns 1.5-2 gph

I would like to try the motor on a prop tunneled hull.