Thread: whats the average markup for ammo?

Default whats the average markup for ammo?

Im just curious if we are getting hosed up here or not for ammo. I was looking at midway and midsouth at .223 ammo and 7.62x39. We pay 100.00 more per 1000 than the rest of the lower 48. I mean come on I doubt that it costs 100 per 1000 rounds to ship.

I think we are getting soaked cause we have to rely on gunstores for ammo and no access to outside sources.

I think you're right. What can we do? Any ideas?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Open a gun store with competitive pricing. Government regulation is for the birds and healthy capitalism and competition is key.

Now ...how does Golden Valley get away with such huge fuel surcharges when they burn coal to make our power? We're paying 25% more for electricity than last year and 50% more for fuel oil... something's fishy in Fairbanks. It's called 'monopolies'.

Brian

went to a gunstore today. One of the guys there who I trust to give me the straight dope says that they dont make any money off of ammo. Its just the way it is. He's not the owner though so I dont know how much he knows.

Maybe V.F. Grace is the one being sleezy?

I have heard you only pay a fixed hazmat fee for a pallet of ammo. I wonder how much ammo you can get on a pallet and what the fee is.

If we could figure that out, we'd have our answer.

I did some quick estimates based on some heresay info. I worked it out to 2200 dollars to have 10000 rounds of 223 delivered with a 400 hazmat fee applied for the pallet. To buy the same quantity in a store would cost 2500.

SO maybe the markup isnt that much. But I think you could put 20000 rounds on a pallet. A 1000 round case isnt that big. If that is the case then yes we are getting hosed.

Default Not gouging

Over the last couple of years the ammo manufacturers have steadily raised their dealer prices using the International market, the war, etc. for the reason. I do know that copper is about 7000 a ton and lead around 4000. The gunstores up here only order twice a year or so to distributors in the Lower 48 for a shipment of ammunition. In between times they fill in with whatever VFG has. The barging costs plus hazmat are pretty heavy. Whoever trucks the ammo from the distributor also charges for delivering to the barging company. VFG has no competition up here and their prices to the dealers up here reflect that. The big box store in town has its own distributorship and shipping, so that's different. The mark-up on ammo on the shelves is less then you think, as well as for reloading components. Same old story of the small businesses being stuck between the distributors and the customers.

Ridiculous that a box of ammo that had cost $6 a few years ago now costs $12. Thanks to P. Bush.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    went to a gunstore today. One of the guys there who I trust to give me the straight dope says that they dont make any money off of ammo. Its just the way it is. He's not the owner though so I dont know how much he knows.

Maybe V.F. Grace is the one being sleezy?

I have heard you only pay a fixed hazmat fee for a pallet of ammo. I wonder how much ammo you can get on a pallet and what the fee is.....
    The key is filling a container (as in "conex" type container) in order to ship economically and in accordance with the HazMat reg change passed a few years ago. And only a wholesaler can do that economically.

I've heard that Sportsman's Warehouse doesn't' buy their ammo from Grace, and they ship their own, but I don't know how true that is.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Im just curious if we are getting hosed up here or not for ammo. I was looking at midway and midsouth at .223 ammo and 7.62x39. We pay 100.00 more per 1000 than the rest of the lower 48. I mean come on I doubt that it costs 100 per 1000 rounds to ship.

I think we are getting soaked cause we have to rely on gunstores for ammo and no access to outside sources.
    I shipped two boxes of 5.56 800/each box last month; cost $206 airfreight.

who did you airfreight it through? I thought ammo had to barge. Or are you talking about from anchorage to the bush via private carrier?

from Portland to Anchorage via UPS 2nd day

I also sent via FEDEX air, cases of 22LR for $37 from Anniston to Anchorage; and I have used FEDEX for some other small shipments

Ammo is ORM-D and is Cartridges, Small Arms for shipping purposes

I have also used Keytrans and Pacific Freight Forwards for LTL, over the dock shipments. I recall the brak even point on the minimum freight charge was 400 lbs...that was a few years ago. YMMV